No announcement yet.

Fletching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive searched the threads...Ive the same question and it doesnt seem to warrant another thread to be told the same thing...and it seems consensus is...do whatever shoots good. Right wing right bevel broadhead...vice versa. I am ambidextrous and shoot an ambi recurve. Ive noticed that the wear pattern is the same on both shelves from when the arrow hits...maybe because Im overspined...I am shooting easton carbon 340 aftermaths 31.75" 9.6gpi 75gr insert with 145gr point 9/32" 4" paraboic right wing right helical fletched in an AZ EZ fletch. The field points unscrew regularly and Im going to attempt to remedy that with some spray shellac. (Ive noticed that AZ EZ fletch doesnt offer a left helical in the 9/32" diameter...<5/16".... jig for carbon arrows. I shoot right fletched 5/16" 31" 300 Bemans for lefty compound because the melt on fletches dont come lefthanded. However the Az EZ aluminum left jig will work for carbon = to >5/16". Im going to fletch some leftys and see if my groups tighten.) Ive asked archers not associated with TBH and been told left helical for lefties and right for rightys. Whereas Ive noticed that 3riversarchery and Kustom Kings both default fletch their arrows with left wing. Whuh? That would lead me to believe...with most folk being rightys that the arrow builders think there is something to rightys shooting left winged arrows.

Hee haw!
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-16-2016, 03:00 PM. Reason: 145gr340Spake

Comment

The old timers like Bear, Pearson and Hill claimed left fletch for right handed shooters. It had to do with the fletching clearing the bow with less drag.

I know several years ago right hand fletch was hard to come by because the turkey ranchers cut the right wing feathers to keep them from flying out of the pen.

As stated above, I shoot both with no noticeable difference but I also shoot double bevel heads.

JC

PS: JEFFRO has a LOT of experience with arrow making, fletching and shooting. You can trust his judgment. (Even if he was a yankee)

Comment

Since making this post I have been experimenting. I have right and left helical and have four fletched some with no helical. I have to agree that there is no difference. All are hitting the same spot when I do my part right.

Comment

I make my own arrows and prefer RW feathers if only because I'm right-handed and find it easier/quicker to handle a RW fletching jig (I have both types). Aside from that it doesn't make a bit of difference relative to accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
            The old timers like Bear, Pearson and Hill claimed left fletch for right handed shooters. It had to do with the fletching clearing the bow with less drag.
            My Dad started shooting bows in the early 60's and this ^^^^ is exactly what he taught me.

I have learned it really doesn't matter. I'm right handed and shoot both left wing and right wing with the same results. (I'm not shooting a single bevel broadhead though)

Comment

Working...
            X