Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #101
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
Its a money maker now for sure. Its really pitiful the small number of people that get a chance.
Bingo........nothing wrong with that either! In my opinion they are leaving money on the table compared to what I send to New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Probably both, along with more awareness of the whole draw hunt system too. Even now, every year there are people who are just learning about the draw opportunities.
As long as that Texas public land sheep is in your avatar there is ALWAYS a chance I can get some of your luck!!! Pure awesomeness sir!!!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #102
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

I definitely support limiting the applications to one per category, especially with Youth.
Youth seems to have a lot of no-shows and I think that's largely because guys get on and put their kid in for every hunt under the sun without even bothering to look at dates or locations or ask their freaking mom if they can go so when they get drawn they just no-show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Is there any strategy in applying for more or less hunts to increase your odds of getting picked? Last year was my first year to ever use the system so I had zero points. I applied for 9 hunts and got selected for 3 - beginner's luck??
Every year I read 3 or 4 posts just like yours, and this year we'll see 3 or 4 more. Almost seems as if the system weights heavily for new applicants to hook them in. It would be different if you got drawn once, but every post like yours is always drawn multiple hunts in different areas while guys with 10 pref points 0 out every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
Non residents are always brought up in these discussions. How many NRs actually apply and/or draw these hunts. Are they really taking up that many permits it has to be a talking point or is it just something to complain about? Where are the numbers to see what resident/NR draw rates are?

Just curious...

If you guys really want to go there, the state should also designate a certain percentage of permits as NR only, just like other states. Can't draw those now....think about it. Odds are now even lower with fewer tags. Careful what you with for.
Agreed, doubt there's a lot of people out of state trying to apply for these hunts they're not spectacular. Maybe the special ones but Gun Antlerless at Choke Canyon, etc? lol just no...

As for the guys complaining about the application fees and such, Texas does charge more for licenses for them. Now I don't have a LOT of experience out of state, but I seem to recall when I applied for Wyoming that the *application fees* are the same across the board, but the Antelope tags/license is where the non-resident gets charged more. Doesn't seem much different here, application fee is the same across the board and non-res pays more for license.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #103
CEO
Ten Point

I'm at the point now where I don't even get excited when the drawings happen because I've been disappointed so many times. I just send my money in every year with no expectation of ever being drawn.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #104
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
That's not the case, it would be if everyone could apply for the same number of hunts which ain't happening. Some people can not apply for that many hunts due to reasons that are their business due to not having the time off work to apply for that many hunts or not having $200-300+ bucks to drop on app fees that will in all likelihood be wasted anyways, etc. whatever there reason may be how is it fair if they can only apply for 3 verses a number of ppl that apply for 20+. If they went back to the way they used to do it everyone would be entering the same number of apps and it would be even for everyone. Again, I know you like the system because you have had success with it but you are the exception rather than the norm. But it is luck of the draw but everyone wants to see better drawing odds not already long odds that get ****tier and ****tier every year.

And population growth don't have much to do with it this new system caters to the people that are too lazy to go to the effort to do their homework, fill out a postcard and mail in a check. And since in general people are lazy as **** more and more people are applying.
If you only have $3 to spend on it and can only apply for 1 hunt, the other guy that applied for all of them still only gets 1 app in the drawing that you applied for. Nobody can apply more than once for any one particular hunt. The guy that applied for multiple hunts in a category may draw one of the other hunts before your hunt is drawn, and he'll lose all his points as soon as he's drawn for that other hunt.

Bottom line: It's a drawing. You're probably not gonna get drawn, but there's a chance.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #105
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
No there are not more hunts than 10 yrs ago, I have the old books to prove it, 20 yrs ago I have no clue. Not sure why your trying to defend the current system, its sucks and could be made better. Enought people scream and changes can happen, look at new mexico and their non-resident quota now, look a colorado and their true preference points system where the guys with the most points get picked first (not saying I want a true preference points system).
I'm not trying to defend the current system. I wish non-residents had to pay a lot more and/or were limited on how many hunts they could draw. I wish we could just buy a point when we want a point but don't want to draw this year. I wish that nobody knew about the drawings so I'd have a better chance to draw another sheep tag or the Grand Slam or something awesome.

I'm just laughing at the annual cry fest every time the draws are posted. It doesn't matter what changes they implement, a bunch of people would still come around and whine and cry and gripe about it how unfair it is for whatever reason.

It's a drawing, not a guaranteed hunt opportunity. If you don't like it and think it's a ripoff and all of that, don't participate.

Last edited by Shane; 07-07-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #106
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Bingo........nothing wrong with that either! In my opinion they are leaving money on the table compared to what I send to New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona every year.

As long as that Texas public land sheep is in your avatar there is ALWAYS a chance I can get some of your luck!!! Pure awesomeness sir!!!
Just wait 'til I draw the desert sheep the 2nd time. Somebody has to be the first guy to do that. Might as well be me.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #107
coonazz
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, LA, WY, CO, NM, AK, & Canada

Quote:
Just wait 'til I draw the desert sheep the 2nd time. Somebody has to be the first guy to do that. Might as well be me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
coonazz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #108
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
If you only have $3 to spend on it and can only apply for 1 hunt, the other guy that applied for all of them still only gets 1 app in the drawing that you applied for. Nobody can apply more than once for any one particular hunt. The guy that applied for multiple hunts in a category may draw one of the other hunts before your hunt is drawn, and he'll lose all his points as soon as he's drawn for that other hunt.

Bottom line: It's a drawing. You're probably not gonna get drawn, but there's a chance.
I'm not gonna keep arguing about it if I wanted to I could apply for all of them too. Bottom line is if one person applies for one hunt and then twenty other people apply for that hunt along with the others that they applied for then that persons chances are ****ed because there's twenty more apps to compete with. The whole system is ****ed. Yes it's a drawing, yes your probably not gonna get drawn, yes there's a chance. And that chance is worse with the current odds than the past odds. I don't see how people don't see that and keep defending it. Carry on.

Last edited by SolocamShooter; 07-07-2017 at 11:04 PM..
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #109
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

My kid drew javi and aoudad in his third year last cycle. I'm going on seven with nada, but it will happen.
One year in NM I drew a quality archery elk unit and Oryx! Gotta play to win.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #110
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
I'm not gonna keep arguing about it if I wanted to I could apply for all of them too. Bottom line is if one person applies for one hunt and then twenty other people apply for that hunt along with the others that they applied for then that persons chances are ****ed because there's twenty more apps to compete with. The whole system is ****ed. Yes it's a drawing, yes your probably not gonna get drawn, yes there's a chance. And that chance is worse with the current odds than the past odds. I don't see how people don't see that and keep defending it. Carry on.
I agree, the system here is poorly designed compared to other western States. I apply for the chance and it's cheap as $#!?.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #111
Jibby
Spike

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs and Drawn hunts

Man, I got lucky last year, now only accumulated points on mule deer and exotic. Hoping to get at least one dr aw with my 83 yr old dad .
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #112
Tgk0427
Spike

Hunt In: Robertson Co, Grimes Co

Put mine in, gotta keep the fingers crossed. Anyone had any luck on the E-Postcard hunts?
Tgk0427 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #113
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

No
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #114
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Williamson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgk0427 View Post
Put mine in, gotta keep the fingers crossed. Anyone had any luck on the E-Postcard hunts?
Drew granger in 2013 haven't drawn since
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #115
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Drew granger in 2013 haven't drawn since
That's prior to the new online system correct?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #116
bossbowman
Ten Point

I think that was the last year you actually had to mail in a post card
Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #117
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Never even drawn for the post card hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #118
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Put me and the wife in for 14 hunts. I agree that the system could use some changes as to out of state guys and limits to apply per category, but, it's how TPWD makes a lot of money. I've been drawn once in about 9 years of applying and that's it. But, can't win if you don't play.....
Hawkpuppy 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #119
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Keep forgetting to put in.
Will do that today

Wouldn't mind getting back down to James D WMA again
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #120
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.

I apply each year and get picked for a hunt maybe every third year. I still only apply for one hunt in each category. It's cheap and the payoff could be great. I equate it to playing a slot machine...probably wont win, but there is a chance it might pay off.

Now for my son, I enter him in multiple drawings in the same category. I want him to have as many chances as possible to get drawn for something.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #121
jlp04c
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I definitely support limiting the applications to one per category, especially with Youth.
Youth seems to have a lot of no-shows and I think that's largely because guys get on and put their kid in for every hunt under the sun without even bothering to look at dates or locations or ask their freaking mom if they can go so when they get drawn they just no-show.

Every year I read 3 or 4 posts just like yours, and this year we'll see 3 or 4 more. Almost seems as if the system weights heavily for new applicants to hook them in. It would be different if you got drawn once, but every post like yours is always drawn multiple hunts in different areas while guys with 10 pref points 0 out every year.

Agreed, doubt there's a lot of people out of state trying to apply for these hunts they're not spectacular. Maybe the special ones but Gun Antlerless at Choke Canyon, etc? lol just no...

As for the guys complaining about the application fees and such, Texas does charge more for licenses for them. Now I don't have a LOT of experience out of state, but I seem to recall when I applied for Wyoming that the *application fees* are the same across the board, but the Antelope tags/license is where the non-resident gets charged more. Doesn't seem much different here, application fee is the same across the board and non-res pays more for license.

Last year, there was a guy on a hunt that was from California, at what I'll consider a "not spectacular" location, so I bet it happens more than you would think.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #122
141edge
Spike

Hunt In: TX, OK, CO

4th yr for me to put in for draw. I enter archery deer & exotic and gun deer & exotic. I did add balconies this year just because it's close. No luck yet, just points. Fingers crossed & hoping this will be the yr, because I probably won't be making it to CO for a week this season as my wife and I just had our 1st born
141edge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #123
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Keep forgetting to put in.
Will do that today

Wouldn't mind getting back down to James D WMA again
I'm with you there, I even have the vacation to spare for a trip to put in for a standby. Problem is they limit the number of hunters so low that it really limits the standby opportunity.

Last year on the bow hunt we had about a dozen hunters show up and they pulled two cards. I think he only had one standby opening but every group seemed to contain a kiddo or two so he may have been feeling generous.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #124
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Question:

Says up to 4 can apply on the same card. Does this increase your chances of being drawn, like rack person gets their name in the hat and any one of the four gets drawn the others three get drawn too, or do they just draw cards
You get groups points, so not sure how that figures into it. Every time we have been selected, we had four people submitted.
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #125
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

The response I got from TPWD is that:
Nonresidents make up 7% of applications
Their survey showed 78% satisfaction rate with the system among hunters.
Zero chance of making the hunts longer than two days.

So i guess I can feel better that I voiced my opinion but its clear that the current system is here to stay. I guess I will continue to only apply for the free hunts and nothing else. Im sure glad there is a little bit of national forest left in Texas and that I can go out of state to hunt a couple times a year.

I figured this info would be of value to some here.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #126
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post

So i guess I can feel better that I voiced my opinion but its clear that the current system is here to stay. I guess I will continue to only apply for the free hunts and nothing else. Im sure glad there is a little bit of national forest left in Texas and that I can go out of state to hunt a couple times a year.

I guess a "C" rating is good enough for them. I'm glad to be part of the 22%.

Thanks for the post
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #127
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Lots of crying and complaining on this post about a state run hunt that is very cheap by current market standards.

News flash ItS A DRAW FOLKS!!! Not everyone gets drawn and just because you have been entering the past decade doesn't mean you will be drawn either.

Put your big boy underwear on and be thankful we have the option to enter. I've donated several years now and never been drawn for anything. I don't feel the need to complain every year afterwards though.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #128
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Quote:

I totally agree with the youth hunts. It's easy to apply for everything and it's free. There is no penalty for accepting the hunt and not showing. Standby on youth hunts are very rare- so the hunt goes unfilled.

In the annual survey, I suggested that youth that get selected for multiple hunts select only one and return they others for the second draw.

basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #129
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Let's get the post back on track...

Let's see some pics of animals taken on the draw hunts !
Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 PM   #130
peterp63
Ten Point

I'm signed up for the "normal hard to get exotic hunts" and I'm technically a NR, but I bought my lifetime license before I left a year ago so nanny nanny poo poo!!!!

peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #131
BeetleGuy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Let's get the post back on track...

Let's see some pics of animals taken on the draw hunts !

Here are 3 that my daughter took at the Devils river. This was here 2nd year applying and she has drawn 3 hunts but this one was the best by far!!!

BeetleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #132
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Not a great picture but here's a 10 point taken from Matagorda island two seasons ago.Name:  20151201_084525.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  76.2 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #133
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post

Sounds like a typical response from TPWD Everyone keep hammering on them and maybe they'll change. In the meantime everyone have fun applying err I mean donating.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #134
Rounder
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I've only been putting in the draws for a couple of years and have yet to be drawn but had a question on applying as a group vs. individual.

There was some talk earlier in the thread about this could hurt your chances and some other guys have mentioned they have always been drawn as a group. I've always applied with a few buddies so we have similar points but would we have a better shot if we each applied as individuals?

Thanks.
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #135
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

First of the draws are coming up quick

DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #136
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.

Well, I started the year out strong. My son and I were drawn for a Dovehunt in Wharton.

salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #137
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Hunt In: Whatever public land I can find game on.

My daughter got drawn for a youth hunt for the second year in a row. Going to Colorado Bend SP on the GDE hunt this year. She was pumped to hear she was going on another hunt this year. She had a ball at the Chap last year.
Slow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #138
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

"Pending 2nd Draw" on all the Youth Gun for my boy, he's got 5 points.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #139
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

My nephew drew Richland Creek
Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #140
bowpro12
Ten Point

WHOOOP WHOOOP! I drew a dove hunt today! First TPWD hunt I've drawn in a while.
bowpro12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #141
txwhitetail
Ten Point

This many people cry and complain about not winning the powerball lottery each week ????
Old 08-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #142
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
"Pending 2nd Draw" on all the Youth Gun for my boy, he's got 5 points.
Same here big pile of pending 2nd draws, 6 points here, drew something almost every year under the old system, every other year for sure, SMH...
Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #143
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
This many people cry and complain about not winning the powerball lottery each week ????
I do!!! Lol

Gunna be pizzed at the system if I don't win tonight too!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #144
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

Pending 2nd draw on the first hunt of my list.
2050z is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #145
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Last year for my son to draw for youth hunts. He will be too old to go on standby. He did pretty good. Drew twice for Chap either sex over the years.

Been putting him and his brother on my either sex hunt cards for the last 6 years or so.

One of these days we will get lucky and will be a great family hunt.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #146
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Our group was drawn for Alligator @ J.D. Murphree 9/18-19...anybody got any advice, none of us have ever hunted gators before!

Chris
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #147
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2050z View Post
Pending 2nd draw on the first hunt of my list.
Same here for pronghorn.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #148
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I am pending 2nd draw on gator and pronghorn

I had 10 pref points going into pronghorn draw. At this rate I might not live long enough to draw one
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #149
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

my son has 2 points and is pending 2nd draw at the chap, garner and Bastrop for gun deer either.

good luck guys
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #150
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

I had 10 pref points going into pronghorn draw. At this rate I might not live long enough to draw one
Your not the only one, we've got 14 pp's for pronghorn.