Jumping the String - Where do you Aim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping the String - Where do you Aim?

In hunting with my daughter I've noted the results of some of the shots she's taken - most were high and one was a backstrap hit, all due to the deer dropping when hearing the bow.

Knowing this, when I had a shot on a doe at 22 yds a couple weekends ago I aimed relatively low - between the mid-line of deer and the bottom of the chest, just behind the front leg, yet my hit was definitely higher in the body - just barely clipped the lungs mostly because of the downward angle (we shoot elevated about 14 ft.). Keep in mind, I'm drawing approx. 63 lbs. with a pretty fast setup in my Hoyt CS 34" bow.

Last weekend my daughter took a shot on a doe at 19 yds. We know her setup is slower - she's pulling about 34 lbs. so she aimed at the bottom of the chest. (she's a good archer and has proven to be pretty accurate) The deer shrunk as expected but disaster happened - the deer shrunk so much that the arrow went through her spine and paralyzed her rear legs. I dispatched her with another arrow asap but it was just horrible for the deer and my daughter was really affected. Definitely not how we thought her first kill would go.

So this leads me to ask the question to the experienced bow hunters. Where are you aiming when you take your shots?

I aim for the ol pocket rocket heart shot, if they duck you’ll catch lungs if they jump it’ll be a clean miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      I aim for the ol pocket rocket heart shot, if they duck you’ll catch lungs if they jump it’ll be a clean miss.
      Me Too

Comment

For me it depends on the age of the deer. Seems that older animals have a higher tendency to jump the string (better developed sense of sight, hearing, etc helps their awareness). I always (within reason) take the slightly quartering away shot, and settle my pin on the heart. If they hold still, you're right on the money. If they jump the string a touch, you've still got lungs in play. Just my 2¢

Comment

At the deer with another one standing behind him..... that way..if first one ducks..second one gets it...

Comment

I aim 1/3 of the way up from the bottom line if hunting ground level and close. From elevated stands I go a touch higher because I want the exit to still be in the chest. I think the biggest thing for new or beginning archers is trying to shoot at animals that aren't aware of your presence. They are much more likely to react/jump the string if looking at you and in an alert posture when bow goes off. I think this problem is compounded for young hunters and new hunters because they may struggle to draw when seated and tend to use arrow rests like biscuits that make a little noise on the draw. Add in the fact we try to get them close shots and it's worse. I don't ever put my pin where it won't be a kill shot if I hit that spot. Lots of times they don't react at all. Think about all the traditional archers that kill deer. Their arrows are probably even slower. But, the really good trad guys can draw slow and very quiet. Their bows are very quiet too. Try to work on shooting relaxed deer or preoccupied deer. Have her practice holding at full draw while shooting targets. That way if she gets to full draw she can hold a few seconds and let deer calm down before the shot. Do everything you can to quiet her bow. Tighten everything and even consider a heavier arrow to where it's a dull thump when the bow goes off. That's my 2 cents.

Comment

I aim for the heart as well but my set-up is relatively fast as well. For a slower speed bow, you may need to look at lighter, faster arrows and silencing methods. Cat whiskers, a good stabilizer and some silencing stick-ons to minimize noise. Don't shoot at an alert deer either. Ears relaxed is the only shot I take. Seems to work well.

Comment

One thing I've noticed is if you make a noise to stop them, they are much more likely to jump the string. If you can wait for them to give you a shot without having to stop them, they won't jump the string as much. Just my two cents.

Comment

My trad bows only shoot about 180fps so I aim really low. I like to just barely catch foam on the 3d target in my backyard. Last year I missed a doe that didn't drop at all and the arrow just clipped off a tuft of hair..

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                    i aim 1/3 of the way up from the bottom line if hunting ground level and close. From elevated stands i go a touch higher because i want the exit to still be in the chest. I think the biggest thing for new or beginning archers is trying to shoot at animals that aren't aware of your presence. They are much more likely to react/jump the string if looking at you and in an alert posture when bow goes off. I think this problem is compounded for young hunters and new hunters because they may struggle to draw when seated and tend to use arrow rests like biscuits that make a little noise on the draw. Add in the fact we try to get them close shots and it's worse. I don't ever put my pin where it won't be a kill shot if i hit that spot. Lots of times they don't react at all. Think about all the traditional archers that kill deer. Their arrows are probably even slower. But, the really good trad guys can draw slow and very quiet. Their bows are very quiet too. Try to work on shooting relaxed deer or preoccupied deer. Have her practice holding at full draw while shooting targets. That way if she gets to full draw she can hold a few seconds and let deer calm down before the shot. Do everything you can to quiet her bow. Tighten everything and even consider a heavier arrow to where it's a dull thump when the bow goes off. That's my 2 cents.
                    this^^^

Comment

Right here.....right at the little tuft of hair/crease.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lighted nock shot.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	24514824

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                        this^^^
                        Yes, I shot a doe last weekend and she was nervous as all get out and wouldn't give me a shot and even if she did, she would have jumped the string but I waited until other deer came in and she immediately relaxed and gave me a perfect 20 yard shot and didn't jump until that arrow was through her.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Right here.....right at the little tuft of hair/crease.

[ATTACH]877944[/ATTACH]

Me too

Comment

Had a nervous doe at 31 yards. I figured she was going to duck so I aimed right at the very bottom edge of her chest. I think my arrows are traveling about 262 fps. She ducked and I hit her right in the spine. Quickest bow kill I've experienced.

Comment

When I was 16 years old I was hunting on the ground and using a recurve bow. I was still hunting and had a small 8 point come by at 15 yards. I only had four arrows and I must of had buck fever bad because I shot all 4 arrows and he ducked every one. All I could think of was aim behind the shoulder. If I had only aimed really low I would have killed that buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X