No announcement yet.

Texas Deer Genetics & Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a study proving there really isn’t much difference in genetics from one place or another .

Age and nutrition.

Improve the nutrition equal to that of the big “ genetic “ area and after 3 years the average mature antler size was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      All I can say is, us that hunt Newton County public land(Archery only) saw the improvement and the genetic capability that county has.
      Swamp donkey or two round there

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
        Man I agree but....
        If it becomes a fiscal decision, I would argue there are many more rifle hunters than bow hunters, just not on this forum, albeit a lot of the bow hunters, rifle hunt as well, from my experience ....
        So fiscally, it would make since to please the rifle hunters, if my assessment is correct.[emoji51]

I totally agree with that statement. Way more rifle hunters than bow hunters. That’s why doing away with it entirely isn’t the best idea. However limiting it to a week, maybe two separate weeks like another recently posted would cut down harvest numbers on bucks. I think going from essentially a two month rifle season to a two week rifle season would put more people pressuring deer at one time, and may actually help age structures from guys taking out a buck in December just to get some meat. Which, I have nothing wrong with someone doing. I’ve done it before. I think my biggest thing is, Texas could have way better deer all around. The number of people that have big low fence deer walking around all have the same thing in common, and that’s old deer. And I get not everyone wants to “manage for trophy bucks” but I’ve never met someone that pays for a deer lease to shoot does every year.

Comment

Facts the more 5.5 and older age class bucks you have on your lease the more 130” plus bucks your going to have ! But all in all the less mouths you have to feed the chance for even a bigger size buck at 5.5 goes up tremendously. So to reduce numbers kill your does first not your 3.5 year old 8pt

Comment

I do agree with the OP. Letting the deer �� get to 4Yrs old ( see what I did here I didn’t say 4.5) would be the biggest benefit to producing larger bodied deer and larger racks.

Comment

Age is the number one ingredient. Sure other things help, but age has and always will be the most important thing when growing big deer.

Comment

Wanted to bring this to the top again. Season is rapidly approaching! YBLM - Young Buck Lives Matter!

Comment

Let them get old fellas!
                  Last edited by aggieman08; 09-26-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Yup age is the number one factor. And there just getting good at 5, let them get to 7-8 see what happens.

Comment

I like big old gnarly 180” bucks.....

Comment

Shortening rifle season to 2-3 weeks and not letting it start till after Thanksgiving would give a huge boost in buck age structure. This is only my opinion, but I would imagine most will concur. Look at other states that are known for BIG whitetail and look at their seasons. That should be all one needs to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                          Shortening rifle season to 2-3 weeks and not letting it start till after Thanksgiving would give a huge boost in buck age structure. This is only my opinion, but I would imagine most will concur. Look at other states that are known for BIG whitetail and look at their seasons. That should be all one needs to see.
                          That would be fine by me. Serious people get to hunt plenty long anyway under MLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                            That would be fine by me. Serious people get to hunt plenty long anyway under MLD.
                            I’ve been a huge advocate of a shorter, later rifle season for a while. And it’s for no other reason than giving more deer a chance to get older. If it were to happen, I’m sure there would be a huge stink from the general hunting public. Probably the same as when AR was introduced. BUT, now everyone is praising AR and how it’s improved their deer herd. I would imagine the same thing would happen here.

Comment

I’ve been a huge advocate of a shorter, later rifle season for a while. And it’s for no other reason than giving more deer a chance to get older. If it were to happen, I’m sure there would be a huge stink from the general hunting public. Probably the same as when AR was introduced. BUT, now everyone is praising AR and how it’s improved their deer herd. I would imagine the same thing would happen here.
                              Agree! Some can’t see the greater good. I just can’t get excited about hunting young bucks.

Comment

I agree. But after the freeze burns the browse back deer get very killable. Hunting the late mld seasons has shown me that. Beat up bucks from the rut can become very dependent on any free meal they can find.

In the end the state will likely lose money and support from the general public at first but when the big old deer start showing up in shot out places landowners will be able to charge more and have less hunters. Hopefully. Maybe.

Just a thought....

Comment

Working...
                                X