Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South-TX 10pnt (5 years with a Grand Finale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South-TX 10pnt (5 years with a Grand Finale)

This tale began 5 yrs ago when I happened to lay eyes on a stud of a 3yr 12pnt sporting a 10pnt frame with a kicker and split brow. We all watched him over the years and he was easily identifiable because of the big white rings around his eyes.
    At age 5, when he grew his largest rack, he was spotted late in the season with a open gash on his hind quarter. He was more than likely injured by another buck in a fight and he was in bad shape. We all hoped he would see age 6.
    At age 6, he was a mainframe 10 with a Muley forked G2 and a split brow once again. A decision was made because of his poor health and a dry year that he would get a pass. Well, as luck would have it, I was graced by his presence one morning in late December of 2009. He taunted me at 20yds for nearly 2 hours presenting me with every possible shot a bowhunter only dreams of. He was the biggest deer I ever had in my shooting lane and I took it as an accomplishment just to get that close to him and to be able to see him one more year as a fully mature stud. (1st 2 pics below)
    When this season rolled around, we highly anticipated spotting this buck out of the helicopter to confirm that our decision to pass him was the right one. He was not seen during the survey, but on Nov 6th, he appeared at his usual stomping grounds on TC. Much to our dismay, he had not put on any inches from last year. On the contrary, he had lost inches as a 7yr buck. Regardless, to my suprise, the guys all got together and decided that since I was the 1st person to ever see this deer as a 3yr old and since he taunted me as a 6yr, they would reserve him for me! As soon as I got the news I was headed to the ranch late friday night with my girlfriend Melissa.
    Saturday morning we knew exactly which blind to go to and we were settled in before 1st light. A little after daylight, Melissa tapped my leg. She could see horns from a different angle in the blind and sure enough a buck had come into the pen. It wasn't my buck, but a nice mature 11pnt. Not long after, she tapped my leg again and there was the buck I was after standing just outside my shooting lane. As I reached for my bow, the other 11pnt started towards him and ran him off. I knew it was going to get interesting. As we sat there highly anticipating my buck to come to my hand corn, he allowed the other buck to intimidate him enough to not force entry. Just like that, he had walked off into the brush. My heart sank
    About 45 minutes later, once the 11pnt had enough corn and wandered off, low and behold not 2 minutes later my buck came back! He had been waiting for his opportunity as had I. Just as you picture it, he finally came into my hand corn and just gave me a quarting too shot for about 20 minutes. I was breathing loudly and trying to control my buck fever but watching him didn't help either symptom. After what felt like an eternity, and Melissa filming with the last 5 minutes of battery life, he finally presented me with a 22yd quartering away shot. I slowly drew my DXT and settled my pin in line with his off shoulder and sent the my gold tip arrow armed with a G5 striker on it's way... In what felt like slow motion, I watched the arrow dissappear into his body and he ran off hurting. After a bad case of the shakes, Melissa and I replayed the video only to confirm that I had made a fatal shot. I cannot describe the feeling I had after what had just taken place!
    All the texters scattered throughout the ranch trying to get a play by play update the whole morning finally got the response they had been waiting for, "I smoked him!" (JerryG) immediately asked the question, "should I load up the Dogs?" After about 45 minutes JerryG and Junebug arrived to meet Melissa and I to start our track. JerryG was dissapointed when I told him no dogs needed after we had found my arrow painted red. After walking a consistent blood trail we walked up on my BIGGEST BOW BUCK not 40 yds from point of impact.
    I am so greatful for the opportunity to have shared this hunt with Melissa and to recover the deer with JerryG and Junebug. It is the crowning moment in my 5 short years of bowhunting and it is even more special that I harvested a deer that I watched grow up over the years. Thank you all for coming along for the ride and best of luck as the season progresses.

10pnt estimated score 145
    Attached Files

sweet deer. congrats

Comment

What a trophy! Congrats on the Monarch!

Comment

Awesome deer!! congrats!!!

Comment

nice oneee

Comment

Nice looking buck, glad you got the opportunity at him.....good group of guys you're hunting with.

Congratulations on your success!!!!!

Nice ldp's

Comment

Great deer, Congrats!!!

Comment

nice!!

Comment

WOW....... nice shot and deer, hes a definate stud.... good write up and photos too......

Comment

Beautiful deer, congrats

Comment

Nice !!!!

Comment

x2!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice Buck. Congrats.

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Beautiful Buck, Congrats.