.44 bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.44 bullets

going to load some 44 for use in a rifle to shoot hogs,,, what bullet do you suggest,,, and please skip the factory ammo and other calibers,,, and how many hogs have you taken with the bullet you suggest

Shot a a few pigs and deer with a hornady ftx and W296 hand loads using a handi-rifle. All in the 50 yards or less range. Recoil was lighter than the heavy bullets and it worked well.

Comment

Hornady XTP is a great bullet for hogs! The bullet is a deep penetrator even though it is a HP.
      The last Hog I shot with an XTP went down like he had been struck by lightning!

Comment

i was leaning toward the xtp but thinking about the 300 gr

Comment

I use the Nosler 240 JSP. It can stand up to the rifle velocities and will punch a hole all the way through even on large hogs. The only time I failed to get a pass through was when I was standing directly over one that was napping.

Comment

The Barnes 225gr copper HP is pretty nifty but any of them work for the purpose.

You might like the velocity you get with 180gr or 200gr

Comment

thanks for the input guys!

Comment

XTP mags. 240 gr work great for us on hogs. Winchester 94 levergun. They also shoot well from the blackhawk pistol.

Comment

310 grain Lee flat point gas check. I don’t remember the charge, but it was a full dose of 296/h110. Killed several deer and hogs with it, and it seems like that bullet doesn’t slow down when it hits a critter.

Comment

I have a Marlin 44mag, got it a month ago from Academy. I tried several styles of bullets and found out the most accurate one is a 200 gr XTP. I won’t list my powder charge but a max load of WW296 and mag primers is showing 1712fps out of the little gun. 300gr bullets made for flyers for some reason and 240gr bullets were okay, but the 200gr is very accurate. I put a scope on it for load testing and at 100 yards a 5 shot group was 4 inches. No other bullet would do that.

I would think a 200 gr bullet at 1700fps would be deadly on hogs or deer sized game within a 100yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      I have a Marlin 44mag, got it a month ago from Academy. I tried several styles of bullets and found out the most accurate one is a 200 gr XTP. I won’t list my powder charge but a max load of WW296 and mag primers is showing 1712fps out of the little gun. 300gr bullets made for flyers for some reason and 240gr bullets were okay, but the 200gr is very accurate. I put a scope on it for load testing and at 100 yards a 5 shot group was 4 inches. No other bullet would do that.

I would think a 200 gr bullet at 1700fps would be deadly on hogs or deer sized game within a 100yards.
                      i shoot a deer a number of years ago with the 200 gr xtp and a max load of 296,,, you could see all the way through that hole from a 7.5" redhawk.....

probably the rifling twist caused the fliers with the 300 gr,,, i may find the same thing with mine,, but it is an older version with microgroove i will just have to see

Comment

I’ve used XTPs out of a .480 Ruger on several hogs and deer, and although I’ve not shot anything yet with my current .44 mags I developed a load using 225 Hornady FTX that shoots really good out of both my lever action carbine and revolver. I feel confident with this load at reasonable distances.

Comment

I have used 280 grain swift A frame bullets loaded to 1050 fps to finish off a 100 critters behind my blood tracking dog
                          Killed every thing I shot with it up to and including Red deer

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            I have used 280 grain swift A frame bullets loaded to 1050 fps to finish off a 100 critters behind my blood tracking dog
                            Killed every thing I shot with it up to and including Red deer
                            my pockets can't handle the swift bullets since i retired,,, always wanted to try them but not real likely that will happen,, some things i need to stay on a semblance of a budget with.......

Comment

If you don't cast your own look up beartooth bullets, they will work well. The 44 really shines with wfn leads

Comment

Working...
                              X