Bow string slapping armguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow string slapping armguard

I'm shoot a longbow brace height at 7.5 . After shooting a few round when I take my armguard off I have a small red mark on my arm. Is this normal or do I have to keep tweaking the brace height.

Could be your BH, could be your grip too. Are you making sure your elbow is turned out?

Comment

Form issue. I don't use an arm guard for any of my bows. Compound, recurve or long bow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I would agree with the above comments that it is probably something with your form, and most likely grip. You should not be getting a red mark on your arm through the arm guard though! I would get a thicker arm guard to stop that. Also, some guys just have to use an arm guard. I’m not one of them. The only bows I use an arm guard with are my self bows, and that is because they have very low brace heights.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Towboater View Post
          I'm shoot a longbow brace height at 7.5 . After shooting a few round when I take my armguard off I have a small red mark on my arm. Is this normal or do I have to keep tweaking the brace height.

only time my arm gets slapped is when my string stretches and the BH gets to short.
          Check your form and experiment a little with the BH

Comment

I too believe it to lie with form and grip. The only time I ever use an arm guard is in cool to cold weather to help keep clothing closer to my arm so bowstring does not hit it.

Comment

I would agree with grip. Sounds like you are getting to much palm on the riser. Your palm may be to far around the riser which will bring your arm closer to the string.

Like others have said, I don't need an arm guard for shooting. I do ware one while hunting in bulky clothes to keep my sleeves out of the string.

Play with your grip and good luck.

JC

Comment

Don't worry about it. After awhile the nerves will die and it won't bother you much. I do wear an arm guard with a long bow, though, or when I use a recurve with a very low brace height. They seem to hit closer to the wrist where the nerves are still good.

Comment

What armguard are you using? Is it a bruising red mark... or just an imprint from the leather/material in that spot.

You should really be able to tell if the string hits the guard... not feel it necessarily, but hear it and notice if you arrow flies a little weird.

I wore an armguard for a while because I'd have issues of hitting my arm every now and again, and it was enough to make me think about it and flinch, etc. So I wore an armguard and one day I was in a hurry and didn't put it on... then decided next day not to.. and now I just don't wear it... pretty much because I haven't tagged my self since (5 months.)

Like everybody else said... it is likely your form.

Comment

Ok thanks for the information guys. Going to try and work on my form to see if works.

Comment

Do you shoot canted or straight up and down?

Comment

Working...
                      X