Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #151
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
For the back country and wilderness areas, I am interested in going in and camping rather than going back and forth to my truck each evening. I don't know if that is a good strategy for a first timer, but if I am going to find the elk, I don't want to leave them to get back to my truck. So I'm guessing I need a bivy type pack. I don't even know what that consists of. Is there an essential gear list somewhere that could help me out? What strategies as far as going into an area will help out a beginner? I know to stay away from roads and trails that anyone can get to. I have gathered that, and I know obviously to venture further into an area than the other hunters, but other than that, I'm lost. Should I be going back to my truck each evening to camp? If I camp out somewhere away from my truck and I kill an elk, that is gonna be some really, really long packs to get the meat out. What is everyone's experience with this scenario? I think I'm gonna mainly try wilderness area because it seems that these places offer chances at elk with minimal pressure from "the crowd."
Thatta boy!!! Man after my own heart! Do you get closer phobic (sp) at all? If not, buy a good bivy sack that is waterproof and a good bag rated to 15 degrees or lower, depending on if you get cold easy or not. Get a lightweight tarp to put over it and protect you gear and you are good. If not, buy a good three season two man tent. Buy a sleeping pad, foam or inflatable. Cook stove, water container, meat bags, 550 cord, knives, safety gear, fire starter, rain gear, map compass ( know how to use them) and gps if you want to. Good clothing, wool socks, good boots, some glass if you hunt open country, and lots of enthusiasm. Sure that others have a full list, these are just the basics.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #152
drthornton
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT

TWP...another buddy has a z65 and it's a neat pack and it'll do everything you need except haul really heavy loads and if I were you I'd be looking at a different pack too. If you've got the coin you can't go wrong with either MR or Kifaru. Personally I would get a Timberline 2 instead of a KU5200...I would be scared to poke a hole in that tarp material.

Marshrat...The general rule in finding Elk is to look for High North facing timbered slopes and thick creek drainages. In Wilderness areas Elk will be at timberline feeding early/late and dip into timber during the day.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #153
TWP
Ten Point

Yeah, I keep an old school Kelty for the quarters, and just haul out the goodies with the Gregory. Only got to do it once since I bought it though. Going to look hard at the MR 6500, just because I've got a buddy who loves his, and I plan on doing a ewe sheep in in next 3-4 years. How is the fabric on the Icon?

Marsh, none of this higher end stuff is a have to get gear. Tons of critters killed with 10 year old bows, Alice packs from army surplus store, and old fatigues or sweat shirts. Just depends on how tough you are!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #154
TGW
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado/Tom Green County

I've got the Longhunter and will have the Timberline 2 in two months so if anyone is interested in a test drive in the Angelo area I'd be more than willing. I chose the T2 over the UL series for the very reason drthornton stated...I know I'd poke a hole in it climbing over blowdowns; I've been know to lose my balance a time or two as well.

Also don't discount hunting near unit boundary lines; folks tend to stay well away of those and if the terrain is right the elk will go where people are not. Just make sure you know where you are and know how to use a map, compass, and GPS.

If your new to backpack hunting my advice is to weigh everything; you'll be suprised how fast your "essentials" will increase pack weight. Then things become not so essential! A good rule of thumb is to carry no more than 40% of your ideal bodyweight...not what you weigh after Christmas
TGW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #155
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

One thing I have noticed is that no matter how well you're prepared physically, going from 100' to 10K'+ is something your lungs and muscles will take note of...especially if it's below zero and you're forced to put on clothes with some weight to them.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #156
TGW
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado/Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Yeah, I keep an old school Kelty for the quarters, and just haul out the goodies with the Gregory. Only got to do it once since I bought it though. Going to look hard at the MR 6500, just because I've got a buddy who loves his, and I plan on doing a ewe sheep in in next 3-4 years. How is the fabric on the Icon?

Marsh, none of this higher end stuff is a have to get gear. Tons of critters killed with 10 year old bows, Alice packs from army surplus store, and old fatigues or sweat shirts. Just depends on how tough you are!
TWP is right; you don't need all this high end stuff to start out. Matter of fact you probably never "need" it, but I consider the gear as my whiskey bottles. My wife accuses me of being a gear whore and I'm not denying it. Whatever you do, just test it out before relying on it in the mountains. That may mean just using it in your backyard, which I've done with sleeping bags on chilly nights to see how they work out. Last, you can get a steal on many items slightly used on the various backpacking/hunting forums.
TGW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #157
ladrones
Pope & Young

I just use a osprey aether 70. Not much money into it at all. It is lightweight and it works.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #158
marshrat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Payne County, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
TWP...another buddy has a z65 and it's a neat pack and it'll do everything you need except haul really heavy loads and if I were you I'd be looking at a different pack too. If you've got the coin you can't go wrong with either MR or Kifaru. Personally I would get a Timberline 2 instead of a KU5200...I would be scared to poke a hole in that tarp material.

Marshrat...The general rule in finding Elk is to look for High North facing timbered slopes and thick creek drainages. In Wilderness areas Elk will be at timberline feeding early/late and dip into timber during the day.
For the directionally and instructionally challenged, could you clarify "high north facing timbered slopes?"
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #159
drthornton
Eight Point

TWP... Fabric on the ICON is quite sturdy. I am not a bit concerned it is gonna handle more than I can throw at it. It has plenty of volume, plenty of pockets and adjustable to fit my long torso. Also note that I got the Major Brown and it looks more like dark army green in person. One of my biggest criteria was a pack I could use as a day pack once I set "Spike". The KUIU pack does it in spades. From what I have read 80#s in the high end of comfort on this pack and that suits me fine.

To TGW's points about gear....There is so much crap you think you need but you really don't when you put your stuff together. Places you can really shave weight are in your sleep system, food and clothes. The Sleep System may cost you a little. Find a tent and bag/pad that is as light as your budget allows. Most folks starting out take too much food, good rule of thumb is to keep your calories at 100calories+/ounce. Everyone starting out takes too many clothes. You need 1 set of quality clothes, a good base layer, 2 pair of underwear, 2 pair of merino socks, a vest, stocking cap and rain gear...maybe a primaloft or down jacket for Sept Elk hunting. It's really hard for us TX boys to pack what is essential instead of what is possible.

I am with TGW...Hunting is where my personal expendable income goes so spending $ on high dollar stuff I only use for a couple weeks a year is just something I do. Never skimp on footwear/socks though.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #160
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
For the directionally and instructionally challenged, could you clarify "high north facing timbered slopes?"
Marsh, it is the slope that will be facing north, it will also almost ALWAYS have more veggatation on it as well. You will most def see what we mean once you get up there. The north facing slopes in some areas only get limited sunlight vs the southside, more veggies equal more elk and more elk cover. An example is usually a north facing bar ditch will hold snow for several more days longer than a south facing bar ditch, the south gets more sunlight and more melting. (best way I can describe it for us flatlanders)

The Colorado game and fish has a really cool interactive map that you can overlay summer, fall, and winter elk concentrations. Find an OTC game unit, turn on the overlay, find the areas with the largest concentrations of elk, then find north facing slopes as far away as you can from roads. This will be your starting point. Then zoom in on areas via Bing Maps or Google earth and find streams, lakes, or even meadows in these areas. These will be your first places to check out. Then find a couple Gosh awful green areas with big elevation changes (run your mouse over areas in Google Earth to see elevation changes) and those are your "he!! hole" canyons that elk will get into if there is a bunch of pressure. These are not for the faint of heart or the weak minded. But you can get some big boys out of these areas.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #161
marshrat
Ten Point

Thanks TWP. Makes a little more sense now. Should i just be looking for concentration numbers? Am i just picking any unit to begin or am i looking for something in the unit in particular? What should I do about calling? Any call recommendations that I can get and start practicing now? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #162
marshrat
Ten Point

Just thought of another one. Am I able to bow hunt at all for CO elk in November? That may be the only time that I can go. I just don't know that I can get up there in September because of school. I've probably asked that a lot but I guess I'm holding out for a good answer. Again sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #163
drthornton
Eight Point

Yes you can bow hunt in NOV but you'll be doing it with a any weapon(rifle) tag, other rifle hunters and in the snow...maybe lots of it. Now, I'm sure this can be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it in CO. I understand your delima...my wife is a teacher.

I know there are archery hunts in New Mexico in Dec but you've got to realize that archery hunting Elk out of the rut takes an already difficult task to an enormous task.

If you are hell bent on hunting Elk and have to do it in Nov I would consider dropping your bow and picking up a rifle. Rifle hunting Elk is no easy task either!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #164
TWP
Ten Point

If you like gosh awful cold and coming to a gun fight with a knife. If you are going to hunt in the snow with a bow, I suggest a rut mule deer hunt. IMO
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #165
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks TWP. Makes a little more sense now. Should i just be looking for concentration numbers? Am i just picking any unit to begin or am i looking for something in the unit in particular? What should I do about calling? Any call recommendations that I can get and start practicing now? Sorry for all the questions.
Google Elk Nuts and get his play book and hunting videos. They give you the how and why of calling and what the elk are saying to each other. You don't have to call, and if you call wrong, it can be worse than no calling at all. I am a horrible caller and do better when I go in silent or set up silently around wallows or meadows.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #166
ladrones
Pope & Young

I would not reccomend the NM late season archery tags. It is a very rough hunt and if it is your first elk hunt it could even turn you off from elk hunting.

If you cannot get off of school earlier I would consider starting out with a landowner rifle cow tag. Maybe during the thanksgiving break. At least you would be able to get your feet wet with elk hunting.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #167
hbuck
Four Point

Elk are where you find them. A few years back we I got up to make coffee and thought I heard something in the drainage behind camp. Two different bulls were in the drainage right behind our camp and close to a road. That afternoon as I was calling a bull in for sil a couple of hunters came in on the bull from upwind!!!! Sometimes elk will suprise you where they dediced to hold up. The hunters could hear the bulls from the road.
hbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #168
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes you can bow hunt in NOV but you'll be doing it with a any weapon(rifle) tag, other rifle hunters and in the snow...maybe lots of it. Now, I'm sure this can be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it in CO. I understand your delima...my wife is a teacher.

I know there are archery hunts in New Mexico in Dec but you've got to realize that archery hunting Elk out of the rut takes an already difficult task to an enormous task.

If you are hell bent on hunting Elk and have to do it in Nov I would consider dropping your bow and picking up a rifle. Rifle hunting Elk is no easy task either!
I don't mind doing the rifle hunt, but I really REALLY want one with the bow. I know it won't be easy, as I can hardly hunt whitetail on public land up here. No bait, no feeders, just looking for sign and stalking.

I have always been nervous about being around other public land hunters during a rifle season. I don't think I can afford a landowner tag, which is why I need a DIY hunt in the first place. I think the earliest that I could ask off would be maybe the beginning of October. I have contemplated just going for three or four days, but I don't want to cut the experience short. I know most people are in for a week or so, or so I have always believed in my head. Would three or four days be OK for a decent trip? I think I already know what the answer will be.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #169
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
I would not reccomend the NM late season archery tags. It is a very rough hunt and if it is your first elk hunt it could even turn you off from elk hunting.

If you cannot get off of school earlier I would consider starting out with a landowner rifle cow tag. Maybe during the thanksgiving break. At least you would be able to get your feet wet with elk hunting.
What makes it rough, if you don't mind me asking? Weather, terrain, etc.? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #170
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
If you like gosh awful cold and coming to a gun fight with a knife. If you are going to hunt in the snow with a bow, I suggest a rut mule deer hunt. IMO
Rut mule deer hunt in CO? I can do that as well. Not an elk, but I could get real familiar with the terrain, cold, pain, etc. really fast. What is the difference in price for the mule deer as opposed to the elk?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #171
ladrones
Pope & Young

My brother did the hunt just last month. The unit he was in had a harvest restriction of a minimum of a 6x6.That time of year the bulls are mostly all alone and most of the units are very spread out with really low numbers of elk compared to northern NM and CO.

They were burning 10-12 miles of leather per day. They seen mostly 5x5s. If you go to the NM game and fish page you can look up the odds for the late season archery hunts.

Why are you against public land rifle hunts? We watched a couple of really nice elk prior to the first rifle elk hunt this past OCT. When we set camp we noticed there was a group of hunters near were we had been watching a really big one. For some odd reason the did not think they were in a good location? They decided to move there camp the afternoon of the second day. That evening we went in there and my buddy shot his first elk ever a 330 class.

We did not really see that many hunters at all. Plus if you have a good set of optics and like to hike you can get away from about 90% of the hunters.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #172
marshrat
Ten Point

I guess it's the fear of dummies from hunting in East Texas. That is most of it. Hunter orange didn't mean anything. I'm getting over it, and as long as I can get completely away from everyone, I think my chances will go up. I'm not against public land anything. If it wasn't for that, someone like me wouldn't be able to hunt at all. I just want it to be with my bow. I started that this year, and have done well, at least for me. I want to continue the bow only tradition next season, and I know that taking elk, mule deer, etc. with a bow would mean more to me. Just my preference. Having said that, if the difference between me taking an elk is weapon choice, I will pick up the rifle. Actually, I will have to purchase a rifle, unless a .30-.30 would work. LOL

Are NM elk tags OTC as well? Is the price comparable to the CO OTC? Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Is NM easier to hunt in November as opposed to the cold and snow of CO? Looking for direction, so I can pick a place and start looking at units. Thanks for the heads up and the help. I really need it.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #173
marshrat
Ten Point

On a preparation note, what do you do to prepare for carrying the packs? I have been throwing 50 lbs. in an old backpack and just walking. Not ready to head out yet, but on the way.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #174
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are NM elk tags OTC as well? Is the price comparable to the CO OTC? Just trying to get a ballpark figure. Is NM easier to hunt in November as opposed to the cold and snow of CO? Looking for direction, so I can pick a place and start looking at units. Thanks for the heads up and the help. I really need it.
NM is all draw unless you can get a landowner voucher.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #175
marshrat
Ten Point

Are all the draws only for people with preference points?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #176
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Great thread.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #177
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Are all the draws only for people with preference points?
NM doesn't have pref points, it is even chances for everyone every year. That said, being a NR it is going to be a biotch, a huge one, to get drawn for a bull tag, especially in the HD (high demand) units. BUT you could probably get drawn for a cow tag if you put it first choice in your app. Not guaranteed though.

In all seriousness, if you can't get free for several days in Sept. then I'd do a rifle hunt. Will allow you to get into the woods and learn about elk and the areas they live in and how they live. That is the most important thing anyway. If you can't do that, I would HIGHLY suggest you go for a NR cow tag in NM and get it for a unit that is closest to you and you can get the most time to hunt and not just traveling. There is nothing better than hearing elk scream in the early morning darkness with a bow in your hand, who cares if it is a bull or cow tag?!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #178
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
On a preparation note, what do you do to prepare for carrying the packs? I have been throwing 50 lbs. in an old backpack and just walking. Not ready to head out yet, but on the way.
Lift heavy weights doing big compound movements one day, then run the next day (mix up times, lengths and speeds) then hike long distances with increasing pack weight, then repeat the three days as needed. Just don't be overzealous and try running with heavy packs in your boots ala death march style, it will kill your knees. Believe me, that is what I did last year. Dumb.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #179
drthornton
Eight Point

No cow tags for non-residents thru the draw anymore...All cow tags go to residents as of this year. You will have to buy a landowner tag if you want to hunt cows in New Mexico.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #180
drthornton
Eight Point

Note: The MT archery Elk season runs to the middle of Oct.

3 or 4 days would be OK if you already knew where Elk were. You could consider a week+ long scouting trip during the summer(before school) and try to find a few different groups and fresh sign. That would allow you to do a bonzai for 3-4 days during the season. As long as the Elk you find are off the beaten path they will still be in the general area come season. If you couldn't locate any Elk you could save yourself the $600 and try it again next year.

You've got a built in 3 day weekend for labor day. You will probably be looking at 12hrs each way for drive time though.

Colorado's Archery season for 2012 will be 8/25 – 9/23

Last edited by drthornton; 01-03-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #181
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Note: The MT archery Elk season runs to the middle of Oct.

3 or 4 days would be OK if you already knew where Elk were. You could consider a week+ long scouting trip during the summer(before school) and try to find a few different groups and fresh sign. That would allow you to do a bonzai for 3-4 days during the season. As long as the Elk you find are off the beaten path they will still be in the general area come season. If you couldn't locate any Elk you could save yourself the $600 and try it again next year.

You've got a built in 3 day weekend for labor day. You will probably be looking at 12hrs each way for drive time though.

Colorado's Archery season for 2012 will be 8/25 9/23
Yeah, I've thought about just getting a couple of days at Labor Day. I hope it can happen. If not, rifle it is. I will put in for CO and NM I guess. Bull for NM and either for CO OTC. My plan is to take the family to Yellowstone this summer, but because the kids are still young, we may only make to CO. Either way, I will be stopping for a few days at a TBD wilderness area.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #182
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
No cow tags for non-residents thru the draw anymore...All cow tags go to residents as of this year. You will have to buy a landowner tag if you want to hunt cows in New Mexico.
You are correct sir, I forgot about the changes. Yet another reason that the NM folks are going to lose their butts.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #183
marshrat
Ten Point

IF I am looking at this correctly, CO has OTC hunts for deer as well. I noticed that they have a late season archery, Dec. 15-31. That is for mulies, correct? It also says that it is for plains deer or East of I-25. I know it will be colder than Hades, but I may try it if it is OTC. I may do it if its a draw hunt also. I want to chase elk and mulies, but I am just trying to line up my times.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #184
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
IF I am looking at this correctly, CO has OTC hunts for deer as well. I noticed that they have a late season archery, Dec. 15-31. That is for mulies, correct? It also says that it is for plains deer or East of I-25. I know it will be colder than Hades, but I may try it if it is OTC. I may do it if its a draw hunt also. I want to chase elk and mulies, but I am just trying to line up my times.
I'm pretty sure that all deer in CO is draw now.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #185
tommyp
Eight Point

Hunt In: public land - western states

to my knowledge all colorado deer tags for non residents are draw only. but there are several units that can be drawn with 0 preference points.
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #186
drthornton
Eight Point

All deer licenses in CO are limited. Eastern CO is almost all Private...you need a place to hunt before you go for that. If there are tags it probably means there is no public land to hunt and the tags were leftovers. Eastern CO is a mix of Whitetails and Mulies.

Don't know if this is what you are getting at but I would not try to combo hunt anything with Elk. When you combo hunt you tend to water down both species and usually come back disappointed.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #187
TWP
Ten Point

Yep, deer are all draw. The crop lands and fields east of the Interstate can be awesome awesome hunting, but I believe that it is also pretty much all private land. Doesn't mean you can't find somebody out there who would be willing to let you hunt. Do a Google search to find land that looks good, find river bottoms and the like, then you can find out the parcel pieces and then find the ownership of the parcels and start making phone calls. You can do it, just gonna take more work than most folks are willing to put into it. Me personally, I'm doing that exact thing in a few spots in Montana. Lots of nos and heck nos. But it is all in the fun of DIY!!! Worth so much more too if you get a critter down.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #188
marshrat
Ten Point

Several general questions again. Sorry if the info is redundant. To apply for a muley tag, I have to pay for the license up front, and then if I don't get drawn, they send me a refund minus their application fees in CO? Is that correct? I have mainly been concerned with archery, but to have a chance to even go during elk season, I may have to pick up a rifle. So, I am assuming that there OTC tags for rifle elk? I am looking at the 3rd season to try and burn vacation days.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #189
marshrat
Ten Point

Not trying to combo anything. I am just trying to get a workable game plan together. This hunt is the reward for something that I am trying to accomplish right now that means a lot to me. I want an elk more than anything, and once I accomplish this goal, I will be better prepared to take one. I am training with weights, walking with weighted packs and doing cardio. I also have plans, tentative mind you, for 5Ks and the like to get me further motivated. The only thing that is stopping me is the timeframe. I doubt I can hit CO with the family and scout during the summer. It just ain't gonna happen. I can't get where I need to go off the beaten path with three small children and my wife. For some reason, that is not their cup of tea. LOL. This is something that I have to do. It is a reward and personal goal all in itself. So, if scouting during the summer for a week is out of the question, then I guess I will have to pick up a rifle tag OTC, and then take the days off in November. I will have to scout for a few days and hunt the rest, hopefully. The more research I put in and find out what to look for and where to take a chance, the more successful I will be. If I don't come out with one, I will know that I have accomplished more in the last year than I have in a long while, I will be more experienced, have a heck of a photo album started, and will be better prepared for the following season having navigated terrain and seen sights that most hunters will never even attempt to see. That in itself is success in my book as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #190
marshrat
Ten Point

By the way, thanks to all, especially TWP and drthornton for helping me on this crusade. I know I have MANY questions, but that is the student in me. I want to learn all I can, down to the most minute detail. Thanks, again.

TC
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #191
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Not trying to combo anything. I am just trying to get a workable game plan together. This hunt is the reward for something that I am trying to accomplish right now that means a lot to me. I want an elk more than anything, and once I accomplish this goal, I will be better prepared to take one. I am training with weights, walking with weighted packs and doing cardio. I also have plans, tentative mind you, for 5Ks and the like to get me further motivated. The only thing that is stopping me is the timeframe. I doubt I can hit CO with the family and scout during the summer. It just ain't gonna happen. I can't get where I need to go off the beaten path with three small children and my wife. For some reason, that is not their cup of tea. LOL. This is something that I have to do. It is a reward and personal goal all in itself. So, if scouting during the summer for a week is out of the question, then I guess I will have to pick up a rifle tag OTC, and then take the days off in November. I will have to scout for a few days and hunt the rest, hopefully. The more research I put in and find out what to look for and where to take a chance, the more successful I will be. If I don't come out with one, I will know that I have accomplished more in the last year than I have in a long while, I will be more experienced, have a heck of a photo album started, and will be better prepared for the following season having navigated terrain and seen sights that most hunters will never even attempt to see. That in itself is success in my book as well.
Good for you brother! Keep on working for it, and your health and progress will be a reward in itself. Taking an elk would just be icing on the cake.

My suggestion, do the rifle hunt this year in CO. Starting this week, start calling the biologists in the southern part of the state. Find out about where all the elk end up during the third season. Go from there and start working on your long range shooting. Also, make sure to get a good tent with a good stove and be prepared for cold weather and maybe horrible weather. It is very very important that you know how to 1) build a shelter in a hurry 2) have several ways to start a fire in as many ways a possible. A good synthetic bag would be a very good idea also, just so you don't have to worry about getting a down bag wet. The weather can/will change in a hurry that late in the year, and you need to be ready to take precautions just in case. Also, make sure to get a GPS in case you get in bad weather and can't see to get your bearings. Great, water proof boots are a must also. Good luck!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #192
tommyp
Eight Point

Hunt In: public land - western states

if you are serious about getting a plan together, for this year, or in the future you need to start building points this year, and keep after it. if there is a group, all needto be committed to the cause and stay constant with thier applications. because if anyone misses a year out of applying for points, it throws the whole group backwards. and if you do have a group apply as a group, either everybody has a tag, or nobody has a tag. when groups apply as individuals, sometimes it can be hard to get the non hunting parts to commit to coming along in the fall.
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #193
drthornton
Eight Point

Check out the video of Season 3 Episode 4...it is a 3rd season Elk hunt in CO.
http://onyourownadventures.com/video.php

The show, website and the Forum(Hunt Talk) are a great resource for western hunting.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #194
TWP
Ten Point

Quote:
Check out the video of Season 3 Episode 4...it is a 3rd season Elk hunt in CO.
http://onyourownadventures.com/video.php

The show, website and the Forum(Hunt Talk) are a great resource for western hunting.
Great link!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #195
marshrat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
if you are serious about getting a plan together, for this year, or in the future you need to start building points this year, and keep after it. if there is a group, all needto be committed to the cause and stay constant with thier applications. because if anyone misses a year out of applying for points, it throws the whole group backwards. and if you do have a group apply as a group, either everybody has a tag, or nobody has a tag. when groups apply as individuals, sometimes it can be hard to get the non hunting parts to commit to coming along in the fall.
I am assuming that even though I'm going OTC, I can still get points or put in for preference points for later?

Also, I wish I had a group to go with, or hell, for that matter, a partner. I don't have anyone who is willing to make that trip with me except my wife, and I think she believes we would be staying at a "Guide Series" lodge. But, I guess that will be the fun in it: trying to figure out what I'm made of. Also, since I am not acclimated to this area, I would hate to slow someone down my first time out. I'm not ruining anyone's hunt because I need to find my "mountain legs." Maybe in the future though. I hope in the future.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #196
TWP
Ten Point

Bringing this back up. TONS of great info.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #197
drthornton
Eight Point

There has been a lot of good clothing on camofire. The Core 4 Element stuff is very good. I got some Switchback pants which seem every bit as good as my Sitka Ascent.

If anyone needs Sitka or First Lite stuff...this place has the best deals online
http://high-mountain-outfitters.com/Sitka-Gear_c5.htm

WY apps due in a little over 2 weeks.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #198
TWP
Ten Point

Good to hear DrT! I was curious if the core 4 stuff was any good. Still think Jason at KUIU is going to get the bulk of my funds this year. Do you have any of his gear besides the Icon. Speaking of, have you gotten to put the Icon through the paces yet???
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #199
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Power bugle from elk inc. It is a great locater call. I prefer the chuckle after I find a bull, in N.M. it seems to work best early season. Peterson's hyper-hot for a hot cow call and any mouth call that you can make work, the reed call I keep in my mouth to stop a bull where I want him.
The new rules in New Mexico will run off a lot of nr's. I am not sure what will happen, but we get drawn every year for the north central units.
We average 66% kills, and two years we had 100%. We don't hunt for the huge trophys, but have taken 2 320's and 2 310's in the last few years.
In N.M. the most trouble comes from locals cutting firewood everywhere and hunting on the roads. They almost never get off the roads to find elk.
old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #200
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Marsh, it is the slope that will be facing north, it will also almost ALWAYS have more veggatation on it as well. You will most def see what we mean once you get up there. The north facing slopes in some areas only get limited sunlight vs the southside, more veggies equal more elk and more elk cover. An example is usually a north facing bar ditch will hold snow for several more days longer than a south facing bar ditch, the south gets more sunlight and more melting. (best way I can describe it for us flatlanders) .
IMO the north facing slopes would apply to early season hunts when its warm....ie...early archery season. Elk want to stay cool.....North slopes are where its at.

However....Like TWP states above when its cold with snow on the ground (rifle season or any late hunt)......South facing slopes would more likely hold elk. They get more sunlight....the elk can get out of the wind...the snow will melt first on a south facing slope.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top