Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #151
Chad C
Pope & Young

Big DT just committed. Need some big fellas for the trenches! No. 1 DT in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #152
bdchorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Anyone read the Dennis Dodd article where he asks 20 some odd coaches about cheating in an anonymous questionnaire? Interesting article
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #153
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post
Anyone read the Dennis Dodd article where he asks 20 some odd coaches about cheating in an anonymous questionnaire? Interesting article
I hadn't until your post. Interesting for sure....not surprising at all.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...or-violations/
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #154
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Herman contining to bring in top talent.

States #1 DT 4 star Keondre Coburn committed today...

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #155
coogfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery and Goliad Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
Eat em up Coogs.

Just ready for some football gentlemen.

Very interested to see -
CMA at UH
What CTH does for UT
If CKS get's it's right or is fired
Or if CKK is ever going to recruit a defense

Honestly, let's get some Texas teams back in the top 25

Go Coogs
coogfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #156
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Looks like the Aggies and the longhorns are on their way to landing top class

Expect Longhorns aroudn #4 and Aggies around #9-10 if everything holds true

Longhorns are loading up on skill positions, while Aggies load up in the trenches.

Aggies in State Rankings:
OL - #2 (Matthews), #3 (Blanton), #6 (Clement) in Texas all committed
DL - #1 DE (Wright), #3 DE (Ossai - Expected), #2 DT - Brown (Expected), #4 DT - Livingston

If we can land Ossai and Brown like we are expected to that will be a solid haul in the trenches.

This class could be top 10 with only 21 commits, and it really is only lacking CB. We failed there, but they really like this 2017 JUCO CB who has 3 to play 3. Right now we have 2 DB's and will take 3 at most in 2018
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #157
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post

Longhorns are loading up on skill positions, while Aggies load up in the trenches.

DL - #1 DE (Wright), #3 DE (Ossai - Expected), #2 DT - Brown (Expected), #4 DT - Livingston

If we can land Ossai and Brown like we are expected to that will be a solid haul in the trenches.

This class could be top 10 with only 21 commits, and it really is only lacking CB. We failed there, but they really like this 2017 JUCO CB who has 3 to play 3. Right now we have 2 DB's and will take 3 at most in 2018

I like the added "expected commits" to boost the overall look..

Texas $9.95s are saying the Ossai thing is close....and Bama-ers are saying the same about Brown.....and sounds like A&M's $9.95ers are calling them both.. Saving this to see how it plays out.

Last edited by Smart; 08-08-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #158
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post

Not too shabby. Brown seems like the kind of kid that will jump on that Bama wagon that's proven. I figure Ossai is headed to Cstat.

Texas isn't stacked in the trenches in the 2018 class thus far from the lack of trying, but landing the No.1 DT in state (Coburn) when their isn't much to select from... is big. I don't see Brown on the forty but figure Texas picks up the former Ole Miss commit (Israel Antwine). As for DE, Texas has a slight chance with Ossai, but I doubt Perkins is a real option and Tatum bouncing back to OU sucked

The big negative for Texas when it comes down to the trench men is on the OL and I can see Texas possibly losing out on Ghirmai to UCLA. With that being said, they have 1 tackle committed though not highly rated and I think they have a good shot at landing Angilau from Utah. Guard on the other hand doesn't look so promising and they've only offered 4 kids.

With 16 committed and the class probably coming in around 22-24 kids. A few that are high probability are Jamison (CB), Epps (TE), Antwine (DT) and Bush (WR). That gets them to 20 with room for a couple more.

Cook, the No.1 in state CB is down to tOSU or Texas. He would be a nice add.

Top 10 class would be nice, but I'm more interested in seeing it matter on the field...There is already a ton of talent in the Texas locker room. (Should Texas add, Ghirmai (OL), Angilau (OL), Antwine (DT), Ossai (DE), Jamison (CB), Cook (CB), Epps (TE) Bush (WR) and Waddle (WR), that would put the class at 25 kids and calculate to a top 3 class in 2017 by player evaluating services). On a side note, that would be pretty Epic coming off seven down years, three losing seasons and a new coach...

Last edited by Chad C; 08-08-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #159
bdchorn
Ten Point

The OL crop in Texas this year is no bueno but with Connor gone at years end I'm pretty surprised we haven't done more on the OL to this point.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #160
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
The OL crop in Texas this year is no bueno but with Connor gone at years end I'm pretty surprised we haven't done more on the OL to this point.
It will suck losing Connor, but I like what is being said about the OL with Connor, Vahe, Shack, McMillan and Rod standing their ground. Sounds like that weakass excuse for the right side last season has some real promise for 2017.

OL is the hardest position to evaluate. Too many (most) don't grow into the position until they get to CFB.

Texas starting line based on composite: Connor 3*, Vahe 4*, Shack 3*, McMillon 3* and E Rod 3*

Last edited by Chad C; 08-08-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #161
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I like the added "expected commits" to boost the overall look..

Texas $9.95s are saying the Ossai thing is close....and Bama-ers are saying the same about Brown.....and sounds like A&M's $9.95ers are calling them both.. Saving this to see how it plays out.
Ossai is 100% crystal balled to A&M, and Brown has visited 3 times this summer...Ag sites feel good about both at this moment. Everybody knows when seasons start it can change

Ossai
Brown
Waddle

Those are the three guys the ag's sites feel good about landing.

After that we will take the next 2 best available and call it a wrap.

Pretty Impressive group of WR in Texas this year when both classes can take 4 each and still load up.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #162
bdchorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
It will suck losing Connor, but I like what is being said about the OL with Connor, Vahe, Shack, McMillan and Rod standing their ground. Sounds like that weakass excuse for the right side last season has some real promise for 2017.

OL is the hardest position to evaluate. Too many (most) don't grow into the position until they get to CFB.

Texas starting line based on composite: Connor 3*, Vahe 4*, Shack 3*, McMillon 3* and E Rod 3*
Yep. I'm with ya. Sounds like we are starting to build at least a little depth on the inside but I'm not sure Connor's replacement is even on campus yet. Might have to hit the Juco pool............assuming there's anyone worth taking that can actually get into UT via Juco.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #163
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep. I'm with ya. Sounds like we are starting to build at least a little depth on the inside but I'm not sure Connor's replacement is even on campus yet. Might have to hit the Juco pool............assuming there's anyone worth taking that can actually get into UT via Juco.
JP (RSF) and Delance (Soph) are the 2 to keep an eye on at LT.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #164
Burntorange Bowhunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: San Saba

So.....can Texas and A&M finally both be good at the same time?

For some reason it never happens.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #165
bdchorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

No reason it cant happen if compare to the Florida schools but I'm beginning to think it never will
Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #166
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

We can only dream. Replace super bowl with National Championship

AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #167
Burntorange Bowhunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: San Saba

I want to see Texas have a run like Florida did back in the 90s. Texas, A&M and one other in the top 5. Texas and Tech were close circa 2008.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #168
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
What did he do this time?

Tried to run from the cops in Arkansas and get tackled on the concrete..

Wait, That would be their senior QB who is still on the roster!
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #169
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Why you think that about Orgeron? The guy is a local, his team loves him, and LSU has the talent and the fire lit under them to compete on a high level. Plus his recruiting was pretty good this year. The Tigers will be a final 4 team this year. Guice will win the heisman, and there are two top notch QBs waiting in the ranks to take over if Etling drops the ball. Add OC Matt Canada to the team and you better look out SEC.
Lots of folks sleeping on LSU
O was 3-21 as a HC in the SEC so I'd say he prolly knows his way around the SEC. (lol)

Canada was OC at Pitt last year and NC state the 3 before. His offenses are predicated on pounding the ball with play action much like Les Miles tried to use. Canada is considered a conservative pick for OC by O in my book.
Basically LSU hired a fan favorite that hasn't been real successful as a HC. As an interim he had two decent stops, but its hard to overlook his stint at Ole Miss. LSU should've kept Miles if they were just going to keep on the same route. O is nothing more than Les Miles 2.0 with Tony's sprinkled on him.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #170
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
I want to see Texas have a run like Florida did back in the 90s. Texas, A&M and one other in the top 5. Texas and Tech were close circa 2008.
I'd like to see Mike Leach back at Texas Tech.

He's the kind of coach that LSU should've taken a chance on. He could find ways to use their offensive talent.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #171
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
O was 3-21 as a HC in the SEC so I'd say he prolly knows his way around the SEC. (lol)

Canada was OC at Pitt last year and NC state the 3 before. His offenses are predicated on pounding the ball with play action much like Les Miles tried to use. Canada is considered a conservative pick for OC by O in my book.
Basically LSU hired a fan favorite that hasn't been real successful as a HC. As an interim he had two decent stops, but its hard to overlook his stint at Ole Miss. LSU should've kept Miles if they were just going to keep on the same route. O is nothing more than Les Miles 2.0 with Tony's sprinkled on him.
Interesting observation. I think we are all intrigued to see how it all plays out in the coming months.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #172
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Interesting observation. I think we are all intrigued to see how it all plays out in the coming months.
They'll lose to Bama and Auburn in the West. Florida should be a good matchup and also a toss up imo. BYU will be a win, but should be a fair test to start the season. I see 9-3 worst cast scenario10-2 being likely. I'd pick exactly the same if Miles were still there.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #173
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
If Miles was such a good coach, then why was he passed over for the HC jobs at Houston, Purdue, Baylor, and Ole Miss ? He's fixing to be 64 yrs old, and his agent will demand a guaranteed 5 year contract, worth $5,000,000+ per year, and a buyout clause. Nobody wants to hire a stubborn coach, who refuses to change his 1960's offensive mentality, and cannot manage the clock. FYI - LSU is paying Miles $133,000 a month, for the next 6 yrs.

From 2013 until his firing in 2016, Miles record vs. the SECW was 10-10, and vs. all SEC teams 15-11. Great man that his players truly loved, but he underachieved miserably with the amount of talent LSU signed.

Regarding Orgeron, you have zero clue about what's going on in Baton Rouge. Please provide factual evidence (with credible links) about him "runnin a circus down south now".
Miles was replaced by a man with a 3-21 SEC record....excuse me....7-23 if you count last year.

Last edited by drbonner; 08-08-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #174
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post
spite must still plague him. he tried to burn usc to the ground on his way out. the coaching fiasco at lsu spanned 3 years as handled by alleva. sold out on fisher and settled on ed o.

yeah, im a long way from sold on ed o, but i could be wrong. good luck.
He's also blocking other universities from having Camps in Louisiana. That is only hurting the lower ranked recruits keeping them from getting exposure.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #175
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

Quote:
I'd like to see Mike Leach back at Texas Tech.

He's the kind of coach that LSU should've taken a chance on. He could find ways to use their offensive talent.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pirate in BR! Heck it was last season before I learned if the LSU quarterback threw the ball up and it didn't look like a pass I threw and an LSU receiver caught it that was a legal play! I had become accustomed to 2yds and a cloud of dust!

They haven't had a legitimate passing QB IMO since Matt Flynn.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #176
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the pirate in BR! Heck it was last season before I learned if the LSU quarterback threw the ball up and it didn't look like a pass I threw and an LSU receiver caught it that was a legal play! I had become accustomed to 2yds and a cloud of dust!

They haven't had a legitimate passing QB IMO since Matt Flynn.
The pirate doesn't get much credit because his defenses have been subpar. However you have to look at where he was. Tech and Washington State. Not many top defenders are willing to go to Lubbock or Pullman? I think he'd be successful in BR.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #177
bdchorn
Ten Point

Agree. He's also best interview in sports. Leach in the SEC dogging Saban, ags, etc would be greatness
Old 08-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #178
Chad C
Pope & Young

Number 17 should go public in a couple hours.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #179
16ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Agree. He's also best interview in sports. Leach in the SEC dogging Saban, ags, etc would be greatness
Like a golf coach old me one time, "don't tell me how, tell me how many". As far as coaches go, he is a good interview I guess.. He's like the John McCain of football.

In other news, BAMA finally has 10 commits for the time being. Maybe we'll be able to field a team in the future.
16ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #180
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ncs View Post
Like a golf coach old me one time, "don't tell me how, tell me how many". As far as coaches go, he is a good interview I guess.. He's like the John McCain of football.

In other news, BAMA finally has 10 commits for the time being. Maybe we'll be able to field a team in the future.
Everyone in front of them will move down in the recruiting rankings at least one spot eventually
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #181
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyone in front of them will move down in the recruiting rankings at least one spot eventually
Won't take long but I'd wager tOSU locks up the top spot when it's over.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #182
bdchorn
Ten Point

Elijah Rodriguez injured in practice today. No word how bad. No bueno
Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #183
bdchorn
Ten Point

Quote:

Yep. But **** he's a hilarious interview. LSU fans would love him.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #184
16ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:

I did laugh about the last one. On some lists " they" said he was a 2*, visits BAMA camp and pushes people around and becomes a 3*, commits and the remaining sites are recalculating to determine if he is really a 4 or 5*. HA!

Still have to sign them and see how they respond. I'm not a baseball fan but I understand a lot of games are still won with singles and doubles.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #185
16ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep. But **** he's a hilarious interview. LSU fans would love him.

There is absolutely nothing funnier than listening to a live LSU post game show while in Tuscaloosa, O or Leach.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #186
bdchorn
Ten Point

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing funnier than listening to a live LSU post game show while in Tuscaloosa, O or Leach.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #187
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:

You are so far off base it is laughable comparing Les to O. CEO and Leslie are total opposites. Leslie kept a noose around every coaches neck. O knows better or he won't keep good coaches. O screwed the pooch at Ole Miss. But, like some have stated.... had they given him one more year with the players he recruited things may have been different. Who knows. One thing for sure.... Leslie wasted at least one maybe two national championship years by being an incompetent coach. He had the talent to win. But, his stubbornness and refusal to play to his strengths cost him. It will take Lsu another year maybe two to get where they want to be. But, I think CEO, his staff, and recruiting will get them there. With the QB situation, offensive line lack of depth, and tough schedule 9-3 would be an accomplishment.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #188
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

From the outside looking in it looks to me like Coach O really won't be doing much coaching, he's there to recruit and his coordinators will coach....

Lester liked to be the OC
Old 08-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #189
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Just glad we have football to talk about again. Texas putting a really good class together under Herman's short tenure and Sumlin has done an amazing job considering all the concerns around job security. It will be interesting to see if both classes will stick once the season starts and the win/losses materialize.
Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #190
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
I forgot how dominant both Texas & Tech were that year.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #191
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Sumlin has done an amazing job considering all the concerns around job security. It will be interesting to see if both classes will stick once the season starts and the win/losses materialize.
The Ags are putting together a much better class than I expected. I had no doubt that the Herman hype was going to take a lot of players to Texas. The big thing will be, who can hold on to what they already have?
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #192
Chad C
Pope & Young

Early signing period starts this year. Kids can sign on the dotted line come December 20th.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #193
Rush2Judge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Just glad we have football to talk about again. Texas putting a really good class together under Herman's short tenure and Sumlin has done an amazing job considering all the concerns around job security. It will be interesting to see if both classes will stick once the season starts and the win/losses materialize.
Truth. It's hard for me to put much comfort into recruiting commits this early. Another ISU or Kansas loss and it is safe to say most of these "commits" fly the coop.

As a Texas fan, I'm optimistic this year will be better than the last three. How could it not be?

For Aggies, what is it about this year's team that gives you hope they will be better than last year?
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #194
drbonner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
You are so far off base it is laughable comparing Les to O. CEO and Leslie are total opposites. Leslie kept a noose around every coaches neck. O knows better or he won't keep good coaches. O screwed the pooch at Ole Miss. But, like some have stated.... had they given him one more year with the players he recruited things may have been different. Who knows. One thing for sure.... Leslie wasted at least one maybe two national championship years by being an incompetent coach. He had the talent to win. But, his stubbornness and refusal to play to his strengths cost him. It will take Lsu another year maybe two to get where they want to be. But, I think CEO, his staff, and recruiting will get them there. With the QB situation, offensive line lack of depth, and tough schedule 9-3 would be an accomplishment.
Miles hung on to Cameron too long, it almost cost him his job e year early. I guess that's having a noose on a coach. I think they're more alike than you care to admit. O inherited a jam up Dc. Wasn't he hired before O was announced as the HC? Now defense hasn't been the issue at LSU. It's finding a way to use the talent they have offensively. Then O hires an OC that is as "big10" a hire as you could find. Did u even watch Pittsburgh last year? Conservative at best.

I stand by my pick of 9-3/10-2. And that's because lsu will have superior talent , not better coaching.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #195
bdchorn
Ten Point

Big concern I have is just keeping momentum. Schedule is front loaded again this year.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #196
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush2Judge View Post
Truth. It's hard for me to put much comfort into recruiting commits this early. Another ISU or Kansas loss and it is safe to say most of these "commits" fly the coop.

As a Texas fan, I'm optimistic this year will be better than the last three. How could it not be?

For Aggies, what is it about this year's team that gives you hope they will be better than last year?
No one really thinks they are going to be better than last year. The team overall has more depth than it did last year, but is unproven as far as top end talent and young.

Most reasonable fans say 7-5 to 8-4. Same ole Same ole.

The problem last year was when the starting QB, Garrett, Safety and CB went down for multiple games there was no depth to plug and play.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #197
16ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Early signing period starts this year. Kids can sign on the dotted line come December 20th.
Is this for current Seniors in HS or does it have anything to with Juniors?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #198
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Won't take long but I'd wager tOSU locks up the top spot when it's over.
Okay, everybody except one
Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #199
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Guys playing their senior year in football this fall.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #200
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
incoming class of seniors.

The kid Bama told to look around just committed to Texas.