Electrical conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical conundrum

Dryer stopped heating a while back. Would spin but not heat. Figured element was bad. It was due to be replaced so we bought a new one. It will not do anything. I have power to both hots at the plug....until i plug in the dryer. Then i show no power on one side. I swapped the breaker and it didnt change anything. Headed to town to get a different outlet.

Ideas?

Change receptacle/ check to make sure all terminations are tight.

Comment

Did you check connections at the outlet?
      So where were you checking for power when you discovered you dropped a leg after dryer was plugged in?
      At the dryer?
      If so could be cord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I checked it all the way to the line coming into rear of outlet. Nada when plugged in. I cant make sense of how thats possible.

Comment

Electrical conundrum

Hmm
          Everything else 220 in the house working properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
            Change receptacle/ check to make sure all terminations are tight.
            THIS - same thing happened to me. After much consternation I finally figured the receptacle wasn't making contct with one lug from the cord. Receptacle checked out with a volt meter but didn't make contact with the cord lug and thus I only had one leg of power. Replaced the faulty receptacle and I was back in business.
            Last edited by StrayDog; 12-06-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Only other problem is we have two ac units. One shares power from that breaker. Ac stopped cooling properly somewhere around the same time that the dryer quit. Seems like the unit was still running though so im not sure they are related.

Comment

New receptacle in hand and headed home. Will try that first.

Comment

This happened to me and it was the receptacle.. Lost a leg going through the plug. Replaced it and all was good after that. Easy to check with a volt meter. Check both hot legs, should have 220 across them. Check each hot to ground and should have 110. If you don't have that on both sides of the plug, it's the plug. You might have to disconnect to verify on the back side.

Comment

Replaced the outlet and it is still the same. I cant wrap my head around how i can have power coming into outlet when its not plugged in, an no power when it is.

Comment

Had same issue it was a newer dryer. Board was fried

Comment

Originally posted by Dspivey View Post
                        Had same issue it was a newer dryer. Board was fried
                        The exact problem?

Comment

Where are you measuring power when the dryer is plugged in?

Comment

Behind the wall outlet. The line coming in.

Comment

Can you check voltage at the breaker while the dryer is plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                              X