Anyone making .357 MAX-AR barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone making .357 MAX-AR barrels?

Saw that someone had started making .357 MAX-AR barrels.

357 Max rounds made from .223 brass, so it's basically a rimless .357 Max, using an AR to shoot.

Many of you know I'm a huge .357 Max fan, so I'd like to get my hands on a barrel and build one up.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding anyone that's still building them.

All the best,
    Glenn

Never heard of one, it would have to use a single stack mag, being a rimmed case. I don't remember hearing of any AR barrels that use a rimmed case. It could be done.

Comment

I may have heard about that a while back. Another option might be the old 351 round. Either one would be a custom barrel.

Comment

Huge ?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          Never heard of one, it would have to use a single stack mag, being a rimmed case. I don't remember hearing of any AR barrels that use a rimmed case. It could be done.
          It uses .223 brass, necked up to .357, so there is no rim. It uses mildly modified P-Mags.

I’m really looking at one now that Starline is making un-necked .223 brass, no cartridge designation or the rim, for making wildcats normally formed from .223. This way, it doesn’t need to be necked up, as it has no neck. Just a straight body for forming wildcats like this.

All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

Everything I’m seeing shows the Max to have a rim. That being said, an AR in that chambering sounds cool!!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              Everything I’m seeing shows the Max to have a rim. That being said, an AR in that chambering sounds cool!!
              The .357 Max does have a rim. I own three of them - One Encore rifle, one Contender pistol, and one Contender carbine.

This is not an actual .357 Max. It is a wildcat round I'm looking into (357AR (Max-Rimless)). It supposedly uses .223 brass, necked up to .357 diameter.

Here's a good bit of info on it:

I do think it would be pretty neat to have one in an AR!

All the best,
              Glenn
              Last edited by cajuntec; 01-14-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Sounds kinda like a PI$$ED off 30 carbine

maybe a 357ar?

Comment

Kind'a like a 300Blk on steroids. Cool idea

Comment

If you don't want to diy it seems like you might have better luck with a .358 mgp

Did anyone read the op?

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                      If you don't want to diy it seems like you might have better luck with a .358 mgp

Did anyone read the op?
                      Thank you. That might be an option, but that requires a 6.8 bolt and magazines, along with custom dies. I'm already not too fond of paying $35 for one 10 round PRI magazine for my 6.8 SPC. But then having to modify a $35 mag to make it work with the .358 MGP... I'm very hesitant. Especially since I like having many mags for each weapon I own.

The nice thing about the .357AR is that I can buy the straight body .223 cases from Starline (that will not require me to "neck up", as there is no neck - its just a straight case based on the .223 body), and load them with my .357 Max dies that I already have. I can use a standard .223 bolt and .223 P-Mags, which I already have a ton of. My biggest cost would be to find the barrel... and that's where I'm stuck.

Don't know if I'll ever do this or not. It just sounded like a neat AR cartridge.

All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

Yeah. Might be better off calling Manson for a reamer and going down that road. Seems like your gonna be invested in it a few hundred bucks + a barrel (finished our blank) either way

Comment

Manson can likely fix you up with a reamer like TexMax said.

What are ballistics like on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            What are ballistics like on this?
                            A few of the loads he posted when he was working on it:

All the best,
                            Glenn
                            Attached Files

Comment

I found someone to make me a barrel. Figures - Mike Bellm! I should have contacted him first. If it is .357 Max related, Mike Bellm probably knows all about it.
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X