Mechanical Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Broadheads

I have an elite synergy with a 70lbs limbs but a 27" draw. I'm new to bows and bow hunting and want to use a mechanical broad head to hunt with. My buddy keeps telling me that with my draw length my bow doesn't have enough power for the broad head to open up. Is he right about this or am I correct in assuming he's an idiot talking out of his a**? He does that a lot. What mech broad head and arrow combination should I use for hunting deer and hogs?

CX 350 Maxima Hunters with Rage BH's. or whatever BH fly's the best out of your bow.

Comment

Don't know why they wouldn't open... That's what they're designed to do
      You either love em or ya hate em... He must hate em

Comment

I shoot 26.5" draw at 70lbs and I kill deer and hogs with mechs! I shoot the grim reaper and the rage. I will admit that I prefer to use fixed heads on big hogs. Slick tricks and stingers.

Comment

I don't want to screw with BH's too much because this whole "tuning" thing defies me. You "try" to get the broad heads and field points to hit as close together as you can? seriously? I'm a big gun guy and that sounds to me like you want your factory loads to hit as close to your match grade rounds as possible.....it doesn't make sense lol. I really want to go with mechanicals, they just sound more practical.

Comment

It's a steerage thing.
            As long as the vanes are steering the arrow you can shoot whatever BH you want (as long as you're spine is right)
            BT if your BH has more steerage than the vanes, you'll never get it to tune right.

Mechs make it very easy to let the vanes do their job.
            Nothing wrong with them as long as you use them on the proper game.
            And if a big animal does show up, I'd angle it in just in case!

Comment

"And if a big animal does show up, I'd angle it in just in case!" what do you mean by that?

Comment

Vortex makes some good heads and has been around longer than most BH companies out there, close to 30 years. Grim Reaper also makes good heads along with NAP and others. With the proper shot placement, broadside or quartering away you should have no problems. If you want to try some fixed heads that fly like darts you might want to lok at the Smoke Ramcat an 100 or 125 grain. No matter waht head you shoot, fixed, COC or mechanical, you may still need to tune your bow to get tehm to fly with your field points.

Comment

I switched to g5 t3 tekans about 6 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Shoot the grim reapers with at least a 400 grain arrow and you'll be fine. My cousin put a ram down within 10 yards with a 26" draw pulling 60# and a grim reaper head. Like said its all about shot placement.

Comment

Put me down as supporting the Grim Reaper.

Comment

Last year both bucks I shot were with a 27 inch Z7 at 60 with Reapers...I shoot cheaper heads on pigs like the 3 packs of NAP's I got at academy last week for $9.99!

Comment

I shoot a 27.5 inch z7xtreme @ 70 pounds, shot the t3 last year. I hit the offside shoulder twice on different bucks and still got complete pass throughs. I would put it up against any head on the market, Im sold

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem with that set up. Shoot the broadhead you have the most confidence in and the one your bow shoots best. Good luck and god bless.

Comment

Originally posted by sutherpride59 View Post
                              I don't want to screw with BH's too much because this whole "tuning" thing defies me. You "try" to get the broad heads and field points to hit as close together as you can? seriously? I'm a big gun guy and that sounds to me like you want your factory loads to hit as close to your match grade rounds as possible.....it doesn't make sense lol. I really want to go with mechanicals, they just sound more practical.
                              Youll get it. The analogy between bullets and arrows is night n day. I always much prefer new to the sport folks to used fixed till they get everything figured out. I would say what Mudslinger said about the Ramcat.

Comment

Working...
                              X