Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #201
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

[quote=old killer;4812958]Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.[/QUOTE

Yep, was on a unit 15 Gila hunt and had a truck drive by with five guys riding in the back with their bows...saw them in my scope two days later doing the same thing. Cracked me up!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #202
drthornton
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Good to hear DrT! I was curious if the core 4 stuff was any good. Still think Jason at KUIU is going to get the bulk of my funds this year. Do you have any of his gear besides the Icon. Speaking of, have you gotten to put the Icon through the paces yet???
Yeah it's pretty comparable to Sitka. I didn't really need anything but I really wanted to put together a Max-1 outfit...I am going to pair the pants with a first lite merino top as Core 4 doesn't have their pivot top in Max-1.

You could do a lot worse than the KUIU stuff. The blog on the quality of the materials was very interesting.
http://kuiu.wordpress.com/

I don't have any other KUIU stuff but I am eyeballing the Spindrift Primaloft jacket for a packable layer. If I were getting KUIU stuff I would get a 185 top and definitely the attack pants in addition to the spindfrift. I am not a fan of the regular jackets for backpack hunts as I feel they are too heavy and bulky for use in Sept. I also think the vest Kuiu has is a little thin to really provide much warmth. I am a big fan of vests and would look at a Sitka Celsius or Kelvin before the Kuiu.

I have not put the Icon to any paces yet...I have been lazy so far and didn't start training until this week. Putting my WY app in got me fired up. I suspect I'll start getting some weight in it in the next few weeks.

Last edited by drthornton; 01-19-2012 at 09:28 AM..
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #203
TWP
Ten Point

Nice!!! Yeah, I have been a follower of KUIU from the start. Have called and spoke with Jason a couple times, but didn't mountain hunt this year with newborn so didn't buy anything yet. I already have everything I need, but I still needs me the gear fix. ha ha ha
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #204
TWP
Ten Point

Well, saw something today that was cool and sad. Saw 20+ big bull elk north of town in Williston, ND. The bad thing is, they were eating hay inside a small high fenced pasture. They are truly amazing animals and always leave me in awe. Even if there is a fence between us.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #205
TWP
Ten Point

Dr, have any KUIU Icon field notes for any of us?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #206
ladrones
Pope & Young

What socks are yall using? My feet sweat bad so I prefer to use a very lightweight synthetic sock made by wigwam. I am going to try a few pair of warmer moisture wicking socks this off season.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #207
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
What socks are yall using? My feet sweat bad so I prefer to use a very lightweight synthetic sock made by wigwam. I am going to try a few pair of warmer moisture wicking socks this off season.
Merino wool are the best socks I've found. That stuff is just awesome on any type of clothing.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #208
TWP
Ten Point

Yep, merino wool is amazing indeed! I wish I could afford to have all my boxers, tshirts and socks made of it.

What brands of wool does everyone like?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #209
aoudad
Eight Point

Awesome thread guys. I got my first bull last year in NM and we are putting in again this year....

Socks, I wear smartwool socks, and sometimes the poly liners. Always carry an extra pair in the pack also.
aoudad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #210
marshrat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Payne County, OK

Just got my Kelty Cache Hauler in the mail. It is real now. I stuck the kids in for weight (50, 35, 30) and hauled them around the yard for 30 min while they were strapped in and giggling. Will make the first real trek this afternoon on a six mile walk with some weight. Will definitely let yall know how this goes.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #211
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by old killer View Post
Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.
If you don't mind me asking, how are you getting drawn every year for units in NM?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #212
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
Just got my Kelty Cache Hauler in the mail. It is real now. I stuck the kids in for weight (50, 35, 30) and hauled them around the yard for 30 min while they were strapped in and giggling. Will make the first real trek this afternoon on a six mile walk with some weight. Will definitely let yall know how this goes.
Yeah buddy! Congrats on the first step.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #213
marshrat
Ten Point

Well, other than a good piece of raw skin on my left foot, I made the six mile trek with 30 lbs up and down hills on a gravel road with not too much difficulty. I will be bumping up to 40 lbs this week. Trying to locate some good steep hills.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #214
Indian Creek
Six Point

Good thread. My first elk hunt was in central Idaho back in the early 90s. Had no clue what I was doing and it was pre internet so we did not have great info like what is on this thread. Dropped off by jet boat onto some terrible rocks almost killed myself getting my 80ish pound pack up to the trail head. Took canned food, dried sausage, jerkey etc to eat and a tarp was my tent along with a very comfortable but super heavy oversized sleeping bag(no sleeping pad is a bad idea). It was a learning experience from the moment our boots hit the rocks. To make a long story short rats ate most of the meat that I hung under my tarp the first day and night. We did try to bugle( again no idea)and had several bulls fired up and talking close by in the timber but never killed anything. The only other hunters we saw came in after we were there about 7 days and both killed good bulls in 2 days of hunting. They were kind enough to coach us but we were out of time by then. Net was a very fun trip that was a true adventure. I think the not knowing what we were doing is what made it so much fun. Most of what Ive learned since then has been mentioned already. Go light, get in shape,buy good gear(light), wool pants r awesome, and have fun.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #215
marshrat
Ten Point

I am really wondering about my tactics for camping out there. As a newb on a first year elk hunt, should I do the bivy thing or should I park the truck, walk a few miles, set up a spike camp, and hunt out of that for four or five days? I will be doing this alone, and I just don't want to have to hike all over hell and back unnecessarily, but I have never undertaken anything like this before. Even if I do the bivy style hunting, am I ok leaving my truck for days while I'm out chasing elk? This is getting more real as the season rolls around.

By the way, to update the guys from "The Elk Thread," the Kelty Cache Hauler is awesome and affordable. I am up to six miles at a time with 40-50lbs. Granted that is OK elevation, but I am busting my butt to do this. I think I'm gonna force my way into a Sept. hunt at work rather than wait until Nov.

++++ I know that I've talked about this before on this thread, but the more I'm training and the closer the time to put up or shut up, I'm getting a little nervous. I'm trying to remember that it is just an awesome experience, but I just don't want to bite off way more than I can chew my first time out. Is it wrong to be nervous about the first time doing this kind of hunt?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #216
TWP
Ten Point

Marsh, I will do this here instead of PM. First off, way to go! You've committed and are prepping yourself for success. I applaud you sir.

As for tactics. That is up to you brother. Are you planning on a wilderness area or a national forest/blm hunt? I highly highly suggest getting The Elknuts Play Book. I have personally never had problems with my truck being messed with. Believe me though, a solo bivy hunt is no joke. You need to have good woodsman skills and a good way to get a hold of the outside world if you get hurt. Shoot me a pm with what units you are looking at. Have you called any biologists?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #217
drthornton
Eight Point

Good for you Marshrat! People are more capable than they give themselves credit for. You are preparing physically and your passion for this hunt will give you the mental toughness you will need. Hundreds+ of guys go solo every year, you will be fine. Just remember, should you be successful you will have to get the meat out. For a solo guy that's at least 3 heavy round-trips, probably more.

Try to work out the kinks in your camping by doing it local. Find a primitive camp spot and hike to it just like you would be doing in the mountains. Use just what you haul in, eat mountain house, filter your water, crap in the woods....the whole 9 yards. Do that a few times and you will get your system right. Try to get your week long system down under 50#s. There is not much you can do to prepare yourself for the altitude other than being physically fit. You are gonna suck wind and go slow the first 2-3 days there is no getting around it.

In the latest Elk Hunter Magazine Nate Simmons talks about how to save weight in his Bivy pack. He said that over the years the most significant savings have been from clothing and food. Most guys just starting out(me included)pack way too much of both.

In addition to your physical preparedness you need to be adding gear and the winter is the best time as you can get great deals. The first year is the worst year for getting gear because you need everything and don't have any experience on what will work. 2 man tent, sleep system(pad/bag), water treatment and bladder,light rain gear, GPS, headlamp, boots, clothing are just a start on things that the normal flatlander deer hunter do not have or if they do have are not optimal for backpack hunting.

A Spot or Sat phone can be rented for your hunt. I definitely recommend one these for a solo hunt.

Also note that with the right coupon code you can get a pair of Asolo Sasslongs for about $125 from Sierra Trading Post. Sasslongs are a very capable boot for mountain hunting IMO. I have a pair as a backup.

Last edited by drthornton; 01-30-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #218
drthornton
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
Well, other than a good piece of raw skin on my left foot, I made the six mile trek with 30 lbs up and down hills on a gravel road with not too much difficulty. I will be bumping up to 40 lbs this week. Trying to locate some good steep hills.
Merino wool socks and duct tape my friend. Get to know both and you will avoid those crippling blisters.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #219
unclefish
Pope & Young

Marsh are you going solo for your first elk hunt in the back country?

If so that is extreme hard core....especially for a first timer. You can certainly tell me to mind my own business .... but try to get a partner to go with you.

First of all calling in an elk solo is very hard to do. I've done it but it was a lucky deal. Its way easier to kill an elk when a buddy is calling behind you. Its amazing how they hone in on exactly where the sound is coming from. If they don't see an elk where they think it should be....they are gone. At minimum bring a Montana Elk decoy with you if you go solo.

Second is packing out the animal.....very important have a packer lined up if you get something....call ahead. One man making multiple trips to pack an elk out many miles is next to impossible. At a minimum alot of meat would be spoiled just from the time and trips it takes to pack that elk out. It would take one man 4-6 trips to pack a whole elk out.

Lastly having a partner involved makes the mental aspect of the hunt so much better.
There was a guy on TBH last year that attempted a solo mule deer hunt in Colorado in the back country and after only a couple days he quit and came home. Weather and bad luck made him question his decision.

Just some things to ponder as you plan your hunt. Like I said....you can tell me to buzz off anytime.....I won't be offended.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #220
unclefish
Pope & Young

Moleskin will help with blisters....superglue will too.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #221
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Alright, I'm on this wagon now.
I just bought a 5 day horseback hunt in SE Idaho at the RMEF banquet.

I've been itching to get back in the mountains. I guess I need to ramp up my getting back in shape now.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #222
TWP
Ten Point

Way to go Clint! Is it a gun or bow hunt? Looking at doing an Idaho hunt this year as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #223
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Hunt In: Worldwide Adventures

There are no elk in Idaho!
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #224
tommyp
Eight Point

Hunt In: public land - western states

don't forget that tomorrow is the deadline for Wyoming non-resident applications.. unless you are just applting for a preference point (that will be in late summer)
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #225
TWP
Ten Point

My buddy's spotting scope pics say different! Ha ha ha
Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #226
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
don't forget that tomorrow is the deadline for Wyoming non-resident applications.. unless you are just applting for a preference point (that will be in late summer)
Thanks Tommyp, I'm just buying points this year. Boring and expensive, thank goodness for OTC.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #227
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Alright, I'm on this wagon now.
I just bought a 5 day horseback hunt in SE Idaho at the RMEF banquet.

I've been itching to get back in the mountains. I guess I need to ramp up my getting back in shape now.
Congratulations! When is the hunt? Just curious at the ammout of time you have to prep for the trip.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #228
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Quote:
My buddy's spotting scope pics say different! Ha ha ha
I know. Have been watching 2 big herds for the past couple months. Hopefully the wolves don't mess it up so I can find some sheds.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #229
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
Congratulations! When is the hunt? Just curious at the ammout of time you have to prep for the trip.
I waiting on the outfitter to e-mail me his open dates. It looks like it will be the latter part of September during the bugling season.

It will be archery.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #230
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Marsh are you going solo for your first elk hunt in the back country?

If so that is extreme hard core....especially for a first timer. You can certainly tell me to mind my own business .... but try to get a partner to go with you.

First of all calling in an elk solo is very hard to do. I've done it but it was a lucky deal. Its way easier to kill an elk when a buddy is calling behind you. Its amazing how they hone in on exactly where the sound is coming from. If they don't see an elk where they think it should be....they are gone. At minimum bring a Montana Elk decoy with you if you go solo.

Second is packing out the animal.....very important have a packer lined up if you get something....call ahead. One man making multiple trips to pack an elk out many miles is next to impossible. At a minimum alot of meat would be spoiled just from the time and trips it takes to pack that elk out. It would take one man 4-6 trips to pack a whole elk out.

Lastly having a partner involved makes the mental aspect of the hunt so much better.
There was a guy on TBH last year that attempted a solo mule deer hunt in Colorado in the back country and after only a couple days he quit and came home. Weather and bad luck made him question his decision.

Just some things to ponder as you plan your hunt. Like I said....you can tell me to buzz off anytime.....I won't be offended.
I won't tell you to buzz off at all. I appreciate the criticism, and if something happens, at least you will get a good "I told you so." This is really a quest that I'm on, and I'm a month into training. I know it will be tough, but it is something that I have to do. Everything will be more apparent when I get back and I do a write up over my experience. I'm gonna do the best that I can come hell or high water, and from what I have gathered from everyone, those two things may actually come to fruition on the hunt. Taking an elk is just a bonus for me, which I know will be incredibly difficult as it anyway both as a flatlander and a newbie. I will do my best. I wish I had someone to go with, but the reality is that when you have small kids like I do, friends seem to be fewer and far between, at least with my family. I really don't have anyone that is willing to come out with me, so I will make it one way or another. If I wait on someone, I may never get to go. I prefer just going and figure out what I need to do along the way. I will be prepared to the best of my abilit with gear, sat phone, and hopefully a decent gameplan, but I will have to learn on my own. I think for me, the mental aspect is the toughtest of all. I know that all I have to do is hike out empty handed to my truck and quit. Got a lot to prove to myself, and I have one heck of a wife who is backing me.

TWP, haven't spoken to anyone. I don't plan on doing any draw hunts or even applying. I just want to get out there and enjoy the experience and work hard. I have been focusing on training for the last month. Don't really even know what units to look at, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for the encouragement, and the warnings. They are both helpful, and it let's me know that the GS will be behind me as I'm trudging along.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #231
TWP
Ten Point

Marsh, don't worry. We are NOT trying to deter you or anyone else at all!!!! Just want you to go in with your eyes wide open is all. And not to make the mistakes that we have. You will anyway, but we try. Lol

With that said, you need to find a unit and start calling GWs and biologists to get best 1) access points 2) traditional population numbers 3) usual hunt success rates, etc. You need to have a game plan even if you are doing OTC.

What week are you looking at doing? If my group decides to do Colorado instead of Idaho, I don't see why we couldn't meet up.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #232
unclefish
Pope & Young

Good luck Marsh! I'm certainly not an expert but if I can help you in any way let me know.

Tapachat
Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #233
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Well my Kuiu order has been shipped out. Got my confirmation minutes ago. Can't wait to test it out along with my core 4. Sold all my sitka gear just so I could get the Kuiu. I am stoked.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #234
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind View Post
Well my Kuiu order has been shipped out. Got my confirmation minutes ago. Can't wait to test it out along with my core 4. Sold all my sitka gear just so I could get the Kuiu. I am stoked.
What did you order? Will need reviews also :-)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #235
hbuck
Four Point

I wont try and talk you out of going solo. I hunted elk a few years solo myself. Just got to be prepared for anything. I still enjoy going out solo. As far as the calling goes they can pinpoint you. I call for about 5mins then move and wait 20 mins. Keep a map in camp with a xspot just incase something does happen will have an area to start looking. Check in with somebody and let them know how things are going. Oh yea you know you are going to be a elkaholic just like the rest of us. Good Luck
hbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #236
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Quote:
What did you order? Will need reviews also :-)
Attack pants, spindrift jacket and beanie. They don't have the guide jacket or gloves in yet. I am using the core 4 base layers as they seem to be the best i have found. I am still debating on the chugach pants and jacket.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #237
tommyp
Eight Point

Hunt In: public land - western states

i use a spot, very handy and comofting for folks at home. i bought it a few years ago when i did a DIY solo hunt for Mountain goat in Utah. just be sure to renew the subscription each year.
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #238
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Well my jacket is back ordered and so is the beanie but I got my Kuiu Attack pants today. I tried them on and they fit and feel 100 times better than sitka. It's a close call between them and my core4element pants. I think the Kuiu are going to be a great set of clothing for any hunt.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #239
TWP
Ten Point

Cool, thanks for the update on KUIU
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #240
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Marsh, don't worry. We are NOT trying to deter you or anyone else at all!!!! Just want you to go in with your eyes wide open is all. And not to make the mistakes that we have. You will anyway, but we try. Lol

With that said, you need to find a unit and start calling GWs and biologists to get best 1) access points 2) traditional population numbers 3) usual hunt success rates, etc. You need to have a game plan even if you are doing OTC.

What week are you looking at doing? If my group decides to do Colorado instead of Idaho, I don't see why we couldn't meet up.
I know yall just want me to be cautious. I'm not going into this half azz. I know nothing about this type of terrain, especially hunting it. Trust me, I'm not taking this lightly. I appreciate all the help.

I was going to take the 3rd rifle season, but the more I think about it, if that is my only option, I may not do it because I want to arrow one rather take one with a rifle. It is just my preference. I would like to go during bow season, but I need to double check with the school in advance, as I have been told that if it is that far ahead, I should be ok. With that said, I am looking at a few days before and after labor day weekend, so I will at least have three days where I don't have to use vacation. That is my tentative plan, but I am still in the development stages on that. Meeting up in the mountains would be awesome if yall don't make to Idaho. Heck, I would love to go there as well.

I wouldn't mind checking into OR or ID myself since I can get OTC tags for both. Don't know what I may be in for, but I'm not letting the fact that I will have to hunt alone stop me.

I just hope that rifle season isn't my only option. Don't know what I'll do.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #241
rhendrix
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Been awhile since I poked my head in here...I thought the price of gear was going to not allow me to do a hunt this year...then I came up with an idea.

I don't wanna break the bank though and since I was in the Marines and did a lot of humping around with a Molle II pack for 5 years so I thought that I could pick one up from a surplus store or online and use it. I was looking at something like this. It should hold around 5000 cubic inches if you include the sleeper system carrier and side pouches...that should hold me over for a 4-5 day hunt, no?

I also applied the same logic to a pair of boots, I've read a bunch of threads about boots and I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on boots...I did a lot of humping around with boots similar to these in Iraq and never had any problems with my feet hurting or blistering and I did a lot of walking on patrols. I was also debating about picking up a pair of Under Armor Speedfreak Trail boots, I don't wanna spend more than a 150 bucks.

So, what say you? Good idea or bad idea?
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #242
TWP
Ten Point

Been WAY more critters killed in old army stuff then anything else!!! It might not be as comfortable, but you can sure do it. Don't let that stop you. I say go for it!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #243
rhendrix
Ten Point

How many days could I bivy out of with a 5000 cubic inch pack?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #244
TWP
Ten Point

IMO, a week or longer if you pack well. 5000 bag is plenty.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #245
reedjj
Six Point

Hunt In: Where the elk are

rhendix, I do not know about you but I hated the Molle System. You can pick up a large alice pack and frame for $30 on ebay. The newer ILBE for about $150 or so. I picked up a mystery ranch pack and used in for a week in New Mexico on an elk hunt and love it.

On the hunt I wore my cold weather USMC issue boots. They did well but were a little difficult in the snow when we got into the deeper stuff, they were not the best for traction.

I also have a military sleep system, alot of people knock it but I slept many a night under the stars with it and it worked well.
reedjj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #246
rhendrix
Ten Point

I didn't mind the Molle II system, I never had a problem with it breaking or anything. I've heard nothing but good things about the ILBE system though. To eBay I go.

I had a pair of the belleville desert boots, they were really similar to the Oakley type boots and really comfortable with great ankle support, which is why I thought they'd work great in CO.

And the sleep systems are awesome, I've slept many nights in the mountains of California under the stars like a baby thanks to the bivy sack and liner.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #247
drthornton
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
I also applied the same logic to a pair of boots, I've read a bunch of threads about boots and I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on boots...I did a lot of humping around with boots similar to these in Iraq and never had any problems with my feet hurting or blistering and I did a lot of walking on patrols. I was also debating about picking up a pair of Under Armor Speedfreak Trail boots, I don't wanna spend more than a 150 bucks.

So, what say you? Good idea or bad idea?
5000 in^3 of pack is plenty for a week and if you are comfortable with the Molle Pack and think you can hike uphill long distances with 50#s then go for it. I have seen discussion of guys that use Alice Packs with success. Renting gear may be an option. www.hutnhardcore.com is a really good guy that sponsors on bowsite.com. His website is down at the time of this writing. I emailed him to see whats what. http://www.outdoorsgeek.com is another site with more of a hiker focus. You could rent an entire camp setup...tent, pack, sleeping bag/pad, stove, water filter all for under $150 for a week. Hunthardcore also rents optics and GPS.

As far as the boots...I think you would be better served finding used or great deals on hiking boots instead of trying to make a desert boot work in the mountains. I may have missed it but I don't think they are waterproof and IMO that is a must. Those boots will lack lateral support and will be troublesome side hilling with a load on your back. You don't want to skimp on boots. Let me say it again becuase I can't stress it enough...you don't want to skimp on boots! Nothing can shut your hunt down faster than problems with your feet on a mountain hunt.
For a $150 budget get you a pair of Asolo Sasslongs from Sierra Trading Post.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/aso...r-men~p~83043/ and use winter2(additional 30% off) as a coupon code. You may get additional off as a new customer as well. Asolo makes a very capable Elk hunting boot and will last you many seasons. REI carries Asolo and other hiking boots that you can try before you buy.

Last edited by drthornton; 02-03-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #248
unclefish
Pope & Young

The worst part about boots and elk hunting is coming downhill from the mountain. Your feet and toes in particular take a beating with that downhill angle.

You don't have to spend alot on boots to hunt elk and be comfortable. I used some $49 Bass pro boots 2 years in a row with no problems....they fit me really well....that's the key...fit. They finally wore out and last year I bought some Danner GTX for $75 and they are awesome in the mountains. I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns and don't like them for elk hunting. Too heavy and hot for me. The majority of the time its warm in the mountains in Sept.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #249
dtu11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, New Mexico (Unit 23 for 2013)

I'll be headed to CO this fall and wondering about what type of boots I would need. I've been hunting in NM and my hunting boots were just too heavy and been thinking about some light weight hiking shoes. Would this work? Something like Merrels with GoreTex

Lowcut or Mids?

http://www.basspro.com/Merrell-Moab-...0203037/103988
dtu11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #250
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtu11 View Post
I'll be headed to CO this fall and wondering about what type of boots I would need. I've been hunting in NM and my hunting boots were just too heavy and been thinking about some light weight hiking shoes. Would this work? Something like Merrels with GoreTex

Lowcut or Mids?

http://www.basspro.com/Merrell-Moab-...0203037/103988
You got the right idea...most hunting boots weren't meant for hiking. Elk hunting is 90% hiking. I'd go with the Mids you need some ankle protection. Mine are Mids go just above the ankle.

Last edited by unclefish; 02-04-2012 at 12:39 PM..