Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #51
R Dubya
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque, Tom Green & Anywhere I can

It would be a long shot, but ask him to leave your low fence and help you put the high fence on the other side of your property...never hurts to ask him to be neighborly
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #52
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

I think you did perfect. The high fence is a want, not a need. He needs to fit the bill for something other than the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #53
kyleseipp
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano, KS, IA, MO

There was a webinar a couple of months ago about it - here is the PDF of the Guide that they walked everyone through.

http://texasfarmbureau.org/wp-conten...adbury-min.pdf
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #54
double bogey
Eight Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I would offer to save him some money and let him just high fence the one side of your property that he doesn't border. And you can low fence yours inside of that. See how he likes that.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #55
Ehreni
Spike

The neighborly thing to do is not ask your neighbor to pay for a fence they dont want. Jeck no!
Ehreni is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #56
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Pretty simple. If you don't want the high fence there, don't pay for it. He want's it, let him pay for it. Done....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #57
JeffK
Eight Point

If u ever plan to finish high fencing yours, pay half otherwise I doubt he will let you tie into his fence to close everything in. If not, paying half the cost of low fence seems fair.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #58
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen, Webb & Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
I would offer to contribute half the cost of a low fence.
This is the fair thing to do.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #59
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

I feel for you 3R. Thats going to be annoying getting 3/4 boxed in...."no thanks." I hope youre open to the north and get some trailing monster bucks this fall.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #60
Wits_End
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanah11 View Post
Legal consequences??
Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.
Texas is an Open Range state requiring you to fence out roaming cattle, true. But many counties have passed local Closed Range laws requiring livestock owners to fence in their livestock. From what ive found the open range counties are west Texas. Damages to your land from either are responsibility of livestock owner.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #61
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Haven't read all the responses but we border a Hf on one side . Most come off property line and have a right away they own between them. We still have our bw fence , a lane he owns and then his hf. If I wanted to hf mine in future - without his permission to tie my corners into his with hf gates - he could say no and I would have to fence if all my side

If directly on line - i would offer to pay 1/2 what normal 5 strand fence you had would be ....and keep on good terms If his fence is off the line - I would want to know if he would let you tie to it in future if had to? If felt he would then still may make same iffef
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #62
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

If it's going up regardless and if you've ever considered high fencing your 175 acres then I would do it. If my neighbor was doing it right now I definitely would. Especially if it was on one of the long sides of our property.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by DRT; 08-11-2017 at 08:58 AM..
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #63
Quanah11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Langtry, Mason, Llano, Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR View Post
Hey bud not gonna argue with you. You can quote all the "laws" that you think you know. Trust me I've been there done that got the tshirt as they say.
I'm not arguing man, we just cut a $60K check for a fence because of neighbors cows. We did everything we could and finally it came down to fence out so we have to build the fence and the other side doesn't have to lift a finger. Their bulls tore a bunch of stuff up to get to my heifers and we called the "law" and they said if you don't want his bull then you have to fence them out.
Quanah11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #64
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanah11 View Post
Legal consequences??
Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.
It is not that simple. While Texas as a whole is a fence out state. There are not many countries who still go by that. Also, the owner of livestock has a legal obligation to keep his animals from right away of roads and highways.

Also actually, in all of Texas, if I build a fence to adequately keep out livestock in an open range county and your bull damages anything on my property, you are responsible.

Looks like you hunt in Mason so you might know if they are fence in or out.

OP one other thing to think about. If he sets back the fence(like he should) then I would not pay a dime. You will still need to redo your low fence and maintain it.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #65
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

He's cutting off deer movement to and from your place and he wants you to help pay for it? Tell that mother****er to get bent.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #66
wal1809
Eight Point

How about this. Tell him Your all in for half the high fence "BUT" Tell him you want the fence at the front of your property because you are fenced in on two sides. It he fenced the rear that will just about kill your opportunity for deer hunting. So if you two agreed you would have 175 acres of 11175 acres high fenced. Come to terms on what deer management yall can come to and follow your's and his rules.

If he won't agree to that then say you have zero interest in paying half of a fence that will fence out wildlife from reaching my property. Then maybe politely say, go pound sand.

I have a bud with a big low fence place down on the border. He spent months looking for the right place and when he found it he jumped on it. His neighbors add up to MASSIVE acres of low fence. They came to greet him one day and they were reluctant to start the conversation about game management. They were relieved to find out my bud is very very strict on what is and is not taken off of his ranches. They were all willing to ban together to fence him off if he was not like minded. They all live happily among themselves and they grow monsters on low fence.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #67
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Haven't read all the responses but we border a Hf on one side . Most come off property line and have a right away they own between them. We still have our bw fence , a lane he owns and then his hf. If I wanted to hf mine in future - without his permission to tie my corners into his with hf gates - he could say no and I would have to fence if all my side

If directly on line - i would offer to pay 1/2 what normal 5 strand fence you had would be ....and keep on good terms If his fence is off the line - I would want to know if he would let you tie to it in future if had to? If felt he would then still may make same iffef
This is what I would do.

Our neighbor at our place in Colorado County put up a high fence on our south fence line. They didn't ask for any money, but I would have paid for half of barbed wire fence if they asked. I don't plan on high fencing our place, but I'm not going to tell my neighbors what they can do on their property. I'm a big fan of landowner rights.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #68
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Hells no
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #69
txhunter007
Six Point

As others have stated, offering to pay for 1/2 of the cost for a low fence is fair. If you dont want a high fence then you shouldnt have to pay for one.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #70
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Sell
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #71
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Nope, nope and nope...
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #72
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
This. Ask him how a high fence is neighborly.

LWD

Don't you know that good fences make for good neighbors? LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #73
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I cant believe he had the ball s to even ask
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #74
BBRU
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Tell him to pound sand
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #75
takarge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bedias

If your being blocked out by three sides then spend the money blocking in the forth side not splitting it with him. Or tell him to that you'll pay for the front and he doesn't have to block you out. Meaning you would be contributing and he would be saving money to make it a total of 1175 high fenced in. That way you don't lose your good hunting and he saves a few bucks not having to go around you. If he throws this idea out I would say ok we'll kick rocks on your side of the fence then!
takarge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #76
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Quote:
Some of y'all crack me up with your bad boy internet responses. Let me just start by saying I've been your neighbor. It's his prerogative to high fence not yours. IMO the right thing to do is offer to pay for half of what a LOW FENCE would cost. If he refuses to take you up on that then once again, his prerogative. If you don't like that idea and offer nothing then if I'm your neighbor I back MY fence off the property line a bit and when your cows or something else that belongs to you messes it up.... you deal with the legal consequences. Been there done that.... pretty simple.

Quote:
Hey bud not gonna argue with you. You can quote all the "laws" that you think you know. Trust me I've been there done that got the tshirt as they say.
You should read the first sentence of your first post in this thread... I quoted it for you above so you can find it easily...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #77
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

A big fat NO!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #78
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
nope, tell him you'll pay half of the lower part of the fence.
x2!

Not a chance
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #79
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Quote:
This since you are going need to replace it anyway and had the 2 year plan.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #80
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sangre De Cristo Mountains, Maypearl, Tx

Sounds like your neighbor is a "rich guy" that never seems to have any money... you know the type.
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #81
BigJimmyRustler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tejas

I own a smaller piece of land as you do and I'm surrounded by a couple very large ranch operations. If I was in your boat I would offer to split the cost of a high fence with him but it would only be on the side creating a 1175 acre HF area and would offer to work with him to create a sustainable game management plan. If he was opposed to this and only wanted to cut me out I would smile and "no thank yo, sir" to his offer.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #82
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Tell him to fencee around thee other side of your property. save him money and put you on the inside
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #83
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Tell him to fence around the other side of your property. save him money and put you on the inside
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #84
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I don't think it is very neighborly trying to strongarm your neighbor. Just expecting them to pay half of a high fence you didn't even ask if they wanted is unreasonable.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #85
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

I've had a neighbor tell me to basically pound sand. They kept baiting and hunting the boundary fence. So I built my high fence 30 feet back from the property line. You wouldn't believe how the bucks stack up in that strip during the rut. It has worked out great. I have a lane to move cattle for the entire length of the property. Oilfield workers have limited access to the interior as well. Be very careful who you **** off. We get along fine now that the shoe is on the other foot.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #86
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
His obligation if that's what HE CHOOSES, not yours.
Yep
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #87
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

I would do 1/2 maybe 3/4 of a low fence if he puts it on the property line. $0 if he offsets it on his property unless you get a contract for rights on fence.

Looks like there will be a fence there one way or another, best to have some rights to it.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #88
db@100
Eight Point

Why would the high fence need to be set back? Why should he fence out part of his property?
The high fence builder is just fencing his property. If his fence was the first of the three sides to go up, it wouldn't be such a big deal.
It hasn't been said, but maybe the high fence builder is going to grow roses and doesn't want the OP's "deer" on his place.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #89
BBRU
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
He's cutting off deer movement to and from your place and he wants you to help pay for it? Tell that mother****er to get bent.
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #90
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
Why would the high fence need to be set back? Why should he fence out part of his property?
The high fence builder is just fencing his property. If his fence was the first of the three sides to go up, it wouldn't be such a big deal.
It hasn't been said, but maybe the high fence builder is going to grow roses and doesn't want the OP's "deer" on his place.
To be able to maintain both side of the fence w/o neighbors permission.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #91
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

I've paid for a lot of fencing the neighbors didn't want to put a dime into. If you aren't friends with him, tell him to get lost. I wouldn't pay him more than $1.50/ft to build the new fence if you do pay anything.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #92
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

I hunted a place between Mason and Brady that was HF on two sides. I was amazed at how many deer we would see up in the corner section up around the HF. When I first got on it I dismissed that as not likely to see many deer but boy was I wrong.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #93
mad34b
Eight Point

Hunt In: Back Yard

Quote:
This ^^^
mad34b is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #94
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
To be able to maintain both side of the fence w/o neighbors permission.
Let's say his set back is 10' all the way around his 1000 acres. Now with that 10 foot, all he could do would be able to drive a tractor in a straight line, not even be able to turn into a gate. With that 10' set back, if I figured it correctly, he is giving up about 6 acres. Is this correct?
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #95
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
I've had a neighbor tell me to basically pound sand. They kept baiting and hunting the boundary fence. So I built my high fence 30 feet back from the property line. You wouldn't believe how the bucks stack up in that strip during the rut. It has worked out great. I have a lane to move cattle for the entire length of the property. Oilfield workers have limited access to the interior as well. Be very careful who you **** off. We get along fine now that the shoe is on the other foot.
You showed him! Bet he wishes he would have paid for half your high fence now.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #96
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
Let's say his set back is 10' all the way around his 1000 acres. Now with that 10 foot, all he could do would be able to drive a tractor in a straight line, not even be able to turn into a gate. With that 10' set back, if I figured it correctly, he is giving up about 6 acres. Is this correct?
Probabaly at least 10 foot and maybe more. If you are spending 100K on fence, you need a way to maintain. They aren't giving up anything, just not using it for hunting.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #97
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Throw me in the group of telling him to go pound sand.

No offense, but assuming the 175 acres is somewhat rectangular in shape, I can't help but think fencing a 3rd side HF would negatively impact your hunting. Not to mention, it very well could affect resale value of the property. Assisting with maintaining a standard barb wire, low fence for cattle, is a bit different than a HF for game.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe the one open boundary naturally attracts deer movement and once in, the deer have problems finding a way out. So, I guess there's a chance the hunting could be better.

I'm just not a big fan of people high fencing lower acreage properties in the name of game management, when in reality, they just don't want deer to cross onto the neighbors property and get shot. I'm all for LO rights, but I also think HF's in some cases do restrict the natural movement of state owned deer.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #98
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
You showed him! Bet he wishes he would have paid for half your high fence now.
I didn't ask him to pay for my high fence. Initially he agreed to pay half then reneged.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #99
Bort
Six Point

Take the hunting factor out of it. If I had wood fence that I was perfectly happy with and my neighbor asked me to pay to build half a wall, I would say no way. Unless I was Mexico......
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #100
Pacman70
Four Point

Hunt In: Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
My thoughts exactly!
Pacman70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top