Best muzzle loader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best muzzle loader?

I'm considering getting a muzzleloader. Want a modern one similar to the TC's, vortek striker fire, etc. never shot one so want one that's easy to clean, shoot, load, etc. Also want to mount a scope and shoot 100-150 yards.

Anyone have a recommendation?

I see that a lot of people like the cva's. I don't have any personal experience with them though.

Comment

CVA optima imo is the best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My experience has been with Austen&Halleck ( no longer made, but very accurate ), TC Encore and cheap CVAs. The Encore that I own is easily a 150 yard gun as are the CVAs that I've been around. The Encore is easier to clean IMO because of the break down feature. The new ones have the easily removable breech plug also.

If you want inexpensive, CVAs are fine. If you want to spend a little more, plus have the option of other barrels, the Encore is the way to go. There are many others out there, but I have no experience with them.

So curiosity got the best of me, and I went to CVA's website. Seems like all their rifles are break open also. I wouldn't be scared to buy one of them if I were in the market. The ones I had experience with were bolt actions, but they were accurate !
        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 11-01-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE my CVA optima! You can't beat em! I wouldn't trade it for 2 TC's.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Fordtough68; 11-01-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I like my t/c encore

Comment

TC are the most expensive, not sure if they're the best.

I really like my CVA. My friend has a traditions and like it pretty well also.

Comment

Get a TC encore. That way you can use the receiever for other barrels. I made one a 300 blackout.

Comment

Originally posted by Delirious View Post
                  Get a TC encore. That way you can use the receiever for other barrels. I made one a 300 blackout.
                  This is my ONLY regret! Huge factor IMHO

Comment

Got a CVA Wolf with a scope. Cost me $40. Get 1.5" groups at 100 yards using Rem 209 primers behind weighed 75 grains Black Horn 209 and 350 grain Hornady FPBs.

Comment

Not sure about others, but once sighted in I can change to several different loads and weights (within reason) and never have to sight it in again. I think I am just lucky in this regard though. And I never use "magnum" loads, so this may play a role. I'm always good to go out to 20 yards, but I probably wouldn't shoot an animal past 100-150 though.

Comment

The CVA Optima is a great rifle, particularly for the money. But, if you don't mind spending the extra money, the TC Encore is a better gun.

Comment

I have a CVA Accura topped with a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. Shoots lights out accurate at 100 yards.

Comment

What powder, bullets and primers are you guys using?

Comment

If long range accuracy is important, I would shy from any break action. As with any rifle, a rigid action is a must and a break action is not the most rigid out there. You can upgrade hinge pins and improve them. Just like center fire rifles, accuracy is in the details. With modifications and good load development you can stretch them to 250-300 yds. My TC Omega using the right sabot, bullet, powder charge, and a .25 acp primer is deadly at 300 yds, but you will need a scope with multiple aiming points.

Comment

Working...
                              X