TPWD Private Land Hunt Schreiner Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Private Land Hunt Schreiner Park

My dad and I were recently drawn for the Kerrville Schreiner Park hunt December 16-18 bow and cross bow hunt. I've read some mixed things about some people having great success, and others saying different. Has anyone hunted here recently? If so any tips for success? Also they said no baiting, but do they allow it?

Thanks!

Never hunted the place but deer and turkey are all over the park especially in the back where the river flows through. It should be a no brainer honestly. The no baiting part is probably accurate because several parks and wildlife hunts don't allow that. Good luck to you.

Comment

Would a dropped peanut butter sandwich be considered baiting?

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
        Would a dropped peanut butter sandwich be considered baiting?
        What if you leaned up against a tree about 20 yards from your blind and accidentally smeared peanut butter from your sandwich on said tree?

Comment

TP&W had it listed as no baiting last year. But come to find out at orientation, it is allowed. It has been allowed since this hunt first started 7 years ago. And was listed as such up till last year. That's how long I've been putting in for it. Get a bale of alfalfa from a local feed store. They have info on where to get it if needed. Better than corn. Someone had put a bale out on the hunt before mine. And the critters ate more of it than the 100lbs of corn I put out. They did eat the corn. But the exotics preferred alfalfa as well as the mature bucks.
          Rules at orientation seemed to change as we went along, because I was passing on yearlings and fawns. And nobody was shooting anything. Only one deer total was taken on my hunt by my partner. It was a mature WT doe. By the time the hunt was about over, they were wanting me to shoot anything except branched WT bucks just to get the numbers up. I had passed on a lot of young spikes, fawns, and young does on the first couple of hunts. Had a chance at a axis doe late Saturday morning. But she was pretty young. And didn't meet the orientation guidelines of "mature" and "over 75lbs set by the hunt coordinator. I was later let known that I should have shot her anyway. But she didn't meet what they originally told me. Oh well. Almost had a good solid mature 18-20" blackbuck the first evening. But he wouldn't turn "full broadside for a clean shot" as specified by the hunt coordinator. And an axis buck walk up behind me and scare the crud out of me right at dark Sat evening . They are super loud up close . He was less than 10 yards. But I couldn't get a shot due to the brush I was in. Saw lots of good mature whitetail Bucks. But they were off limits . I didn't see a single mature WT doe the whole hunt. The group before us did not kill anything either. But there was a youth hunt before that. And they killed 6 total for 6 kids. Not sure about the groups after us.
          All hunts are from the ground. Play on the down side of the wind. Or you will loose every time. The critters already know whats up. Best to drag up a good brush blind. They said we could cut all the cedar we wanted. But not anything else.

Edit: Oh yah, Good Luck to you and your Dad.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-26-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. We'll have alfalfa and corn in the hopes it's allowed and maybe peanut sandwiches for lunch

Comment

I was on the first hunt last year. Everything Texas Grown said is accurate. They draw for blinds so it is random where you get to set up, but it seems like animals are moving all throughout the park. I shot a doe first sit, but after that they were super spooky and only young ones would come in. Decent herd of blackbuck running through the park, but I didn't see any while on stand. We did right by orientation. I didn't see any axis, but I know they are in the area. Bring some loppers and brush your blind in REALLY well, because those deer know when they are being hunted. My buddy didn't brush in well enough and they picked him out.

You will have to pass a 20 yard bow accuracy test, so practice up and be ready for that.

Comment

And good luck!!! It is a fun hunt.

Comment

I've hunted there the last 2 years and you could bait.

They bait the hunt areas before you get there to get the deer used to it. I brought corn and put out for each hunt. Always had bucks come and few does.

Contact the number listed on the site. They will probably put you in contact with Josh. He is a good guy. He will tell you on the phone everything you want to know.
                  If you can bait, I would bring alfalfa as mentioned above.

Good luck

Comment

Futureagg, i'm drawn for the same weekend with my grandson and nephew. check your dates, mine is 15-17. just want you to be there on time. i'll look for you at orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                      Futureagg, i'm drawn for the same weekend with my grandson and nephew. check your dates, mine is 15-17. just want you to be there on time. i'll look for you at orientation.
                      This thread is a year old. His dates were 2016.

Comment

ha, shows how much i pay attention sometimes. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X