No announcement yet.

Crappie withdrawals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody fish White Rock Lake just outside Dallas? I'm up here on business and a customer told me its great crappie fishing.... any locals that can provide a report or a better spot around Dallas?

Thanks brothers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could check out the texasfishingforum site. There is a bank fisherman section that used to have some info on WRL. Just a thought. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually winterize my boat about the first of June. And don't get it out again till Sept or later. To hot on the water for me in the summer. And I've had a couple irregular skin cells removed a couple times already, off my face. One was pretty deep and wide. Don't foreget your sunscreen. You can burn even when it's cool out. I got burned the first time this year back at the first of March. I'm gonna loose my ears one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          I usually winterize my boat about the first of June. And don't get it out again till Sept or later. To hot on the water for me in the summer. And I've had a couple irregular skin cells removed a couple times already, off my face. One was pretty deep and wide. Don't foreget your sunscreen. You can burn even when it's cool out. I got burned the first time this year back at the first of March. I'm gonna loose my ears one of these days.

Till I read the second half I thought you were crazy! Some of my favorite fishing is June to Sept!! I need to apply sunblock more often and maybe get some of those masks and gloves. I use a big patio Umbrella some in summer! It's 15 degrees cooler under that thing than it is in the sun! Had a buddy on here weld me up an H bracket to slip over the pedisdtal seat mount and slide the umbrella into.

Comment

I used to fish the summer when I was younger. Spent a lot of my time out in the sun all day riding a bicycle too. Sometimes 16 hour days in the saddle when I was in my 40s. Then I got my first Basil cell carcinoma a few years ago, maybe 2009?. All that time out in the sun before my 50th B-day started catching up with me. I remember my grandfather having it removed off his head, forearms, and hands. My dad has had it removed a few times now, and facial reconstruction twice. He grew up on Lake Worth. My Grandfather had the place till he passed in '99. My Pops sold it in 2008. My great grandfather bought it back in 1932. Being in the sun back then was just part of life, till we got older. I lost a co worker 4 years ago to the black cells. He was 47. It showed up on his back. By then, it was to late.

So, with that being said, were some sunscreen!
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-18-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Mike that's catfishin time!
              I wear sunscreen like butter on a grilled cheese and a biggg hat

Comment

I do to most of the time JMAR, hat and soaking in sunscreen. If I catfish during the summer, it's usually at night. But I'd rather get them in April and May if I can.
                Went cat-n around this past Thursday-Saturday. Blues and Channels were biting good, if you like smaller fish. People next to me had a bunch of 2-3lbs every time they ran lines. But they were using small baits and hooks. They had enough for a fish fry Saturday night and were expecting 20 or so people. I got most of my cut perch, live perch 1.5"-2.5", and shad stolen most of the time. Nothing of size worth keeping in my book. I pulled my jugs and left after lunch Saturday afternoon.

Edit: Sitting on a hill under a big live oak with a light south breeze overlooking my jugs for half mile is nice.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Where the red arrow starts is where they cut me from in a diamond shape pattern. Then pull the skin together. Unfortunately, they did not give me any prescriptions before I left. And it swelled up over the stitches, as you can see. Stitches are under the skin in the pic. I finally got antibiotics 4 days after. But it was almost to late by then. It hurt worse to get those stitches cut out than the surgery did because it was so tender. It was a guessing game as to where they were. So they just started hacking away. Try getting stitches cut out with out any locals.

This was the first one I had removed. I had some removed off my left temple the following year.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018 (Small).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	24493355

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    Look out Cedar Creek slabs!! On the hunt with Chris Webb this morning on a trip Langdon won in a CAT raffle!!

Chris is top notch. I'll recommend him to anyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Y'all done any fishing? Hearing they've gone back a little deeper. I think I'll try the crappie condos on Waco next week.

I have a fish finder but it's old. Can't really tell if I'm going over a brush pile or a rock. Just depth and contour.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

My crappie hole is flooded out. I am moving to the cats on the rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                          Y'all done any fishing? Hearing they've gone back a little deeper. I think I'll try the crappie condos on Waco next week.

I have a fish finder but it's old. Can't really tell if I'm going over a brush pile or a rock. Just depth and contour.

A newer graph with side imaging is well worth the investment! Hopefully have a new Solix 15 w mega imaging on the new slab sled eventually!!![emoji2]

I've seen a helix 9 with SI for $800. That would be a great SI unit to get started with and would pt for itself quickly in time saved scouting and building brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            A newer graph with side imaging is well worth the investment! Hopefully have a new Solix 15 w mega imaging on the new slab sled eventually!!![emoji2]

I've seen a helix 9 with SI for $800. That would be a great SI unit to get started with and would pt for itself quickly in time saved scouting and building brush.

Yikes! not anytime soon on my teaching salary! I have been looking at some of the new $100 ish humminbirds and used units in the same bracket!

Think I will just stick with my LCR 4000 for a while and save!

Comment

Flex, The one I have is very basic. But I can tell a little when there are fish there. I think it's a Hummer 541 (in gray scale). It was about $140. I got it basically for depth. But have it fine tuned too. Took me a bit to get used to reading it.

Hummer10 with SI and GPS for foggy mornings, and a foot controlled troller are next on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

I hit Benbrook this morning for just a little bit, fishing from the bank. I can tell you, there, they are still shallow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X