No announcement yet.

Culls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Peyton. All 8's should be exterminated. This was a 'clean ' 8 at 6 yrs old and I just let him slip thru the 'cull' cracks! Dang.
    Attached Files

Comment

I’ve always said more trophy bucks have been killed 3.5 as 8 points than all other “culls” combined

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I agree with Peyton. All 8's should be exterminated. This was a 'clean ' 8 at 6 yrs old and I just let him slip thru the 'cull' cracks! Dang.
        And I’m sure it was a 115” 8 at 6....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
          I'm looking one right now, that is big bodied, 14 inches wide, 1 inch brow tines, and 4 tines. Probably 3.5. Thinking he is cull. I had another probably low 130's with him and he was smaller

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
          Just out of curiosity, for a cull like you've mentioned what's generally the going rate for a hunt for a deer of that calibre?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            I’ve always said more trophy bucks have been killed 3.5 as 8 points than all other “culls” combined
            Amen...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              In an original AR county we had a 3 year old 10 turn into a dang nice 8 at 4 due to the drought. The next year at 5 he was a 157” 10pt, he didn’t live till 6. I would definitely not shoot a 3 year old 8 and 4 is questionable.

I hunt as a guest on a high fence Ranch and in my opinion they shoot way to many 8’s too early. They also cull spikes. A high end deer on the place is 160”, granted it’s all West Texas original genetics, but I feel that after 10 years of management under a fence you should be hitting 170 fairly consistently. As a guest you do as you are told though. I don’t shoot the 8’s, but i will shoot a spike although I don’t agree with that either.

I think people tend to forget to take the browse availability and dry years into account. That is something that can dramatically change a bucks’s rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I only cull when I need to remove mouths from the feed trough. I only cull 2.5 yo and up, it could be a spike or odd tined deer. I know I can't manage athe herd on my lowfenced place so I try to give my deer with more potential a better chance at the protein

Comment

Culls

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  And I’m sure it was a 115” 8 at 6....lol

Yeah but how many people shoot 115 in 8’s at 3.5 on properties and ***** about not killing big deer?

Comment

Ok I think original post wasn't worded to good. We have big deer and my question should have read. When do you cull a 8 point that has bad characteristics and does nor have any potential? Here are a few pics from the last couple of years. I think they speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      Yeah but how many people shoot 115 in 8’s at 3.5 on properties and ***** about not killing big deer?

Winner

Comment

Culls

Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                        Ok I think original post wasn't worded to good. We have big deer and my question should have read. When do you cull a 8 point that has bad characteristics and does nor have any potential? Here are a few pics from the last couple of years. I think they speak for themselves.

If you have a healthy buck to doe ratio and need to take bucks then I would shoot the lower quality bucks starting at 4.5. For the record I’ll pass on a big 6 and kill a small 8 everyday of the week. I like big frame deer and had a buddy shoot an 8 over a 6 that was the same age but the 6 was way more impressive.

Last edited by Black Ice; 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Doctor Deer says 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            How did you determine that?

Comment

I agree you got to let them roll I just can’t understand why a lot of these guys shoot the 1.5 yr old spikes an call them culls Smh

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

That's true. Lots of the top end deer are killed at 3.5 and 4.5 and not just 8s. Usually its the opposite where the 10s+ are killed and the 8s are left.

Comment

Working...
                                X