No announcement yet.

Gus Engeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a difficult hunt. Not many deer were seen. We didn't see any, only a few hogs. They were just not moving, sign all around, but they were just not cooperating!.

Comment

How are the roads? Sounds like rain is in the area. The last time I was there, roads were closed.

Comment

Main road was ok. The road to some compartments may be tricky with some rain, but you can access most compartments from main road, just little walking if you want to stop toward the back...

Comment

Rain will help most of the sandy roads depending on amount

Comment

Just got back from Gus,
            we saw 7 bucks
            3 hogs
            8 does
            3 otters
            12 turkeys
            Deer moved for us.
            only saw 1 spike we could shoot, and a legal buck that wouldn't stop for a shot.
            our group did shoot a hog.
            One thing about Gus, these deer are always moving, like fast mall walkers.
            they don't mosey along at all. and they dont stop for corn or bait.
            Beautiful place to hunt I'll say that,
            wish it would have been 20°-30° cooler though.

Comment

What unit # were you on? Going up there on the 8th.

Comment

I got back from Gus Engeling from the doe / spike hunt. I didn't shoot anything. Saw one young 6 point, a young 8 point and nice 3 yr old 8 point with wide spread, swollen neck. There are hogs everywhere. Unfortunately, most movement is at night. I set up trail cams and was surprised how many coyotes I saw. Cams caught hogs, deer and coyotes. Could of shot doe, but looked young. The nice 8 point was crossing an open field and got within 50 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                  I set up trail cams and was surprised how many coyotes I saw.
                  I could've filled the back of a truck with dead yotes on hunts I've been to there if the biolgist would allow it but they were limits for some reason My opinion, red tap on some of these TPWD hunts can be sickening.
                  Last edited by bossbowman; 11-11-2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    I could've filled the back of a truck with dead yotes on hunts I've been to there if the biolgist would allow it but they were limits for some reason My opinion, red tap on some of these TPWD hunts can be sickening.
                    Biologist actually wanted us to shoot them if we saw them this time. I just saw them on the cam.

Comment

Anyone get a final count on the # off deer taken off Gus this year?, Listening to the fishing and outdoors radio show this morning on KRLD sounds like they may still be doing deer hunts there his year, are this additional hunts the WMA doesn't publicize much, can't find them listed anywhere.

Comment

Anyone get a final count on the # off deer taken off Gus this year?, Listening to the fishing and outdoors radio show this morning on KRLD sounds like they may still be doing deer hunts there his year, are this additional hunts the WMA doesn't publicize much, can't find them listed anywhere.

19 deer total. Deer hunts are over.

Comment

They told us to shoot them when I was there last year....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                            They told us to shoot them when I was there last year....

Good to hear they've since changed that, back then they wouldn't let you bait for deer either.

Comment

Good to hear they've since changed that, back then they wouldn't let you bait for deer either.
                              [emoji106] yeah you can bait now too.
                              Engeling is a nice place, wish there were more deer but you can't beat a $130 4 day hunt!

Comment

Working...
                              X