What's digging in my yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's digging in my yard?

Just trying to figure it out. I set up a trail cam tonight, we'll see in the morning.

Something is digging in our front yard every night. It digs under shrubs. Any shrubs, or even small trees. Roses, Ligustrums, you name it. The hole sometimes goes completely under the plant, under the roots, sometimes almost coming out the other side. The hole is 4" to 5" in diameter. We have a lot of coons around here, but they're too big to get down into these holes. We've seen some cottontails in the yard, would they do this? There are also possums, skunks, armadillos and foxes. Dillos can't get through the fence, and I doubt if foxes would dig this aggressively - whatever it is, it can dig under 5 or 6 shrubs in one night.

Thoughts?

Gopher?

Comment

Armadillos?

Comment

Armadillos, you would be surprised how they can get in.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          Gopher?
          A gopher wouldn't dig a hole 5" in diameter. An armadillo? Would a dillo dig a hole completely under a shrub like that?

Comment

Armadillos, would be my bet. Put a trail camera out and show us a picture of the critter

Comment

We had a 2' tall x 1' thick rock fence around a yard and still caught armadillos inside it. I would not rule out skunks. Post a pic of the holes.

Comment

Cottentails did that to my yard. Would have never believed they would do that much damage until I set up the game caam.

Comment

Originally posted by dac6933 View Post
                  Cottentails did that to my yard. Would have never believed they would do that much damage until I set up the game caam.
                  Why on earth would a cottontail dig a tunnel completely under a shrub? Multiple tunnels in one night, some almost 2 feet long. I packed one full of dirt, the next morning it was completely empty again. I mean, they're not building nests, and rabbits don't eat worms or grubs.

That being said, I have gone out in the morning and seen a couple of them in the yard. They're pretty small, though, about like a kitten.

The trailcam's set.
                  Last edited by Ruark; 09-04-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                    Why on earth would a cottontail dig a tunnel completely under a shrub? Multiple tunnels in one night, some almost 2 feet long. I packed one full of dirt, the next morning it was completely empty again. I mean, they're not building nests, and rabbits don't eat worms or grubs.

That being said, I have gone out in the morning and seen a couple of them in the yard. They're pretty small, though, about like a kitten.

The trailcam's set.
                    Might be something different, but mine was one rabbit rooting an 6 to 8 foot circle every night. I was shocked to see how much damage it caused. I never dreamed a cottentail could do that to a yard.

Comment

Dilly dilly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They pay $2.50 down in Halletsville

Comment

Cottondilla, half cotton tail and half armadillo. They have a head on both ends and can dig both directions at the same time. Like ghosts, they do not show up on game cameras, especially Moultrie cameras.
                          Good luck catching the thing.

Comment

I'm going with armadillo

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Cottondilla, half cotton tail and half armadillo. They have a head on both ends and can dig both directions at the same time. Like ghosts, they do not show up on game cameras, especially Moultrie cameras.
                              Good luck catching the thing.
                              Might even be a Wolfadillo.

Comment

Working...
                              X