Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
wyoming elk 1st on the list. then depending on those results... wyoming deer and antelope, colorado points all the way around, utah deer& elk points, sheep apply. idaho mt goat apply. nevada apply for mt. goat and deer. kansas deer point, and texas public land. also this year montanna allowed hunter to apply for points only would like tobank a few points have some future areas in mind. idaho archery elk is a good fall back option if for some reason plans are unsuccessful.
Tommy, do you mind letting us know how you go about doing your homework on animals, states, units, etc???

Just a short little write up or maybe just some links to help some of the newbies better understand the draw process? You seem to have it down pretty darn well.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #52
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
We will be after cows this weekend. My nieces have youth tags.
Please keep us in the loop on how they do! What unit?

Side note, used to shoot a lot of ducks in your neck of the woods/desert when I lived in NM. Best of luck to your nieces.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #53
Kokanee
Six Point
 
Kokanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington!
Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina
Default

Here is a great start to Colorado for beginners or new to Colorado hunters. It helped me a lot!
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...rsity2011.aspx

Surf their entire site, lots of good information for OTC DIY hunts as well as their draws and pref. point info.
Key in on the Big Game Regional Hunting guides. Shows the rules and regs., antler restrictions, Pack horse requirements as well as the previous seasons harvest stats by region/unit. Like drinking from a firehose!
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...s/BigGame.aspx

Also, not sure about other states, but CO. requires hunter safety course proof after 1948, not 1972 like Texas. Witnessed one poor guy get turned away at the license counter after driving 16 hours!

US Forest service Maps here, or mytopo.com to make your own.
http://www.fs.fed.us/maps/
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
hbuck
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default

Oregon is over the counter for tags. The web address is www.dfw.state.or.us you can get the game regulations there. We dont have the elk numbers that Co. does.
hbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #55
tommyp
Eight Point
 
tommyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: public land - western states
Default

i will try to put togther a list. and some links. dates and so on. once you get started it is not too bad. it does take commitment and planning for not only this next year but years in advance. like my colorado deer tag needs y 4 points on average to pull so that means that hunt comes around every 5 years and so on.
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #56
Randy
Pope & Young
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Centerville
Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County
Default

Dang I just got home from elk hunting and yall are already talking about next year..
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #57
tommyp
Eight Point
 
tommyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: public land - western states
Default

gotta stay on top... it takes forever to get here and its gone in a blink. heck when Idaho was really hot you had to be on board december 1st, cause primo tags were gone by noon, except limited enties.
tommyp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #58
jbird77
Ten Point
 
jbird77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mont Belvieu, TX
Hunt In: The strangest places
Default

Thanks for the info guys
jbird77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #59
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Dang I just got home from elk hunting and yall are already talking about next year..
If you want to hunt some of the best units, you have to think a decade or more out! As I'm typing that, I'm wondering why anybody would be so crazy. But then I look at my hunting pics and then I remember.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #60
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point
 
ELKAHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edgewood TX.
Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Tom Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Dang I just got home from elk hunting and yall are already talking about next year..
Heck! I start talking about it and planning for it on the way home from it!

It's a sickness that I wish on nobody And at the same time everybody
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #61
Kokanee
Six Point
 
Kokanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington!
Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina
Default

Here are two bruisers taken the week before we arrived in camp this year by family of my buddy. These guys are true elk maniacs!
Attached Images
  
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #62
Oletrapper
Nubbin' Buck
 
Oletrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Kentucky
Hunt In: All over
Default So much to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving.

I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We here in Kentucky have lots to be thankful for. Many thanks to those who have helped our QU Chapter make our Bull Elk Tag raffle a great success. To all the states which helped make our herd what it is today. Over 12,000 and growing. We have come a long way since 1997. Many thanks to all.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
thekysportsman@hughes.net

PS: There are still tickets available but you need to hurry. Please email me to reserve.
Oletrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #63
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Awesome news, didn't know you guys had hit 12,000 animals yet. Cool deal. Would be GREAT to hear bugles all up and down the eastern side of the country and elk back into the lands they used to roam out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletrapper View Post
I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We here in Kentucky have lots to be thankful for. Many thanks to those who have helped our QU Chapter make our Bull Elk Tag raffle a great success. To all the states which helped make our herd what it is today. Over 12,000 and growing. We have come a long way since 1997. Many thanks to all.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
thekysportsman@hughes.net

PS: There are still tickets available but you need to hurry. Please email me to reserve.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #64
Chris Martin
Six Point
 
Chris Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central TX
Default

I'm really anxious to get after them next year after not being able to go this fall.

I'll do my normal Apps throughout this next year, although I'm still not sure if I'll apply in NM anymore. AZ, CO, NV, UT, WY are always on the list, some just accumulating points, others I know I can draw this year but may hold out for better areas or the people I party with may not be able to make it.

If not successful in the draws I'll probably go OTC Co or Idaho elk, or Alaska Caribou. Also seriously considering Kodiak deer next November or AZ Couse.

Gear- I've got all that covered and then some. May upgrade boots as my danner full curl's have seen way too many miles. My friends are loving their new Kuiu gear, may half to get a set of their clothes after I hear the reviews after all the hunts are over. Everyone says the attack pants are a must.

Preparation:
It usually takes drawing a tag, buying a plane ticket or just committing to a hunt to get me really motivated. I do plan on watching my diet and getting back to my pre-Dad weight this Spring.

Tommyp,

Thanks for the heads up on Montana allowing the points only option. I'm definitely going to look into that.
Chris Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #65
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Following along.

We hunt a private ranch in NM.....LO tags, DIY, nice place to stay, have run of the place for a week in Sept. Don't know if the landowners are gonna keep offering hunts next year....so I may be looking for other options next year for 3 hunters.

I've been compiling a backup plan options for a few years now if our sweet NM hunt ever came to an end. Most likely CO.....maybe NM, but it will be DIY. We will see what happens to the place we hunt now.

As far as conditioning goes...I don't take it to extremes. As long as you are not overweight and can walk several miles a day with gear on....you are good to go.

Like Elkaholic said...it is an addicting obsession. I was thinking about our next elk hunt driving home from this years hunt. Nothing like it....its the most fun you can have standing up!!

Last edited by unclefish; 11-22-2011 at 03:25 PM..
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #66
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Hunting in NM and bivy hunting at 11,000 in CO are two different things indeed. Different strokes for different folks. I hunted the Gila a couple times before I hunted the high country of Colorado, had a lot more respect for the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Following along.

We hunt a private ranch in NM.....LO tags, DIY, nice place to stay, have run of the place for a week in Sept. Don't know if the landowners are gonna keep offering hunts next year....so I may be looking for other options next year for 3 hunters.

I've been compiling a backup plan options for a few years now if our sweet NM hunt ever came to an end. Most likely CO.....maybe NM, but it will be DIY. We will see what happens to the place we hunt now.

As far as conditioning goes...I don't take it to extremes. As long as you are not overweight and can walk several miles a day with gear on....you are good to go.

Like Elkaholic said...it is an addicting obsession. I was thinking about our next elk hunt driving home from this years hunt. Nothing like it....its the most fun you can have standing up!!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #67
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Hunting in NM and bivy hunting at 11,000 in CO are two different things indeed. Different strokes for different folks. I hunted the Gila a couple times before I hunted the high country of Colorado, had a lot more respect for the mountains.
Very true.....we hunt at 7,500 in NM....but I don't plan on hunting @ 11K feet in CO either!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #68
Gerald G
Ten Point
 
Gerald G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winona, Mississippi
Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Here are two bruisers taken the week before we arrived in camp this year by family of my buddy. These guys are true elk maniacs!
You can really tell they are family, they look just alike!



There is nothing better than the mountains in Sept. chasing elk! I`m always thinking on the trip home, What will I do next year? Am I going back to the same spot I just left? What am I going to do different?
You never quit learning about the unit you are hunting. It gets better the more times you hunt the same unit. Finding spots that you never see other hunters, where you`re seeing elk, what they are doing and feeding in the mornings and evenings.
We hunted around Rifle, Co. again this year but different unit from the last two years, less people, more elk but a lot more rugged terrain.
There is really nothing you can do down here at low elevation to prepare yourself for the high altitude. Being in good shape helps but the best thing, if you can do it, is get there a couple of days before your hunt and do a "little" hiking and scouting. Don`t over-do it on the first couple of days, that can really wear you out before the hunt starts and it takes a lot longer to recover.
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #69
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Was playing online looking at some training articles. Some folks are training in gas masks to simulate the lower 02 levels at altitude. Looks like it is the new thing to do with all the MMA fighters. I get enough funny looks running with a pack on, this would make me look like I was prepping for WW3 or something. ha ha ha
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #70
Kokanee
Six Point
 
Kokanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington!
Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald G View Post
You can really tell they are family, they look just alike!



There is nothing better than the mountains in Sept. chasing elk! I`m always thinking on the trip home, What will I do next year? Am I going back to the same spot I just left? What am I going to do different?
You never quit learning about the unit you are hunting. It gets better the more times you hunt the same unit. Finding spots that you never see other hunters, where you`re seeing elk, what they are doing and feeding in the mornings and evenings.
We hunted around Rifle, Co. again this year but different unit from the last two years, less people, more elk but a lot more rugged terrain.
There is really nothing you can do down here at low elevation to prepare yourself for the high altitude. Being in good shape helps but the best thing, if you can do it, is get there a couple of days before your hunt and do a "little" hiking and scouting. Don`t over-do it on the first couple of days, that can really wear you out before the hunt starts and it takes a lot longer to recover.
They take after their mom's side of the family!

This trip was my first that lasted more than two days in the up-zone before having to race back to Texas for work Monday. I am used to a regimen of Ibuprophin stacked with an Acetaminophen chaser every two hours to counteract the altitude change from 300' to 11,000'+ headaches, but after two days in and good sleep at night I was fine. There really is no way to train for the altitude that I have found aside from a hyperbolic chamber or blood doping! The key is to train your recovery from Anabolic Threshold (AT), meaning getting to max heart rate and being able to dial it down enough to drop your heart rate and exersion to a manageable level which allows you to maintain activity without dropping to the dirt, or resting at every bush constantly. I think that if I expect to get the type of hunt in that I want, I will have to get my buddy in on the training regimen as he has "ahem", a little more insulation than I do!
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #71
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

If you draw OTC in CO, how do you determine what Unit you'll be in?
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #72
Kokanee
Six Point
 
Kokanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington!
Hunt In: Colorado, Washington, Alberta, South Carolina
Default

Over the Counter (OTC) is not a drawn hunt. It is a purchased tag for public units. You buy the tag, and hunt in a public unit of your choosing from the available public units.

It's like a combination of your general license and the APH license here in texas, for a specific species, and/or gender of said species.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #73
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Not sure why I said "draw". Wasn't sure how they determined where you hunted and wasn't aware that you could pick. Thanks for the info.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #74
Txnrog
Ten Point
 
Txnrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver, Co
Hunt In: Real Co, Tx & Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
What is the best call for some with a very small mouth and a very very strong gag reflex? I carried mine in my mouth for a week before my last hunt and still gag every time.
You can use the promos sonic domes closer to the front of your mouth, and it helps. You'll need to practice a bit cause it's more likely to squeal than further back.
Txnrog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #75
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

What causes this coloration on the legs?

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #76
Oletrapper
Nubbin' Buck
 
Oletrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Kentucky
Hunt In: All over
Default Thanks for the email

Thanks for the email John, Your information is on its way.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
thekysportsman@hughes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletrapper View Post
I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We here in Kentucky have lots to be thankful for. Many thanks to those who have helped our QU Chapter make our Bull Elk Tag raffle a great success. To all the states which helped make our herd what it is today. Over 12,000 and growing. We have come a long way since 1997. Many thanks to all.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
thekysportsman@hughes.net

PS: There are still tickets available but you need to hurry. Please email me to reserve.
Oletrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #77
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
Not sure why I said "draw". Wasn't sure how they determined where you hunted and wasn't aware that you could pick. Thanks for the info.
I'm no expert, but if you go to the Colorado website they have a big map of all the OTC vs limited draw units. LOTS of country to hunt with those general tags, can buy cow or either sex tags, with either sex being more expensive.

If you are starting from scratch on areas, first think about what kind of hunting you would best enjoy. Stay at a hotel, haul a camper, spike camping, four wheelers, or bivy style hunting??? Once you figure that out and what kind of shape you are in then you can decide what kind of country you want to hunt.

Lots of BIG elk killed on OTC units every year, both in high country wilderness units and low land sage country. Just depends on what you envision when you think of elk hunting. Decide what you would like to do and then maybe we can help you with some unit suggestions.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #78
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Ttt
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #79
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Sitting here going thru all the sales and thought I would post a gear list for a Sept Backcountry Elk Hunt. Winter means picking up gear at incredible discounts. Don't wait til next summer to buy your gear as you will pay retail or close to it.

1. High Quality Gortex boots. I have 4 pair but my favorite is the Lowa Tibet...Got mine for just a hair over $200 from Shoebuy.com. Wait for a 25% off and new purchases get an additional 10%. Kenetrek, Asolo are some others.
2. Socks- Good boots are nothing without good merino wool socks. I also use a liner sock. The trick to avoid blisters is to wick the sweat from your skin.
3. Clothes...I got Sitka Ascent pants and Core Zip-Ts last year off camofire.com for half off. Russell and Core 4 are good as well!
4. Vest- I got a vest a couple years ago and it is one of my favorite garments. It's great in the mornings and when you stop. It keeps your core warm without the extra bulk and weight of a jacket. I use a Sitka Celsius.
5. Tent- High quality 3 season 2-person with weight around 4-5 pounds with the ground mat. For you tall guys watch out on length. I am 6'4" and the regular tents were too short. What happens is either you feet or head touch the sides and soak up the condensation and you sleeping bag gets wet. I got a Sierra Designs Vapor light 2 XL which is 93" long.
6. Sleep System- High quality bag and pad. I use synthetic bags because I am afraid of down getting wet and loosing it's insulation properties. Down is lighter and packs smaller though. I use the Big Agnes system which integrates the pad and bag. try to keep your system under 5 pounds if possible.
7. Pack- For extended length hunts (5+ days)you need about a 4500 cu inch bag. You also need to make sure your pack can handle enough weight to haul Elk meat out as well. Badlands, Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, and Kifaru are some top hunt pack manufacturers. Also don't overlook real hiking packs like Gregory. Packs are a great thing to find in classifieds so check them.
8. Rain Gear- Most hunts considered here will just encounter brief showers so I don't feel the ultra high end stuff is worth the cost to me now. I use Marmot Precip which does very good. No it's not camo but trust me the Elk don't care. Sitka Stormfront and Kuiu Chugah are the best. Cabelas makes very good stuff as well. You want breathable stuff as pvc stuff will get you almost as wet from sweat while moving. Light and packable is what you should be going for.
9- Cook System- All I have ever used is a Jetboil type stove. I like it a lot.

Also note that if you are thinking of getting a new bow and skimping on the above gear I would seriously reconsider!

Hope others chime in on stuff I missed.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #80
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Well done Dr Thornton!!! Great info here guys, make your wish list off of his suggestions! I too have found the vest to be about the most versatile piece of clothing ever for backpack hunting. Really good while you are humping up the hills as well.

What kind of optics does everyone use??? Brand, magnification, etc and WHY you use your set up.

PS Shoebuy is golden on boots, great info!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #81
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

So my main question is this: what about us first timers that have no one crazy enough or no one with experience to go with us? Am I doomed to an outfitter?

I want this hunt bad. Should I start with an easier species to get familiar with the area?

Lastly, I'm a teacher, and trying to get time off during the beginning of the year, specifically September, is difficult. Are there any other options as far as times of the season to hunt?
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #82
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
So my main question is this: what about us first timers that have no one crazy enough or no one with experience to go with us? Am I doomed to an outfitter?

I want this hunt bad. Should I start with an easier species to get familiar with the area?

Lastly, I'm a teacher, and trying to get time off during the beginning of the year, specifically September, is difficult. Are there any other options as far as times of the season to hunt?
Heck NO!!! IF you really want to hunt elk, you will. How do you want to hunt? Weapon? Terrain?

I would suggest a southern Colorado hunt, just because it would allow you to spend less time traveling. Don't worry about the perfect unit or the perfect time, just go...you will be hooked.

I know that in Colorado you have to draw a deer tag, but if you check the books, you can find a unit with better chances of getting drawn. An August mule deer hunt would help you learn a unit for sure.

Shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help. I'm no expert though.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #83
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
So my main question is this: what about us first timers that have no one crazy enough or no one with experience to go with us? Am I doomed to an outfitter?

I want this hunt bad. Should I start with an easier species to get familiar with the area?

Lastly, I'm a teacher, and trying to get time off during the beginning of the year, specifically September, is difficult. Are there any other options as far as times of the season to hunt?
2012 Colorado OTC archery season starts August 25th, is that too late?
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #84
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Good point on optics TWP. After I wrote my last post I thought I should have added an optics bullet as well. I use a brand called Theron Optics. In my opinion they are the best value in optics around. I got a pair of 10x42 ED glass for a little over $300 and I love them. No they are not as good as the big 3(Zeiss, Leica or Swaro) but for the money I am very impressed! Now as far as Elk hunting it is my opinion you don't need 10x42s to hunt Elk in timber but I carried mine this year and they did fine. I would say most western hunters carry 8x42 or 10x42 glass. A brand called Zen Ray was 2nd on my list and is more readily available. If you've got the coin cameralandny.com has the best deals on high end optics...check out their demos prices.

Another point to add is a good Mapping GPS. I use mine extensively. Stick with Garmin as you can get free TOPOs online pretty easy. I have a Garmin Vista hCX. Would like to upgrade to a Garmin Oregon 450 which is a touch screen but not tops on my gear list this year.

My KUIU Icon 6000 was waiting when I got back from deer hunting. Have not done anything with it yet except take it out of the box but man is it light! They say it'll handle 80 pounds comfortably...We'll see.

marshrat...For a 1st timer you are not doomed. There are thousands of guys that go west every year on their own and a lot that prefer it that way. I would say that it is my preference to hunt Elk with at least 2 guys.

1. Because it works better to have a caller in back of you
2. You will need help getting 200#s of meat plus a head off the mountain should you be successful.

I did go outfitted on my first Elk hunt(unsucessful) but I learned a lot but don't feel like it is your only option. There is a ton of info online and I suggest you visit other forums that focus more on western hunting. Bowsite.com, archerytalk.com and onyourownadnetures.com are ones I frequent.

Your timing is gonna be your biggest issue. Not being able to go in Sept when the Elk rut is going on. It is the most magical hunting experience I have encountered. If Sept and early Oct are out you need to focus on timed hunts when you can go. States have late hunts (nov-dec)which may coincide with school but those hunts are spot and stalk and intercept type hunts.

For pre-school hunts check out NM archery antelope and NV archery Mule deer. My wife is a teacher and I can get away for those hunts pretty easy before school starts.

Good luck and PM me with any questions you have I would be happy to help.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #85
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Sweet, I will check out the Theron brand. The Colorado unit I have been hunting is dark timber anyway, I hauled binos with me and just about NEVER used them. Spotting scope would be a complete waste of time.

Those dang KUIU Outlet prices are tempting me, BIG TIME right now. Called and talked to Jason for a while a couple months back about a business opportunity, and we got off on the Icon. He is pretty excited about it. Please give us a review when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
Good point on optics TWP. After I wrote my last post I thought I should have added an optics bullet as well. I use a brand called Theron Optics. In my opinion they are the best value in optics around. I got a pair of 10x42 ED glass for a little over $300 and I love them. No they are not as good as the big 3(Zeiss, Leica or Swaro) but for the money I am very impressed! Now as far as Elk hunting it is my opinion you don't need 10x42s to hunt Elk in timber but I carried mine this year and they did fine. I would say most western hunters carry 8x42 or 10x42 glass. A brand called Zen Ray was 2nd on my list and is more readily available. If you've got the coin cameralandny.com has the best deals on high end optics...check out their demos prices.

Another point to add is a good Mapping GPS. I use mine extensively. Stick with Garmin as you can get free TOPOs online pretty easy. I have a Garmin Vista hCX. Would like to upgrade to a Garmin Oregon 450 which is a touch screen but not tops on my gear list this year.

My KUIU Icon 6000 was waiting when I got back from deer hunting. Have not done anything with it yet except take it out of the box but man is it light! They say it'll handle 80 pounds comfortably...We'll see.

marshrat...For a 1st timer you are not doomed. There are thousands of guys that go west every year on their own and a lot that prefer it that way. I would say that it is my preference to hunt Elk with at least 2 guys.

1. Because it works better to have a caller in back of you
2. You will need help getting 200#s of meat plus a head off the mountain should you be successful.

I did go outfitted on my first Elk hunt(unsucessful) but I learned a lot but don't feel like it is your only option. There is a ton of info online and I suggest you visit other forums that focus more on western hunting. Bowsite.com, archerytalk.com and onyourownadnetures.com are ones I frequent.

Your timing is gonna be your biggest issue. Not being able to go in Sept when the Elk rut is going on. It is the most magical hunting experience I have encountered. If Sept and early Oct are out you need to focus on timed hunts when you can go. States have late hunts (nov-dec)which may coincide with school but those hunts are spot and stalk and intercept type hunts.

For pre-school hunts check out NM archery antelope and NV archery Mule deer. My wife is a teacher and I can get away for those hunts pretty easy before school starts.

Good luck and PM me with any questions you have I would be happy to help.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #86
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post

marshrat...For a 1st timer you are not doomed. There are thousands of guys that go west every year on their own and a lot that prefer it that way. I would say that it is my preference to hunt Elk with at least 2 guys.

1. Because it works better to have a caller in back of you
2. You will need help getting 200#s of meat plus a head off the mountain should you be successful.

I did go outfitted on my first Elk hunt(unsucessful) but I learned a lot but don't feel like it is your only option. There is a ton of info online and I suggest you visit other forums that focus more on western hunting. Bowsite.com, archerytalk.com and onyourownadnetures.com are ones I frequent.

Your timing is gonna be your biggest issue. Not being able to go in Sept when the Elk rut is going on. It is the most magical hunting experience I have encountered. If Sept and early Oct are out you need to focus on timed hunts when you can go. States have late hunts (nov-dec)which may coincide with school but those hunts are spot and stalk and intercept type hunts.

For pre-school hunts check out NM archery antelope and NV archery Mule deer. My wife is a teacher and I can get away for those hunts pretty easy before school starts.

Good luck and PM me with any questions you have I would be happy to help.
In OK, we start school around August 11th. It is early. maybe the beginning of October, But I just Don't see how that can come about. What would be a good amount of time to ask off? how long should I hunt? I would prefer archery over rifle.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #87
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
In OK, we start school around August 11th. It is early. maybe the beginning of October, But I just Don't see how that can come about. What would be a good amount of time to ask off? how long should I hunt? I would prefer archery over rifle.
You might just get your feet wet with a rifle hunt. In NM the rifle hunts typicaly last five days starting at first light on a Saturday.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #88
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
You might just get your feet wet with a rifle hunt. In NM the rifle hunts typicaly last five days starting at first light on a Saturday.
I was thinking about doing a rifle hunt next November for elk rather than a bow hunt. Unless a bow hunt is doable outside of the rut and in November on my Thanksgiving break. If I have to go the rifle route for November, is a CO OTC tag still available or worth going at that time?
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #89
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
1. High Quality Gortex boots. I have 4 pair but my favorite is the Lowa Tibet...Got mine for just a hair over $200 from Shoebuy.com. Wait for a 25% off and new purchases get an additional 10%. Kenetrek, Asolo are some others.
I use a pair of LOWA hunter extremes in colder weather. Asolo sassalongs for warmer weather. I do have the tendency to wear the sassalongs as an everyday shoe as the are so dang comfortable. To get in shape and prep for long hikes in the summer I will hike with lowa renegades because they are lightweight and are good in the hotter weather.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #90
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

or is there another state that I should look into for an OTC tag or drawing for that Thanksgiving time frame?
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #91
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
or is there another state that I should look into for an OTC tag or drawing for that Thanksgiving time frame?
If you were just looking for a meat hunt there are some antlerless hunts going on in NM. They are rifle hunts. My niece got a cow this AM.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #92
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default Way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
If you were just looking for a meat hunt there are some antlerless hunts going on in NM. They are rifle hunts. My niece got a cow this AM.
Congrats to the little huntress! Do you have pics?
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #93
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Another 350+ yard shot with the 257 ai. Hanging by 10:00 am. She is ready for the bulls.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #94
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Wow!!! Way to go!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #95
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

Awesome
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #96
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

My brothers late season elk archery hunt starts this Sat. That will be a tough hunt.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #97
marshrat
Ten Point
 
marshrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 74062
Hunt In: Payne County, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
My brothers late season elk archery hunt starts this Sat. That will be a tough hunt.
Why specifically will it be "tough," and is this also in NM? I am getting pumped for next year, and I haven't even applied for a tag.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #98
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
Why specifically will it be "tough," and is this also in NM? I am getting pumped for next year, and I haven't even applied for a tag.
Here in NM the Game and Fish release some late season archery elk tags for a few units. After all the draws are complete. First come first served basis. The odds are very low.

Unit 34 gets 200 tags. Last season 14 bulls were taken out of those 200 tags.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #99
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default



Ranged 386 yards. 115 grain barnes tsx. Elk ran 10 yards and dropped.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #100
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

marshrat...the reason late season hunts are tough with a bow are the Elk are not very vocal compared to the Sept/Oct rut period. For me, bugling bulls during Sept is what makes Elk hunting so exciting.

Unpacked my ICON this afternoon and adjusted the Torso length. I have a long torso 21.5" so pack fit can be very tough but I actually had to bring this back in to less than max. Also note that the high setting of the load stabalizers allows for a good angle for those heavy loads. Still have not put any weight in it yet. Not concerned about the volume just how it carries.

For any tall guys looking for a good day pack that can handle Elk Quarter size weights check out the Badlands 2200. I got one last year. Hauled 2x50+ pound loads of meat out(1 with gear) this year with it and it never even blinked. Could also do a few nights with it if I had to as it is a batwing style. For shorter guys I have heard the Eberlestock X2 is quite good for the money on a day pack.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com