Straightening bamboo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straightening bamboo

How hot do you have to get bamboo to start straightening it? This is larger diameter stuff used for an Atlatl dart. Thanks for any input.

Matt

You have a PM!

Comment

I don't know what temperature it takes to soften up the bamboo enough to bend, but I've had to heat the shafts to the point where it left dark burn marks on the nodes. I don't know if that weakened it any, but I haven't broken one at any of the nodes yet. With that said, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to making arrows, especially bamboo arrows, and I've noticed that the ones made by the pros don't have any burn marks.

Comment

Scorching will indeed weaken the shaft. You can help avoid that by rubbing it with oil before heating. I use canola or vegetable oil.

How hot? Until you can begin straightening without using much force. How big diameter are you using for the atlatl?1/2"? I've never straightened any bamboo larger than arrow shafts but I wouldn't think that that size would be a problem. When you get it to the right temp, it is very easy to manipulate but it has its limits. I have learned to not waste my time with shafts that need corrections beyond the limits. You get an eye for it eventually.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a little over 1/2". Does it actually get soft as you heat it? Or do you just heat it up, making sure you don't burn it, then bend it and hold while it cools? I've only got one dart right now, I don't want to screw it up, but it really needs straightening.

Thanks again,
          Matt

Comment

I just went after it with a heat gun. Worked like a champ. Thanks again

Matt

Comment

I meant to say that 1/2" WON'T be a problem.

Glad it worked out for you.

I prefer to use a sterno or small propane burner. It is more hands free and quieter. A good tip if you didn't know is to either straighten it at the nodes first and then between the nodes, or vice versa. Allow it to cool between. Please share more about the atlatl when you get it rocking. Felix40 and I have tossed around the idea of trying to take a pig with one.

Comment

That's good to know. I was staying away from the nodes. I figured that was probably the weakest point. I got it pretty straight regardless, but may go back and work it some more now I know I can.

The Atlatl is taking some getting used to, but at 10-12 yards I can hit my bear target pretty consistently. Not always where I want but I'm catching foam. This is after a solid week of practicing a couple times a day. I've only got the one dart right now, but Robert Garcia(can't remember his screen name on here) is hooking me up with a few more darts and a dozen foreshafts for hunting. I'm headed back to Laredo for a week of hog hunting this April and plan on using the Atlatl until I kill a hog with it or run out of darts/foreshafts. The animals are there, I just need to get consistent out to 15 yards min. It's a lot of fun, and with my shoulder hosed up right now, it's giving me another option.

If you have any specific questions on the Atlatl, Robert is the man to talk to. I can let him now about this post or get you his contact info. I think Bob told me he was the Texas State Champion or something.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X