6.5 grendel load data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 grendel load data

I ordered an upper in 6.5 grendel that should be here soon. it has a 20" barrel and 1/8 twist. planning on shooting 123gr sst or maybe 120gr.

i bought a few boxes of Hornady Black 123gr eld-m to see how it does and to get some brass.

Anyone have any load data for the grendel?

I have load data on the 120 NBT. The powder I used has been delisted so I am not sure if it is safe to share anymore.

My suggestion........Lapua or AA (made by lapua) Brass .

Comment

Grendel is SAAMI spec, so Hodgdon's will have data:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Comment

Love my G. 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra 120gr Match Kings both shoot to same POI out to 300 yards with around 27.5gr of ARComp powder. I'm not sure on the speed, but it's so dang accurate I decided to stop load development. It's prob 2450-2500, which is plenty fast. Good luck.

Comment

My Grendel likes 28gr of CFE 223 under a 123gr Amax bullet. It isn't very fast but will put 5 overlapping at 100y easily.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
            My Grendel likes 28gr of CFE 223 under a 123gr Amax bullet. It isn't very fast but will put 5 overlapping at 100y easily.
            Mine loves CFE as well. It has been delisted as a powder choice though. My bet is due to pressure spikes. My chronograph showed nasty spikes as it approached max.

I would not suggest using it anymore. I will be going to TAC once my current loads are shot up.

Comment

have a few 26.5 gr of XBR at 2360fps with 123gr a max. 30.9 of cfe 223 shot ok.
              Best group i had was 27.5 of xbr little under 1" but pressure signs where showing so work up to this and dont take my word for it.

This summer ill be working alot on a good 100gr multi purpose load for it

Comment

Over on 65 Grendel Ramshot TAC tends to be the "Go To" powder in the 120gr that I shoot. I have used.

Varget, CFE223, Benchmark, BL(C)2, all with good results it is funny how both bullet and powder mfgs change what powders it recommends over time. All of these have been official powders, and Benchmark used to be a "no-no......to fast". And now Benchmark is the only one still listed.....I was using it with good results before it was official.

Comment

I really wanted to like XBR but never could get good grouping out of it.

Comment

I have not loaded for the Grendel yet since mine isn't here yet but I have used XBR extensively in 223 and 308. I am very impressed with its accuracy potential but I find in EVERY rifle it tends to be slower than other powders.

When mine gets here Ill be trying TAC most likely if I can find it.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      Should get here on tuesday

Comment

22” 1-8 twist
                        123 amax
                        Lapua brass
                        Rem 7 1/2
                        28gr XBR
                        2504 FPS average with single digit SD

Comment

Has anyone tried H335 powder?

Comment

Lots of powders work for the Grendel that work well for the 223 and 308. I use more CFE223 than any other but there are those that use all the powders listed above. Hodgdon has said CFE223 is too slow burning for the Grendel but many use it with great success.

8208 is a very popular powder for the 123gr bullets, treat 28.5 gr as the never go above and approach only with great caution

Nosler, Alliant, Hodgdon all have Grendel loads listed on line. Hornady and Nosler have loads in their manuals

A couple Grendel specific handbooks are available at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/

Comment

Messing around in QL this morning... Powder / Max safe load / Expected MV

CFE223 30.4 2479
                              IMR8208XBR 27.3 2417
                              AR Comp 26.8 2472
                              A2520 29 2453
                              TAC 29.3 2402

I know CFE223 was delisted and folks say it spikes, but it seems to hit a sweet spot on full burn / uses up case capacity / good MV.

Disclaimer: *Do not try these at home, always reload to official specs. These are derived numbers from a computer program, not recommended or tested recipes*

Comment

Working...
                              X