Stock ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock ponds

I’ll be having a pond dug in the next month. Would love to see some pics of yals for ideas.

Also, do yal think 8-10 feet is deep enough? Will stock with bass and cattle will use it.

I’m super excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go as deep as you can...

Comment

Atleast 10' deep and a 100'x100' will be a great pond that will last along time.

Comment

Where is being dug? Do you have soil that will hold water? How will it be filled? Any way of keeping it from going dry in a drought?

Comment

Old pics. Dont have anything recent. Have grass around most of it now. All sand so it leaks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
            Where is being dug? Do you have soil that will hold water? How will it be filled? Any way of keeping it from going dry in a drought?

I’m in clay, gonna dig down to the last good clay which around me seems to be around 8-9 foot before it starts getting sandy

Comment

Don't break the seal, lol

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
              I’m in clay, gonna dig down to the last good clay which around me seems to be around 8-9 foot before it starts getting sandy

Good luck! I'd make it as big as your budget will allow for and put some structure on the bottom if you plan to put fish in it...

Comment

Yes sir! Would also like to see some dock designs if you have them

Comment

I have seen tank diggers put the clay to the side and dig deeper past the clay and backfill with the clay to hold water.

Comment

Stock ponds

8'-10' should be deep enough. Mine is right about 9' deep and it is thriving with bass, channel catfish, and perch, not to mention the entire food chain of minnows.
                    Here's a picture of the floating 10'x12' dock and 4'x12' floating walkway I built for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                      8'-10' should be deep enough. Mine is right about 9' deep and it is thriving with bass, channel catfish, and perch, not to mention the entire food chain of minnows.
                      Here's a picture of the floating 10'x12' dock and 4'x12' floating walkway I built for it.

Thanks!

Comment

If fishing is one of the goals I would consult a biologist with a stocking plan, structure, shape of the bottom, etc. They do a lot more than dig a bowl these days. At the very least go to the pond boss forums and do some reading.

Comment

Here is a thread to a pond I had built by the house. 10 foot should be deep enough, but would go 12 if you can.

Comment

IMO, go as deep as you can.
                            I'm going 10'-30' on my 2 1/2 ac pond. I'm currently rehabbing mine and we're pulling out 4'+ of sludge and we haven't even made it to the dam yet. I can't load the pic's of my pond but, could send what I have. Our pond makes kind of a U-shape with a peninsula, I like having shape other than just a typical round pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                              IMO, go as deep as you can.
                              I'm going 10'-30' on my 2 1/2 ac pond. I'm currently rehabbing mine and we're pulling out 4'+ of sludge and we haven't even made it to the dam yet. I can't load the pic's of my pond but, could send what I have. Our pond makes kind of a U-shape with a peninsula, I like having shape other than just a typical round pond.

My plan is wanting to have some fingers opposite the **** and a long slough. Going to submerge cover and see if i can put humps in areas. The most important thing to me is having some structure, the last thing i want is just a bowl pond.

Will definitely take into account young as deep as the budget allows.

Comment

Working...
                              X