Why use upgraded shotgun chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why use upgraded shotgun chokes

I'm contemplating buying some upgraded shotgun chokes for sporting clays. My basic question is: Why should I?

To my untrained eye i don't see much physical difference between my factory chokes and, say, a Briley choke of the same size. (Not demeaning Briley at all, just a name that comes to mind that i've held.) What are the tangible benefits of upgraded chokes? What do ported chokes do for you?

I've looked online and can't find answers... Probably too ignorant to know what to look for.

For me, I have found that chokes like the Patternmaster and other aftermarket chokes allow me to do two things I was not able to do with just the standard chokes.

1. Miss more expensively
    2. Talk online about what a great product it is without backing any of that up with actual skills

Comment

Have you patterned your current chokes and found them lacking? I'd only get one if I had crap patterns from my factory chokes.

Well actually, I'm cheap, so I'd still probably not get one. But if I were trying to be competitive at clays, I would.

Comment

Only real world advantage assuming both pattern well is changing without a wrench. IMO the fancy ported spiral super light chokes are a fad. Personally I think a good fixed choke patterns better than any of the screw ins. If your factory chokes pattern well then I see no reason not to use them.
        Last edited by jdg13; 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Pattern your gun with the factory chokes at the distance you will shoot. If you get the pattern you want no need to waste money on after market chokes. I used to go buy chokes as soon as I got a new gun. Last 2 guns I have used factory modified and kill birds at any distance you should be shooting at. I have had guns that did pattern better with after market chokes. You need to spend time patterning to find out.

Comment

Strictly pattern...

Comment

Pattern your shotgun first and go from there. I have some that still use factory chokes while others I use patternmaster chokes. The only real difference I think between the chokes you will see is consistency between one choke to the next. If have shot multiples of the same factory chokes with wildly different patterns while the same test with higher end chokes preform more consistently from one to the other. But as stated before pattern your gun with the factory choke first. If you are getting good consistent patterns with a factory choke there is not much of a reason to change. Only other difference is that some chokes can offer a better shot string by stripping the wad. I have no real way of saying if this is truly better or not.

Comment

They say the longer chokes can improve patterns but I don't really buy it...lengthening the forcing cones if you don't already have them will likely do more if your pattern currently sucks.

Like stated...to me, they are clearly worth the $$$$ for the simplicity of changing constrictions without a wrench & must have if you are going to do a lot of clays!!

I see no need for ported chokes as they just make the gun louder & more hurtful if you use the same gun for birds & have a dog. They are likely marketing it for reduced recoil but the ports need be on the bbl after the wad has passed them to work more efficiently. A shotgun with a muzzle break on the chokes really doesn't work as well as it does on a centerfire IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will be shooting some paper to see what happens.

Comment

Depending on the brand they will pattern better. However your average sporting clays shooter will have a hard time justifying it when chokes are 70$ + shooting 3 or 4 times a year.

I attend a sporting clays shoot twice a month and the winners never have factory chokes.

Ported will help recoil a hair but in 1oz loads it's minimal. Some will also claim porting will foul a barrel quicker. They will also be louder

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      They say the longer chokes can improve patterns but I don't really buy it...lengthening the forcing cones if you don't already have them will likely do more if your pattern currently sucks.

Like stated...to me, they are clearly worth the $$$$ for the simplicity of changing constrictions without a wrench & must have if you are going to do a lot of clays!!

I see no need for ported chokes as they just make the gun louder & more hurtful if you use the same gun for birds & have a dog. They are likely marketing it for reduced recoil but the ports need be on the bbl after the wad has passed them to work more efficiently. A shotgun with a muzzle break on the chokes really doesn't work as well as it does on a centerfire IMO.
                      +1 on the ported thing. I have a Mossberg 930 Rhythm that has about 1.5” of porting on the barrel. I typically keep them covered to comply with the rules of the 3 Gun divisions I normally shoot. When I’ve taken the high tech port block off (a couple layers of beer can, held down by a barrel clamp), the ONLY difference I can tell is an increase in noise.

Same goes for factory ported handguns.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        for me, i have found that chokes like the patternmaster and other aftermarket chokes allow me to do two things i was not able to do with just the standard chokes.

1. Miss more expensively
                        2. Talk online about what a great product it is without backing any of that up with actual skills

lmao!

Comment

I like extended chokes for the ease of changing them. I don't notice any difference in performance, but I like not needing a wrench and I like being able to read what the choke is without looking into the barrel to count notches.

Comment

I spent a bunch of money to have one made for turkey hunting for a Browning 10 gauge. It is ported and fancy looking-should be able to kill one at 100 yards-LOL..It is awful-the factory choke shoots way better.

Comment

What shotgun are you considering to add the aftermarket chokes too?

Comment

Working...
                              X