Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #51
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Bummer this happened. It seems to me if the police require identifying information, your recently paid off loan paperwork, or original title should have all of that. You should be able to take that to the police, file a report and let them do what they do.

Surely you have some sort of paperwork still in hand you could give them. Did you hand over the title before the test drive? Again, sorry this happened, and glad everyone came out ok.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #52
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

You need to also report the incident to Offerup. It probably won't get your 4 wheeler back but they will take that guy off the site. Good luck getting your 4 wheeler recovered. Sorry to see your thread got so off topic here.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #53
hwy84
Eight Point

Op hope you learned a few lessons here.
1 Cops have like a 4% recovery rate on ATV's, don't expect much.
2 Don't badmouth LEOs on this forum
3 Dont trust sketchy people period, especially in sketchy parts of town
4 Your wife was with you? Holy hell man. Its 2017. Any face to face needs 2 things, a gun and someone competent to use it. Don't put your wife at risk!
IMHO
hwy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #54
Charles
Pope & Young

Dang...tough pill to swallow.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #55
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Houston Police Department set up a program specifically because of stuff like this. You can meet people at the police station to buy and sell items.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ng-6491730.php

Last edited by WItoTX; 08-11-2017 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #56
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Offer up is notorious for these same types of thefts, some which turn violent quickly. I would never use that site for any type of transaction, unless it was on my terms where the meet takes place. 90 percent of the time when you tell these folks, cool lets meet. The police department is located at such and such address, lets meet there.

They will say "cool" and most likely never show. If they do, probably a legit transaction will take place. If they dont show, you know you were the target. Same goes for meeting people to buy stuff from. Those are the ones where they know you have cash on hand, and can turn south real quick. Tough lesson to learn, and hope you get the bike back.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #57
ranchdog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina19 View Post
Yea I hope so to we honesty should have met where we live police are way better staffed but at this point it makes no difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of your local PD says to meet at their command center to do the transaction. They will oversee the transaction. They say when you tell the potential buyer that you will meet them at the PD all the crooks drop off the radar quick. This is the Fulsher PD west of Houston.

Well sorry didn't see so many other of the same advice above before posting this. Sorry for your loss.

RD
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #58
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless View Post
Sorry for your loss. I really gets to me that when a person vents their frustrations, all the worms come out and start dumping on them. He has just lost something and is pizzed that a police officer didn't give a ratsazzz about trying to find it. OK, it wasn't a murder, shooting , rape, or whatever. The cop is still a public servant on the job. I know how the OP feels. Had my truck stolen and the cop continued to ask me if I had loaned it to someone. I'm standing there, keys in hand, with my family and a cart full of building supplies.. Frustrated, ya dang right.
yea seems to be a lot of confusion on my trying to blame the cops which isnt true its the fact of the fact that it just had happened and the guy was probably in the neighborhood still but by the time they got all my info and all the other stuff it was already 45 minutes before they even started to patrol
Medina19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #59
Medina19
Eight Point

Yea I had all my info and once they got it verified it they started the patrol and then logged it in the nation wide data base if it does come up somehwere
Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #60
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Well we just purchased a used ranger so we had no need for the ATV anymore. We still are paying on it so we decided to sell it pay off the Loan and so be it. Well my wife used the app OfferUp to sell it and we got a few responses and we had one for our exact price so a few days went by of messages back and forth we set for today at 12 at the park. Well we get there waited bout 15 minutes he walks up. Black male bout early 20s walks up on the phone . Original deal was he was gonna pay full price but grandma and mom were splitting it for a gift and they were almost there. So he walks around it I turn it on for him at this point it's still on the trailer then he asks to test drive it. I had my doubts but iv done these kind of deals before and almost always they want to test drive before they pay which is understandable. But that was my mistake was trusting him needless to say he drove it around the parking lot then bolted and took one of the streets and never saw him look back
Um.
Edit.. not gonna dump on you.

Thieves suck.

Last edited by systemnt; 08-11-2017 at 08:04 AM..
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #61
Mambajeep
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Meets a dude walking in the hood to sell him a ATV that's waiting on mama n em to bring money. Dude sees a easy target and drives away. Cops fault?
Mambajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #62
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Sorry this happened to you, horrible people out there. Ultimately, in the end, he will pay for his crimes.
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #63
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Sorry for your loss and I see your frustration. I haven't seen a single post where you blamed the cops. Don't take the thin skinned crap personally.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #64
GMGIRL
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF and up in Oklahoma

A guy I work with had this almost exact thing happen to his brother in Houston. His brother met them in a sketchy area, the guy showed up in Army fatigues so his brother having experience with military trusted the guy to test ride it, and bam... Almost exactly the same.

His brother contacted several bike clubs and organizations throughout Texas and they ended up watching different forums and Craigslist and ended up getting the four wheeler back about a month later!!! So, just an idea for you to proceed forward. Having been in LE for a LONG time, I can tell you recovery by LE itself is very low... but once you add in factors like angry bikers who detest thieves, your chances go up. Good luck man.
GMGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #65
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
Sorry for your loss and I see your frustration. I haven't seen a single post where you blamed the cops. Don't take the thin skinned crap personally.
thanks and trust me I dont
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #66
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGIRL View Post
A guy I work with had this almost exact thing happen to his brother in Houston. His brother met them in a sketchy area, the guy showed up in Army fatigues so his brother having experience with military trusted the guy to test ride it, and bam... Almost exactly the same.

His brother contacted several bike clubs and organizations throughout Texas and they ended up watching different forums and Craigslist and ended up getting the four wheeler back about a month later!!! So, just an idea for you to proceed forward. Having been in LE for a LONG time, I can tell you recovery by LE itself is very low... but once you add in factors like angry bikers who detest thieves, your chances go up. Good luck man.
Thanks yea we are looking around everything we can all social media craigslist and all of those sites
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #67
GMGIRL
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF and up in Oklahoma

It took about a month for the thieves to relist it on another bike sight, and then the bikers and LE set them up for "the buy", so don't give up. I think they ended up recovering it out by Austin or somewhere west. I really hope you find it!
GMGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #68
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGIRL View Post
It took about a month for the thieves to relist it on another bike sight, and then the bikers and LE set them up for "the buy", so don't give up. I think they ended up recovering it out by Austin or somewhere west. I really hope you find it!
Yea I was talking to a buddy here at work and he is thinking eventually someone down the line will take it to the dealer or get it towed or something and end up back in my hands but it is slim
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #69
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks yea we are looking around everything we can all social media craigslist and all of those sites
hahahaha that thing wont be for sale anywhere
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #70
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
hahahaha that thing wont be for sale anywhere
yea I doubt it probably gonna sell it for quick cash in the same hood
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #71
Hunterlo70
Six Point

Wow! What a horrible situation. I'm sorry for your loss, brother. I hate thieves so much! If I ever have to sell anything with someone I do not know, I always bring at least one of my brothers with me just in case something bad happens. My brother in law's cousin was robbed by gunpoint using that app to sell his xbox one and he's just a kid. The guy pretended to go to his car to get the cash and pulled out a gun, in broad daylight and made off with the console. Even though its a shot in the dark, I hope you get it back and I hope this POS gets caught! Can't trust anyone these days man and that's a shame.
Hunterlo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #72
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy84 View Post
Op hope you learned a few lessons here.
1 Cops have like a 4% recovery rate on ATV's, don't expect much.

I'd be willing to bet the low recovery rate is due to lack of VIN info. I've taken a few a stolen atv reports and not everyone had titles or vins. I've also recovered a few that people found for sale later.

I bet there is 6 atvs in our storage lot that an owner can't be located. It's the same for guns. Recovered 4 guns from a dope house a week ago. ONE was reported stolen out of Louisiana in 13'

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #73
Filletem
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

This whole scenario was a huge red flag from the beginning. Sorry this happened but man wake up. I guess lessen learned and I doubt it will ever happen to you again.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #74
Medina19
Eight Point

Lesson learned for sure. Cant trust anyone these days
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #75
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: pantaloons and an eye patch

There sure are a lot of *******s around here.

Sorry this happened to you, OP. I've not seen one post where you blamed the situation on anyone other than you or the thief.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #76
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
There sure are a lot of *******s around here.

Sorry this happened to you, OP. I've not seen one post where you blamed the situation on anyone other than you or the thief.
X2 pitiful to jump on the OP.

Used to feel I could share alot on the GS. I find myself not starting threads for advice on this or that because just don't want to hear the BS.
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #77
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Man that sucks, sorry that happened to you. Sorry about the dog pile as well.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #78
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Sorry for you getting stung. And it's difficult for LE to jump on every theft. Just too many every day... I do understand your frustration when you try to report and LE doesn't jump on it right away. It's yours and not theirs.

I held a guy at gun point and wife called 911. Took them 8-10 minutes for officers to arrive. Called once about an officer down and it was maybe 3 minutes before all of DPD was in front of my house. Moral to that story is you should've told'em a cop was down on your ATV.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #79
Bighorns
Spike

Just going to point out, There is more than one officer who works for HPD and they all have radios and the computers that flashes the BOLO from the dispatcher. A normal practice would be to for one Officer to verify the information and update the surrounding units of the particulars after the initial call. Sometimes they do not explain that well or seem uninterested but they do this every day and I have certainly never met one who didn't want to catch a thief.
Bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #80
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post

Used to feel I could share alot on the GS. I find myself not starting threads for advice on this or that because just don't want to hear the BS.

Yea TBH has changed alot starting to see more and more bashing but it doesnt bother me I know what I said. And yea frustration is a feeling but after its all said and done at the end of the day its just a 4 wheeler
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #81
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
Just going to point out, There is more than one officer who works for HPD and they all have radios and the computers that flashes the BOLO from the dispatcher. A normal practice would be to for one Officer to verify the information and update the surrounding units of the particulars after the initial call. Sometimes they do not explain that well or seem uninterested but they do this every day and I have certainly never met one who didn't want to catch a thief.
Well thats the thing we called the police and I really didnt wanna stay put with my family with me which then I drove to the nearest which was I believe a sunnyside Store front hpd office that had all of one cop and he really didnt get on the radio or anything while i was inside the station. he told me after he got all the info he needed to stay put he was gonna go take a quick patrol and then he came back in about an hour said he talked to a few guys who had seen him but lost him after an apartment complex
Old 08-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #82
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea TBH has changed alot starting to see more and more bashing but it doesnt bother me I know what I said. And yea frustration is a feeling but after its all said and done at the end of the day its just a 4 wheeler
I still say you should've used my moral...
Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #83
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
I still say you should've used my moral...
trust me i was ready to try anything
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #84
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
trust me i was ready to try anything
Yup

And I jest about using "officer down". Just wanna get that out before LEO bashes me...
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #85
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Yup

And I jest about using "officer down". Just wanna get that out before LEO bashes me...
yea you better make sure or else you will shutdown tbh with all the responses at your comment
Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #86
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
yea you better make sure or else you will shutdown tbh with all the responses at your comment
lmao
Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #87
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Sorry for your loss Medina. Sorry that you got dog piled as well. That was uncalled for. I think we can all learn from this bad experience although some seem to already be all-knowing. I'm just glad you didn't have to stare down the barrel of a pistol or something like that.

Guess it's time to start watching all the obvious places like Craigslist, pawn shops, etc. Thieves suck.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #88
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Sorry for your loss Medina. Sorry that you got dog piled as well. That was uncalled for. I think we can all learn from this bad experience although some seem to already be all-knowing. I'm just glad you didn't have to stare down the barrel of a pistol or something like that.

Guess it's time to start watching all the obvious places like Craigslist, pawn shops, etc. Thieves suck.
yea me too much rather him take the thing than start a fuss with my family there. thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #89
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

Good thing you didn't steriotype.....it could have ended differently
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #90
BaconIsMyFriend
Six Point

This may not be the answer, but how far away from the meeting place is the closest apartment complex? He just might reside there. Maybe have someone do surveillance from afar in an inconspicuous manner? At least if he is spotted, you might find out where he lives. Of course this would generally take lots of time and patience. Just an idea.
BaconIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #91
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconIsMyFriend View Post
This may not be the answer, but how far away from the meeting place is the closest apartment complex? He just might reside there. Maybe have someone do surveillance from afar in an inconspicuous manner? At least if he is spotted, you might find out where he lives. Of course this would generally take lots of time and patience. Just an idea.
I honestly have no clue what complex he is talking about id have to look for it on google earth but yea I wouldnt wanna do any scouting in that area
Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #92
Roy Munson
Four Point

Lot of sensitive people on here. Criticizing one member of a profession is not an indictment of the entire profession. I believe that even if you are apathetic to the situation you should at the very least give the customer/citizen the impression that you will give it your full attention. Even if he has to qualify it by explaining that the likelihood of recovery is very slim.

No one expects a police to jump out of his chair for a 4 wheeler theft. But I expect him to act like he gives a ****.

Other question, why are 4wheelers popular with people who live in very urban areas? Where do they ride them?
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #93
Pilgrim
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post

Other question, why are 4wheelers popular with people who live in very urban areas? Where do they ride them?
It's not that 4 wheelers are that popular even though they may be able to sell it for some cash. Stealing other people's @#*t is what's popular in some of these "very urban areas."

Sorry for the the OP. Hope you learned from this.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #94
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Lot of sensitive people on here. Criticizing one member of a profession is not an indictment of the entire profession. I believe that even if you are apathetic to the situation you should at the very least give the customer/citizen the impression that you will give it your full attention. Even if he has to qualify it by explaining that the likelihood of recovery is very slim.

No one expects a police to jump out of his chair for a 4 wheeler theft. But I expect him to act like he gives a ****.

They ride them on the freeway .
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #95
Roy Munson
Four Point

Seems like a good way to get stopped by the fuzz.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #96
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post

Very true tbh ain't what it used to be . Met some very nice people here . I think most of the good people on tbh don't post like they use to for this reason . Medina19 I'll keep a look out they got some big meets coming up pm me your number so if I see it I can't contact you . I reread your post and only got that you did not like they way they handled the situation and not bashing all the Leo's . Come on deer season.
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #97
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Outlaw View Post
Very true tbh ain't what it used to be . Met some very nice people here . I think most of the good people on tbh don't post like they use to for this reason . Medina19 I'll keep a look out they got some big meets coming up pm me your number so if I see it I can't contact you . I reread your post and only got that you did not like they way they handled the situation and not bashing all the Leo's . Come on deer season.
Exactly my point im pro LEO but not all LEOs do there job and take pride in it. MY only complaint like i stated from the beginning was the lack of give a S@#$ from this particular cop and ill send that pm right now
Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #98
El Forajido
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any Tree stand in Texas🐴

Medina19 I'll keep an ear out like Tony. I know some Southwest Trailriders off of Cullen towards Airport. I'll ask them to keep a look out, I know they use some atv's out their way
El Forajido is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #99
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
I never stated it was the cops fault? I clearly stated that they were worthless and took there time when the crime was still minutes fresh they needed a vin when it had specific stickers and things on it I explained to them and could spot the guy down to the rose tattoo on his left top hand so that's what I'm upset with not at the fact that it was there fault but thank you for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thread totally derailed. Pack it up buddy its over.
Texas8point is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #100
Medina19
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Forajido View Post
Medina19 I'll keep an ear out like Tony. I know some Southwest Trailriders off of Cullen towards Airport. I'll ask them to keep a look out, I know they use some atv's out their way
thank yall