Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling

Who rattles , where and when ?

I do, anywhere I hunt when the rut gets closer and I rattle often. Even early season I have had success rattling but I just barley tickle the horns together.

Comment

I have tried it a couple times over the past couple years. But I was ignorant and doing it wrong. I was rifle hunting and saw nothing at a feeder, so I thought I'd do some rattling. Well, I rattled in a nice deer in... right behind me.

I learned that day that rattling requires careful thought on where you are, the wind, and being certain of how it is they will approach you.

Comment

Rattled up my very first deer in 1986 and have been a believer ever since. Last buck I shot, I rattled in and a few weeks before that, I had a big 10 pt. rattled in to 15 yards before he ducked my arrow.

It works very well the first time a buck hears it. The second time, not so much. So you'd better use it sparingly and be prepared when you do. Sometimes, they will come running in and you have less than 20 seconds to grab your bow and make the shot before they take off. That's usually how it happens to me.

In the 80's I had a set of horns tied together but these days, I just use a rattling bag and it works just as well.

Watch the wind, and rattle on clear cold mornings and evenings when they are wanting to move. You won't rattle a trophy up out of his bed. That much I know.

Comment

I do out in Rocksprings in mid November. I have had really good success with it in the past. Nothing like bringing one in all puffed up looking for a fight.

Comment

It works, but is much easier with 2 people; one to hunt and the 2nd to do the rattling.

Bisch

Comment

I do a lot but I also use a doe decoy with it. Once I see the buck I don't rattle but might grunt at him it just depends on how he is reacting to he decoy. The decoy is great because it takes his attention away from you and puts it all on the decoy. I will be rattling opener as the rut has just started down here. I don't rattle at feeders because it just doesn't work well but I have several stands away from feeders on travel routes that it works great. I bet a rattled in over 100 bucks last year and freaking blew a 10 yard shot at a 150" buck and that is a monster for our area on the second week of the season last year.

Comment

I rattle my son's first buck, I am convince it works better as the rut gets closer.

Comment

I love to rattle. Wait until the rut is on. Find a place that you have a good view all around you.

Comment

Rattled in my 1st bow kill. Have rattled in many deer. Have not gotten a really nice buck from it yet though. It sure is entertaining to watch those young bucks come charging in all blown up and ready to throw down....right up until a buck just a bit larger decides this is his turf and runs the youngster off.
                    I love rattling. Sometimes you can hit 'em and they just come out of the woodwork. I've rattled and then looked around a couple minutes later and realized that I was completely surrounded by deer. It's a pretty cool feeling.

By no means do I have it down to a science though. I have also Spooked off deer that I didn't know we're there. One morning I ran off a really nice buck that I had no idea had come in behind me. I rattled, heard running behind me, looked and he was big and making his way into the brush before I could get a shot.

Comment

Yup
                      Get wind at ur back they always circle downwind
                      Hit horns for 5 min then pause then 5 then pause
                      I do this if none run in move to another spot
                      Light wind early morning is key.
                      Smash some brush and sticks...if u have 2 hunters have him sit 50 yds or so in front so he can intercept

It works! I've killed big deer but u gotta have a solid buck to doe ratio otherwise they don't really need to fight for a hot doe

Comment

perfected my rattle last year. Watched a ton of videos. Had the best time of my life last year rattling in several bucks.

I did it from a tripod and saw one little buck run 300+ yards to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                          but u gotta have a solid buck to doe ratio otherwise they don't really need to fight for a hot doe
                          I think this is a very important part of the rattling equation!!!!!

Bisch
                          Last edited by Bisch; 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post

I did it from a tripod and saw one little buck run 300+ yards to me.
                            That is my favorite part, being able to see them come in.

Comment

I had two come in @ the same time and one I thought he was going to run over me and gave me a bit of a scare for a moment. Hair raised up on the back of their necks ready for a fight. I love to rattle them up when the are active.

Comment

Working...
                              X