No announcement yet.

Best All Around Deer Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber wise 270. I'm partial to the older Ruger 77's. But I do Have a Thompson Encore in 25/06 I starting to really like.

Comment

Originally posted by meangreen View Post
      older model 700 243

This is what I have. About what year did Remington quality go down hill?

Comment

Tikka T3 in 7mm-08.

Comment

30-06 Remington 760/7600 carbine pump. Great gun for a shotgun hunter to keep that same comb.

Comment

Let him shoot all your guns and whichever one he shoots best give to him.

Your welcome.

Comment

When I picture a gifted rifle it has a few things absolutely necessary...

Walnut stock, jeweled bolt, blued steel.

Something like this https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790450727

Comment

Remmy 700 bdl in .270- most accurate out of the box rifle there is. Put a 4x12 leupold on it. That set up will last a lifetime and kill anything on the North American continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                  Remmy 700 bdl in .270- most accurate out of the box rifle there is. Put a 4x12 leupold on it. That set up will last a lifetime and kill anything on the North American continent.

Good set up but I beg to differ on the accuracy part.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by thwackdaddy View Post
                    weatherby vanguard wilderness or the vanguard sporter chambered in .257 wby mag. Scope of your choice, 110gr nosler accubonds (although i have been considering trying the hornady precision hunter 110gr eld-x bullet)
                    this ^^^^^^

Comment

Bought my 10 yr. old son a Ruger American in .243 with a Nikon Prostaff scope on it. I love this combination! When we are in the blind and it is actually my turn to shoot, I never even pick my gun up. I just use his. Deadly!

Comment

Love my tikka t3 in 7mm-08. Also hearing great things about the Sauer 100 rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          Great info and my son is digesting this thread. He's 18, 210 pds and 6'3"...a grown man I guess. **** I'm getting old.lol

For the Remington 700 fans, my go to rifle is a Rem 700 30-06 BDL and an older model, 24 years old actually. I broke it out Sunday evening and heart shot this fella at 175 yards. Never had an issue with it but not sure if I could find an older model, maybe a .308 or .270.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          I will be more than willing to help find an older bdl or any other rig you & the boy choose...

Comment

Savage model 11 trophy hunter 308 with 150 gr hornady interloks. Has nikon 3-9×40 BDC scope on it. Can stack 5 rounds in a 1 in in circle at 100 yds. Has dropped everything I've shot in its tracks. Will not break the bank account. Lots,of good guns and calibers to choose from. My savage gets the job done and not any complaints.

Comment

Ruger american in 7mm08 topped with a Leupold 3x9 scope. Light recoil,easy to pack, and accurate. Plus it’s a shooter.

Comment

for an all-around life time rig I would go with a simi-custom in either 280 or 280AI.

That is exactly what I did for both of my sons.

I love my 270, and I really like 7-08 but both are lacking on the upper end if he should get the chance to Elk hunt or something IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X