7mm Mag to 284 Win????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm Mag to 284 Win????

Can I take the action from a 7mm Mag and make a 284 out of it?

Additionally, the donor 7mm action would be coming from an early 70's Rem 700 BDL. Would it be a better move to just sell the entire rifle and buy another 284?

Not positive but I think the .284 is short action and 7 mag is long.

Comment

IMO the longer action and longer mag box is a big plus as it will let you seat bullets out closer to the lands for usually improved accuracy. The big "if" is whether the bolt face of the 7Mag will accept the .284. I don't have access to my reloading manual right now but it is an easy look-up.

I just checked the rim diameters of both cartridges and the 7Mag is considerably larger than the .284 which is a rebated rim cartridge, meaning the diameter of the rim is smaller than the base of the cartridge. So--looks like it is a no-go unless you can come up with another bolt.

And, the .284 is a short cartridge, developed originallly by Win for the Model 88 lever gun.
      Last edited by dustoffer; 12-25-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        Not positive but I think the .284 is short action and 7 mag is long.
        That would be a problem but I thought 284 was long......but that's why I'm asking here??

Comment

nope

wrong size bolt face ... magnum = .532" , and the 284 has a .473" size face

some ppl have used a LA for the 284 in order to seat bullets long

Comment

Stiller makes a new action / mid size for 284 and short mag. Manners and McMillan are the only one I know of making stocks for it. Pretty cool though

Comment

You could but you'd need to buy another bolt and have it fitted. Not worth the effort or expense.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                You could but you'd need to buy another bolt and have it fitted. Not worth the effort or expense.
                This and the feed rails are likely too big. That could possibly be fixed with a different magazine but not worth it imo.

Comment

I prefer my .284 built on a long action as mine is to seat vld type bullets out longer but, as CajunBlake said, the bolt faces are different. Plenty of great cartriges to build off of the .540 bolt face you have.

Comment

Long action would be an advantage to use on a 284 but as already stated you would need a new bolt and feed rails may not work.

Comment

Working...
                    X