Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #201
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Awesome thread!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #202
jkelbe
Ten Point
 
jkelbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Richardson
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

It's taken me a few days, but's it's all read. Great stories. Couldn't stop thinking about my lease and how I see very few deer after the chorus of gun shots on opening day in Nov. I will try your tips late this season if my Oct strategy fails. I only have 80 acres, so hopefully a few pockets will hold a biggun.
jkelbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #203
freezerfiller
Ten Point
 
freezerfiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southeast Texas
Hunt In: Loma Alta
Default

Ttt
freezerfiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #204
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

These old rambling bucks are about to start feeling the pressure a little bit. Come on guys....bust those East tx bucks out of their patterns! They are feeling wayyyyyyyyy to confident in strolling around right now. LOL
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #205
d_e_smith
Pope & Young
 
d_e_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: ETX
Default

Had one watch me roll by a little past noon last Sun. Standing within 50yds of our gate. I used that whole "if I don't tap the brakes, maybe he'll think I didn't see him" approach.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #206
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young
 
Shake N' Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Krum, Tx
Hunt In: Where ever im invited
Default

.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #207
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
Had one watch me roll by a little past noon last Sun. Standing within 50yds of our gate. I used that whole "if I don't tap the brakes, maybe he'll think I didn't see him" approach.
LOL! he was watching your brake lights!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #208
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point
 
RAGUIRREJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RGV
Hunt In: RGV
Default

Thanks for sharing your stories GarGuy! I just read this entire thread & enjoyed every bit of it. I'm sure my boss won't appreciate it though
RAGUIRREJR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #209
FlightCancelled
Six Point
 
FlightCancelled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Wow that is some awesome stories you have there garguy

Hopefully will have some new ones....soon
FlightCancelled is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #210
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young
 
Shake N' Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Krum, Tx
Hunt In: Where ever im invited
Default

This has to be in my top 5 all time best thread category!! Every time it pops up I read a few more stories.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #211
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

My wife and BIL both drive a certain area on their way to work and before daybreak. All last season they both saw two big bucks in a particular spot. I know the landowners and he has most of his property leased.

A few weeks ago, the same two bucks showed up in the same spot several mornings in a row and they are both bigger. They describe one as a crazy tall typical ten and the other as really wide. I ran into one of the lease members and asked him if they were getting pics of those deer. He said they just had a couple of pics in the middle of the night at a feeder. That started me thinking about where those two deer might be hiding.

I talked to the land owner and asked who was hunting the other side of the road. just as I suspected he said no one as for reasons I wont get into, it was obviously not where most folks might hunt. I asked if he minded me going over there and of course he didn't but advised that I was wasting my time.

Jooger17 was riding around with me and I told him I wanted to put out sme corn and a camera in a spot. I could tell he thought I was crazy but I put out vanilla corn and a camera for two days. When I picked the camera up, I had a bunch of pictures on it. All of them were daylight pics of a post mature 8pt about 20 inside!

I left the spot alone for a week and put the camera out again two days ago. I still don't have pics of the high ten but I had pics of 5 mature bucks. ALL DAYLIGHT PICS! One is a typical 9pt that's 23 inches inside and has four extras. Got 8-9 inch brows too.

You see, as the pressure increased on the property across the road, the deer reacted. Those folks have almost no chance of killing one of these deer because they have discovered where no one ever hunts! I think im going to put Dad on that old wide deer. I almost hate to bloody it up yet though. Its just a matter of time until the giant ten shows at the corn pile. Im getting pics of that wide 9 all hours of the day.

Pressured deer...they are easy to pattern. This is just the stupidest place to deer hunt you ever saw.

Last edited by GarGuy; 11-07-2014 at 03:40 PM..
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #212
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Sure enough a crazy deal!! Good luck with the big 10. Can't wait for him to show back up for you. I'm sure enough learning a lot from this thread and you
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #213
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

I have a few much bigger deer located so I may take dad after this wide deer Monday. His brows point forward and are super long. Probably wont score great but he is wide for East Tx.
Attached Images
     
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #214
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweeny
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties
Default

That is a real nice buck. I know you're shooting for 150+, but I'd have a hard time passing that deer right there.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #215
BubbaHFD
Ten Point
 
BubbaHFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Waller County
Default

Man I'd love for you to teach me the ways to ETX success. I've been getting my butt kicked for the last couple of years
BubbaHFD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #216
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point
 
Jesus is Coming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duncanville,Tx
Hunt In: A great spot
Default

2 awesome things about this thread (1) it's true (2) it works
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #217
armadillophil
Ten Point
 
armadillophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Keller
Hunt In: Grayson/Ohio
Default

Great buck. Did the area where bucks were spotted by the road have any special terrain feature? I used to see hundreds of dead deer on roads in Pennsylvania and would look at surrounding land to see why deer where crossing there. You can find those same type places where your hunting
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #218
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Man get your dad on that wide boy!! 23-24 for sure
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #219
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
Great buck. Did the area where bucks were spotted by the road have any special terrain feature? I used to see hundreds of dead deer on roads in Pennsylvania and would look at surrounding land to see why deer where crossing there. You can find those same type places where your hunting
Good point. This spot however had no logical reason for mature deer to cross there. Thats what made me think they were laying on the crazy side.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #220
Blythe13
Four Point
 
Blythe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alvarado
Hunt In: Walnut springs
Default

Awesome stories. Can't wait for the next ones
Blythe13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #221
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Man get your dad on that wide boy!! 23-24 for sure
I think I will. he might surprise folks a wee bit on score to. His tines all lean out and makes them appear shorter. his brows go forward and are 7 and 8 inches. Not much mass but he does have 10 inches of trash you cant see in those pics.

I have him at
mass 30
G1 15
g2 16
g3s 13
g4 4
beams 44
spread 23
trash 10

Total 155 gross
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #222
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Good stuff Steve. So this mature buck hangout.....what's it like? Open pasture with one small thicket area or something totally off the wall?
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #223
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Good stuff Steve. So this mature buck hangout.....what's it like? Open pasture with one small thicket area or something totally off the wall?
Totally off the wall. Cant describe it without someone finding it.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #224
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Totally off the wall. Cant describe it without someone finding it.
Understood. Hope you or your Dad get one of them!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #225
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Understood. Hope you or your Dad get one of them!
I honestly believe, I could kill this deer in an hours time. Gonna be a little different getting Dad in there without the deer knowing it but I have a plan.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #226
BIG BONE
Pope & Young
 
BIG BONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default

Great stories gar guy
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #227
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Another question for you.....when you first went in there to set a camera were you scared you might bump them out this area?
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #228
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young
 
Shake N' Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Krum, Tx
Hunt In: Where ever im invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I honestly believe, I could kill this deer in an hours time. Gonna be a little different getting Dad in there without the deer knowing it but I have a plan.

Looking forward to LDPs!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #229
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Another question for you.....when you first went in there to set a camera were you scared you might bump them out this area?
PM coming
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #230
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

I missed this thread originally. I've only made it to page 3, but am marking it so I can come back. I'm hooked! Great reading, Steve. Thanks for taking the time to write these and share them with us. A wealth of knowledge is within these pages.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #231
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHFD View Post
Man I'd love for you to teach me the ways to ETX success. I've been getting my butt kicked for the last couple of years
That's the only reason I posted this thread. I wanted to share how to hunt pressured deer. You can read all over this forum how every lease has a ghost buck that just gets seen once a year and never comes out in daylight. The truth is, he is SOMEWHERE in daylight and when you figure out where, he will never be more predictable. You can see him come marching in at 11am, thrashing brush and stomping the ground. Or....you can sit at the feeder and pray he shows up with a doe at last light.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #232
hardtner
Ten Point
 
hardtner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS
Default

Keep the stories and pics coming. Good stuff. Good luck to Dad
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #233
BubbaHFD
Ten Point
 
BubbaHFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Waller County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
That's the only reason I posted this thread. I wanted to share how to hunt pressured deer. You can read all over this forum how every lease has a ghost buck that just gets seen once a year and never comes out in daylight. The truth is, he is SOMEWHERE in daylight and when you figure out where, he will never be more predictable. You can see him come marching in at 11am, thrashing brush and stomping the ground. Or....you can sit at the feeder and pray he shows up with a doe at last light.
I've been trying to self teach myself how to hunt these thick ETX woods and I do not use a feeder. Example......The small property I got permission to hunt this season in NW Trinity Co (no lease) is very very thick. How are you picking these spots the deer are using? How are figuring what wind to hunt these spots and how the deer are coming and going? How do you get a camera set without spooking them out of the area?? Hahaha I have so many questions, sorry but I truly admire hunters like you sir.
BubbaHFD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #234
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
That's the only reason I posted this thread. I wanted to share how to hunt pressured deer. You can read all over this forum how every lease has a ghost buck that just gets seen once a year and never comes out in daylight. The truth is, he is SOMEWHERE in daylight and when you figure out where, he will never be more predictable. You can see him come marching in at 11am, thrashing brush and stomping the ground. Or....you can sit at the feeder and pray he shows up with a doe at last light.
One day buddy I'm dragging you to Mexico and you're gonna sit at my campfire!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #235
jooger17
Pope & Young
 
jooger17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lufkin, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHFD View Post
I've been trying to self teach myself how to hunt these thick ETX woods and I do not use a feeder. Example......The small property I got permission to hunt this season in NW Trinity Co (no lease) is very very thick. How are you picking these spots the deer are using? How are figuring what wind to hunt these spots and how the deer are coming and going? How do you get a camera set without spooking them out of the area?? Hahaha I have so many questions, sorry but I truly admire hunters like you sir.

The biggest part of this comes in finding them after deer season when they've been pressured the most. Go in and find their beds, with any luck you'll jump him and see him. Commit that spot to memory and you have 9 months to decide how to tweet it to where you can hunt it.

When you find a bed, the bed in itself will tell you what direction wind to hunt him.

Almost none of this will be learned in a days scouting trip. My favorite DCNF stand took me 3 years to put the puzzle together. When I did, I put an arrow in a 160's giant.

Every time you walk into the woods you need to be able to write a 2pg essay on what you learned... Even if you don't see an animal.

It's easy to get disgusted when you get your teeth kicked in day in and day out. The biggest mistake I see is guys not having the confidence to leave a spot because they're getting pics of "him" every NIGHT. He won't be fat from where you're getting pics. You have GOT to find where he lives, not where he's going.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #236
marshman
Ten Point
 
marshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, TX
Hunt In: Newton & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHFD View Post
Man I'd love for you to teach me the ways to ETX success. I've been getting my butt kicked for the last couple of years
x2!
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #237
d_e_smith
Pope & Young
 
d_e_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: ETX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Totally off the wall. Cant describe it without someone finding it.


They aren't bedding under a pole barn are they?
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #238
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
They aren't bedding under a pole barn are they?
HEY! too much info already! LOL
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #239
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

A few weeks ago, I showed Jooger17 a spot way back behind a big thick bedding area in the DCNF where there are about 30 big whiteoaks. Its a pain to get in there but when the acorns are falling in that sanctuary, the bucks always cover it up.

This evening He knew conditions were right and he sneaked in there this evening with carefull consideration to the wind. No stomping , trimming brush, hanging stands.. Just get in, set up quietly around 330pm. At 411pm a big 6.5 year old stud came stomping in , hooking bushes as he came. Here we are a full week into gun season in a heavily pressured part of the DCNF. The old buck came rolling in without a care in the world with the sun shining on him. He got a ride in Steves truck.

Maybe Steve will comment here but that's the way its done. No sneaking in right at last light. Big buck stompin in! Congrats Steve.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #240
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point
 
Jesus is Coming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duncanville,Tx
Hunt In: A great spot
Default

Proof in the pudding
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #241
Bowhunter004
Ten Point
 
Bowhunter004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brownsboro, TX
Hunt In: Eustace,TX/Crossroads, TX/ Sedan, KS
Default

Excited to see this buck!!
Bowhunter004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #242
hardtner
Ten Point
 
hardtner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
A few weeks ago, I showed Jooger17 a spot way back behind a big thick bedding area in the DCNF where there are about 30 big whiteoaks. Its a pain to get in there but when the acorns are falling in that sanctuary, the bucks always cover it up.

This evening He knew conditions were right and he sneaked in there this evening with carefull consideration to the wind. No stomping , trimming brush, hanging stands.. Just get in, set up quietly around 330pm. At 411pm a big 6.5 year old stud came stomping in , hooking bushes as he came. Here we are a full week into gun season in a heavily pressured part of the DCNF. The old buck came rolling in without a care in the world with the sun shining on him. He got a ride in Steves truck.

Maybe Steve will comment here but that's the way its done. No sneaking in right at last light. Big buck stompin in! Congrats Steve.

Congrats to him. Let's see the pics
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #243
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point
 
Jesus is Coming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duncanville,Tx
Hunt In: A great spot
Default

Here's the link to the other thread with pictures of the deer
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=493372
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #244
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point
 
Joshua Flournoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Default

GarGuy, having grown up hunting deep East Texas, including some in the general area of your stomping grounds of the DCNF, I have read this entire thread through with fascination. I live and hunt in Ohio now for the last 10 years. Brought up a lot of questions in my mind, hoping maybe you can shed some light on them to the best of your ability.

1) Is there any single characteristic that ALL of your "pressured" big buck hotspots have in common? Are they almost all centered around a thicket or a grown-up clearcut? What about something like a CRP field with head-high grass or a swamp with head-high clumps of swamp grass and alder type bush-thickets?

2) What is it about a spot that makes you look at it, and without even setting foot in it, say to yourself "that is THE spot"? How often have you thought that, only to inspect it and find, for whatever reason, it wasn't as good as you thought it would be?

3) Is there a "minimum" size that the thicket/clearcut needs to be, in your experience, in order to give those big mature bucks the security they need to feel like they can get up in the middle of the day, in broad daylight, and move around, as your many experiences show?

4) You've said several places in this thread that you do the setting up of the shooting lane, etc., during the Summer when possible. Is that from blind faith that the spot will be good, or because you had some reason to know mature bucks were spending time there in the previous Fall season?

5) In your descriptions of how you set up, you've indicated that you like to hunt the edge of the thicket/sanctuary, looking just into it from your stand or blind. You've mentioned single oak trees dropping nuts as being the deciding factor in several instances. What if you don't have something like that, how exactly do you decide where you're going to set up your shooting lane and stand/blind, just from the wind direction?

6) In a few of the stories, you, or you and your father or you and a friend shot more than one mature buck in a particular spot within a short period of time. Why didn't the other mature bucks vacate the spot after the first one was killed? After all, this thread is about "pressured" deer. If you're hunting a relatively small area and you fire off a gun right in their "sanctuary", why has that spot not now become a "pressured" spot as a result of the gun shot and the scent/noise you leave and make getting the deer out of there?

7) Are these magical spots you've had so much success finding, areas where those mature bucks spend a lot of time ALL YEAR LONG, or only during hunting season when the guns start blazing? And if they only spend time there when the guns start blazing, do they generally leave and go somewhere else from February on, after season is over?

8) When you're corning these spots over a period of time of more than just a few days, how often do you go in to put out more corn, and how much do you put out at one time? In a pile or thrown like chicken feed? Do you only go put out more corn with a certain wind direction, or will you put out corn on a certain schedule no matter what the wind direction? When you go put out corn, how far away do you think those bucks are generally bedded from your corn spot? 50 yards? 100? Further? It amazes me that these mature bucks that are retreating to that spot because of human pressure, will tolerate you going in there regularly to put out corn and check cameras.

9) It sounds like you've killed a lot of these bucks in early November, shortly after gun season starts. Obviously, that is during the rut, and yet your stories indicate groups of bucks together in these magical sanctuaries. What is your theory on why they will tolerate being in close proximity to each other at that time of the year (rut)? Sounds like you frequently see a lot of does at these sanctuary set-ups also?

10) Is it almost "necessary" for you to be hunting an area with a lot of pressure in order to be able to find these little hot-spots with mature bucks stacked up in them like cordwood? What about an area of private land with lots of quality habitat and little hunting pressure? Are the mature bucks a lot more likely to be spread out in different areas rather than kind of bunched up in one little spot like it sounds with a lot of your spots?

11) Are your best spots generally productive in this way year after year, so long as they remain "hidden" and a sanctuary"?

12) Do you ever have 2 different of these magical sanctuary spots a few miles apart (or less) where you find a particular mature buck or multiple bucks are using BOTH of them concurrently?

13) Are these bucks still leaving the sanctuary at night, just holing up in there during all daylight hours?

14) Any reason you think these same tactics wouldn't work in the Midwest U.S.?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to really understand your system in hopes that I can apply it to our southern Ohio bucks.

Last edited by Joshua Flournoy; 11-09-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #245
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper
Default

Wow,awesome thread. Thank you sir for taking the time out to type up these hunts. I cant wait till you tell the next one. Let me know if you ever need someone to round up some wood for your campfire.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #246
Paisano
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Default

Best thread I've read in a long, long time, thanks for sharing guys!!!
Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #247
justincorbell
Pope & Young
 
justincorbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: beautiful scenic China Texas
Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
The biggest part of this comes in finding them after deer season when they've been pressured the most. Go in and find their beds, with any luck you'll jump him and see him. Commit that spot to memory and you have 9 months to decide how to tweet it to where you can hunt it.

When you find a bed, the bed in itself will tell you what direction wind to hunt him.

Almost none of this will be learned in a days scouting trip. My favorite DCNF stand took me 3 years to put the puzzle together. When I did, I put an arrow in a 160's giant.

Every time you walk into the woods you need to be able to write a 2pg essay on what you learned... Even if you don't see an animal.

It's easy to get disgusted when you get your teeth kicked in day in and day out. The biggest mistake I see is guys not having the confidence to leave a spot because they're getting pics of "him" every NIGHT. He won't be fat from where you're getting pics. You have GOT to find where he lives, not where he's going.
That last sentence is where the hammer meets the nail!
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #248
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Extremely well thought out questions and each requires a detailed answer. I may tackle this a few at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
GarGuy, having grown up hunting deep East Texas, including some in the general area of your stomping grounds of the DCNF, I have read this entire thread through with fascination. I live and hunt in Ohio now for the last 10 years. Brought up a lot of questions in my mind, hoping maybe you can shed some light on them to the best of your ability.

1) Is there any single characteristic that ALL of your "pressured" big buck hotspots have in common? Are they almost all centered around a thicket or a grown-up clearcut? What about something like a CRP field with head-high grass or a swamp with head-high clumps of swamp grass and alder type bush-thickets?

2) What is it about a spot that makes you look at it, and without even setting foot in it, say to yourself "that is THE spot"? How often have you thought that, only to inspect it and find, for whatever reason, it wasn't as good as you thought it would be?

3) Is there a "minimum" size that the thicket/clearcut needs to be, in your experience, in order to give those big mature bucks the security they need to feel like they can get up in the middle of the day, in broad daylight, and move around, as your many experiences show?

4) You've said several places in this thread that you do the setting up of the shooting lane, etc., during the Summer when possible. Is that from blind faith that the spot will be good, or because you had some reason to know mature bucks were spending time there in the previous Fall season?

5) In your descriptions of how you set up, you've indicated that you like to hunt the edge of the thicket/sanctuary, looking just into it from your stand or blind. You've mentioned single oak trees dropping nuts as being the deciding factor in several instances. What if you don't have something like that, how exactly do you decide where you're going to set up your shooting lane and stand/blind, just from the wind direction?

6) In a few of the stories, you, or you and your father or you and a friend shot more than one mature buck in a particular spot within a short period of time. Why didn't the other mature bucks vacate the spot after the first one was killed? After all, this thread is about "pressured" deer. If you're hunting a relatively small area and you fire off a gun right in their "sanctuary", why has that spot not now become a "pressured" spot as a result of the gun shot and the scent/noise you leave and make getting the deer out of there?

7) Are these magical spots you've had so much success finding, areas where those mature bucks spend a lot of time ALL YEAR LONG, or only during hunting season when the guns start blazing? And if they only spend time there when the guns start blazing, do they generally leave and go somewhere else from February on, after season is over?

8) When you're corning these spots over a period of time of more than just a few days, how often do you go in to put out more corn, and how much do you put out at one time? In a pile or thrown like chicken feed? Do you only go put out more corn with a certain wind direction, or will you put out corn on a certain schedule no matter what the wind direction? When you go put out corn, how far away do you think those bucks are generally bedded from your corn spot? 50 yards? 100? Further? It amazes me that these mature bucks that are retreating to that spot because of human pressure, will tolerate you going in there regularly to put out corn and check cameras.

9) It sounds like you've killed a lot of these bucks in early November, shortly after gun season starts. Obviously, that is during the rut, and yet your stories indicate groups of bucks together in these magical sanctuaries. What is your theory on why they will tolerate being in close proximity to each other at that time of the year (rut)? Sounds like you frequently see a lot of does at these sanctuary set-ups also?

10) Is it almost "necessary" for you to be hunting an area with a lot of pressure in order to be able to find these little hot-spots with mature bucks stacked up in them like cordwood? What about an area of private land with lots of quality habitat and little hunting pressure? Are the mature bucks a lot more likely to be spread out in different areas rather than kind of bunched up in one little spot like it sounds with a lot of your spots?

11) Are your best spots generally productive in this way year after year, so long as they remain "hidden" and a sanctuary"?

12) Do you ever have 2 different of these magical sanctuary spots a few miles apart (or less) where you find a particular mature buck or multiple bucks are using BOTH of them concurrently?

13) Are these bucks still leaving the sanctuary at night, just holing up in there during all daylight hours?

14) Any reason you think these same tactics wouldn't work in the Midwest U.S.?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to really understand your system in hopes that I can apply it to our southern Ohio bucks.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #249
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Number 1. There IS in fact a single characteristic all these places share. They ALL have a feature that continually EXCLUDES human influx. Sometimes its a swift stream, sometimes a terrible briar patch, an uncrossable fence, or in my more recent private sanctuaries....NOONE is allowed.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #250
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Numbers 2 and 3- I like at least 20 acres but many are much smaller. However if they are really small, its really difficult to bunt them without busting the deer out. Do I miss sometimes? Sure, but if it has all the characteristics, its almost certain to blow up once the pressure gets on. many times , I will corn a spot right inside regularly and have just a little traffic. Doesn't bother me at all because they know where that corn is when the pressure gets on.

Some of the very best spots were fund by blood trailing a wounded mature buck. A gutshot deer will almost always go to his sanctuary if he can. Many of these spots are set up on a natural food just inside and when I know there are say..whiteoak acorns, I will slip in and hunt it when conditions are perfect with zero scouting. This is absolutely the most productive method but my recent addiction to hunting specific deer has led me away from it. Almost a guarantee to see a mature buck but he may be a 135 8pt. That's exactly what Jooger did last week. He went into my sanctuary in the DCNF totally blind, set down by a tree watching the whiteoaks and shot a 6.5 year old at 411 pm.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com