Home builders, I have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home builders, I have some questions

So, my wife any myself are looking to move into a place of our own and contemplating our options. I am currently in the process of securing a little piece of dirt to build. My question is, what is a reasonable sq footage price for a rectangular shaped pier and beam construction with a metal roof. Single story, about 1500 sq ft. Preferably 3 bedrooms. I know there are many variables, but im looking for a ballpark just to kind of see what we are getting into if its something we want to pursue further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In GA you would be in a ballpark of $100 per square foot heated.

Of course the sky is the limit depending on finishes. As an example, you can put $2,500 windows in your house or $25,000 windows. $5,000 cabinets or $25,000 cabinets, ect.

My most popular plan is a 1,554 square foot ranch. We sell it for $240,000 on a slab.

Comment

The bad news is everything is going crazy price wise.

I order a framing package last week. I ordered the exact same framing package 13 months ago. It had gone up 41% in 13 months! Lumber is at a record high. 7/16 OSB is over $18 per sheet.

Comment

As you stated lots of variables. $130-$150 per square foot for a stick built home complete is in the ballpark. You could also look at a barndominium and save a little cash.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
          The bad news is everything is going crazy price wise.

I order a framing package last week. I ordered the exact same framing package 13 months ago. It had gone up 41% in 13 months! Lumber is at a record high. 7/16 OSB is over $18 per sheet.
          I ordered my framing package in November 2016. Paid $9.50 for 7/16 OSB. Three moths later it was $12.50/sheet. Not sure why lumber prices are going crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
            Not sure why lumber prices are going crazy.

Comment

And labor is going up at a fast rate too!

What area are you building in? Rates could vary by area. Can you do some of the work yourself or sub it out yourself?

Comment

Lumber prices will begin to come back down within the next few weeks from what suppliers are telling me. I have slabs on the ground waiting. Framing labor has jumped though and won't be coming down unless we have a major slow down though.

In our area, $100 per foot (heated/ac) won't buy much but I see it done. $125-135 is more in line to what most will want.

Comment

Very revealing. Looks like I chose the right time to build.

Comment

Freight is going up on everything as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                      And labor is going up at a fast rate too!

What area are you building in? Rates could vary by area. Can you do some of the work yourself or sub it out yourself?

North of Houston unfortunately. Which is the epicenter of the housing crisis from Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                        Lumber prices will begin to come back down within the next few weeks from what suppliers are telling me. I have slabs on the ground waiting. Framing labor has jumped though and won't be coming down unless we have a major slow down though.

In our area, $100 per foot (heated/ac) won't buy much but I see it done. $125-135 is more in line to what most will want.

We were not really looking to build anything spectacular. Between 1100 and 1500 sq ft. 3 bed 1 full bath. More like a starter home. Laminate floor, simple cabinetry, composite counter tops. Maybe those smaller space saver units i stead of large central air.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                          We were not really looking to build anything spectacular. Between 1100 and 1500 sq ft. 3 bed 1 full bath. More like a starter home. Laminate floor, simple cabinetry, composite counter tops. Maybe those smaller space saver units i stead of large central air.

You may want to reconsider 1 bath in a 3 bedroom house. If you decide to sell down the road it will be much less marketable than a 2 bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post

Do you build in Waco?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              You may want to reconsider 1 bath in a 3 bedroom house. If you decide to sell down the road it will be much less marketable than a 2 bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X