New hunter advice for scent control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmack View Post
    This is me. I walk in a good long ways usually, and am soaked by the time I get there. The solution is a good cover scent. I keep a Tupperware bowl with a some Buck Candy in it. It smells so strongly of apple, it almost makes me sick. I sprinkle some around the stand, get in, and toss some more around me. Usually have deer close enough to grab.
    Where do you find Buck Candy?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
      Thank you!
      I'll try to look for this product. I bought the acorn and apple sprays (not sure what brand) it was in a small red sprayer and didn't really notice a whole lot of result in the way deer acted when they got close. If you can post a pic or a link, I'd appreciate it.
      Just remember that you said you are hunting public land. The use of baits/attractants is regulated heavily on an a lot of public land. Be sure you aren't using attractants that are not legal for where you are hunting.

Comment

You don't have to have your back to something impenetrable. Deer use the terrain and wind to their advantage and so can you. Focuse on pinch points and funnels between bedding and feeding areas. The spot you picked based on sign may not be the best option. Example, one of the properties I hunt I hunted for several years with minimal success. I went in and pick out a couple locations based on what I saw the first time I was there. After a couple seasons of watching deer and hogs without getting many shot opportunities I re-evaluated my set up. I wasn't in a good spot. Now I'm set where I know the deer travel and I have a pretty consistent southerly wind. I shoot dozens of hogs and several deer for the freezer each year. ( I don't discriminate,lol) Just because it looks good doesn't mean it's the best spot. Figure out where the deer travel and DONT hunt it with a bad wind.

Comment

I can't believe no one has mentioned using vanilla!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
            You don't have to have your back to something impenetrable. Deer use the terrain and wind to their advantage and so can you. Focuse on pinch points and funnels between bedding and feeding areas. The spot you picked based on sign may not be the best option. Example, one of the properties I hunt I hunted for several years with minimal success. I went in and pick out a couple locations based on what I saw the first time I was there. After a couple seasons of watching deer and hogs without getting many shot opportunities I re-evaluated my set up. I wasn't in a good spot. Now I'm set where I know the deer travel and I have a pretty consistent southerly wind. I shoot dozens of hogs and several deer for the freezer each year. ( I don't discriminate,lol) Just because it looks good doesn't mean it's the best spot. Figure out where the deer travel and DONT hunt it with a bad wind.
            Solid post. Many times, i have absolutely ruined a magic spot because i pushed it a little on the wind direction. Longevity of a stand location greatly depends on not getting busted. Get busted ONCE and he either quits coming there or circles down wind every time.

Comment

There are a lot of good ideas above. One of the most effective is a body soap at Academy called CONTROL FREAK in a green bottle. I sweat a lot! But that stuff will remove the stitch quick! After that, keep you cloths in a bag of braches/leaves from the area you Hunt. It may not be fancy, but it works.

Comment

if you can find fresh deer droppings rub them on your clothes. Also Burnham Brothers makes a great cedar cover scent if you have cedars in your area. I also step in a cow patty on the way to the stand if I am in a pasture with cattle. Try to use natural scents for the area.

Comment

I've known guys fanatic enough about scent control that they'd walk in to where they were hunting in their skivvies, carrying their regular clothes, so the only thing they had to change was underwear when the got there.

The most effective real world scent control that I've seen in action is a combination of rubber boots, including fishing boots, over clothes that have been thoroughly smoked. If you have one of those "latrine" teepee things, put your clothes in it, hanging from the top, set a small fire in a chimenaia (sp?) inside the teepee and let the enclosure fill with smoke for a couple of hours.

That all said, cover scent is still in about 5th place on the SwampRabbit list and that's where it belongs. We're hunting things that depend on scent and their ability to see movement, to stay alive. Our scent cover will never be better than their sense of smell.

No matter what you do, sometimes an animal will come from a direction that gives you no decent shot. If that happens, remain calm, let it wander on wherever it was going and remember there's a reason this sport isn't called gathering. And if it gets by you without getting spooked, it may come back late afternoon and give you a decent shot as it heads for its bedding ground.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    1) Wind
                    2) Wind
                    3) Wind
                    4) Scent free soap for you and clothes.
                    5) Rubber boots
                    6) Cover scent... I use smoke.

Then there are ozonics. I have never used them, but am convinced they must work. I like a challenge the majority of the time, so I haven't tried them in order to cheat the wind.
                    This X2, haven't used ozonics, but one guy on our lease does and he gets some nice deer.

No matter what you do, don't be surprised if a big boy flags you. Had one last year catch my scent before I saw him. Came from the only direction I was worried about. The old bucks know to keep their face in the wind as well.

Main thing is limit your disruption of nature. When I hunted east Texas, always took most direct route to my tree stand, with the wind in mind. Once your 20 foot up in the air, scent isn't as big of a deal. Had deer walk right by and never knew I was there.
                    Last edited by crawdaddct; 08-16-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I wash my clothes in baking soda. I buy scent free dove soap and scent free speed stick deodorant. No need for over priced stuff marketed to hunters. Haven't been winded in the 6-8 years I've been doing it and limit out in public land every year.

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
                        This will be my first season hunting and I would like some tips on how to manage scent control during warm weather for both deer and hogs. What works and what does not work in our climate? I plan on hunting SHNF and around Somerville.

I used to hunt that area in college. There were lots of hogs and deer. Not saying I killed a lot but I saw a lot.

Hunt the wind.

Shower and use scent free soap and deo. Dry off with scent free towels. Keep your towels, clothes and gear in tubs. Change when you get out there...in the parking area. That's what we did.

If you are controlling your scent very strictly I don't believe you need cover scent on top of it because you shouldn't have anything that needs covering.

That place can be nasty full of mosquitoes when it's hot I mean they ate us alive. During winter/fall hopefully they won't be that bad. Don't be afraid to hike in a ways. Get away from where the lazy people hunt. Study the satellite maps.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On the perspiration issue, DeadDownWind has no-scent field wipes now for this purpose. I take a pack to the stand and wipe down with them. Good for drying off and cooling down after walking in.

Comment

They can also be used for a quick hobo bath if you can't take a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Solid post. Many times, i have absolutely ruined a magic spot because i pushed it a little on the wind direction. Longevity of a stand location greatly depends on not getting busted. Get busted ONCE and he either quits coming there or circles down wind every time.
                              Absolutely this^^^ I worked a solid two days on a ground blind when I first started trad hunting. Got busted the 2nd day becaused i hunted a bad wind and from that point on every deer on the place approached from downwind!

Comment

This is what I do:

Shower before every single hunt.

I shower with unscented soap mixed 50/50 with Iodine. Yes, Iodine, the same stuff that surgeons wash their hands with before performing surgery. Iodine kills the bacteria on the skin that creates BO. No it does not dye my skin orange. I've mentioned this before on here and all I can say is that it works. (HEB sells it the cheapest like $7)

Scent free deodorant

Play the wind best I can. (Our place is nearly impossible to achieve this due to swirling winds)

Wash everything in scent free detergent and store is air tight containers.

I have a small ozone machine that I run in a sealed container with the clothes I plan to wear on the hunt. (probably over kill but it seems to help)

I have also added an Ozonics to my routine, I have it attached to a tripod and I run it while walking into my setups and use it while hunting.

I wear rubber boots and I spray down with scent eliminating spray.

The animals at our place are very spooky and doing the above has helped me a lot.

Is it overkill - probably.

Does every property require the same - probably not.

Does it make me more confident that I didn't screw up a hunt that I drove 5 hours to go on - yes, yes, yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X