welding equipment question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paintman View Post
    im a wire feed guy,cant stand stick welding,dang rods always getting stuck,i have a miller 210 and it has a great duty cycle and will weld up to 1/2 inch,as long as your inside its all beans
    I have 210 also welds great in shop on clean iron, not so good on rusty painted
    or cruddy iron or in any kind of wind. And as I stated the stinger lead is 15 feet.
    I only give my opinion being the man said he was familar with a stick welder, I
    have a Bobcat on my truck and I can pretty much weld anything anywhere with
    the right rod.

Comment

yeah I would like something I could weld with on rusty or painted iron, I am liking the 80T rods for sure the more I read about them.

Comment

If you were closer you could come by and play for a while, I have 5 welders . I weld on pretty much every thing small to very large ag / indus. equp. Even handles on rifle bolts.
        I thank you would be happy with something like a lincoln cracker box with the right rods
        u can build and repair allmost any thing.

Comment

Hunter i was just posting my 2 cents.wish i could use a stick but i dint possess that talent

Comment

Paintman sorry was not trying to bash you. I made mistake on my post I have a 212 Miller older not the digatal auto one. I agree it's a great little welder indoors on clean iron.
            Would be glad to teach you stick it's easy also rod size and temp make it work.
            I have burnt enough sticks to lay a bead from me to you. Thanks If I can help
            let me know.

Comment

A mig machine will weld dirty metal just fine if you use CO2 for a shielding gas instead of 75/25 that the welding supplies want to sell you. It's cheaper and lasts longer too. It makes the arc more aggressive and you get more penetration as well. If you get a mig, just remember that mig runs best with pushing and stick runs best pulling.

If you decide to get a stick machine then be sure to get an AC/DC. Most are just AC. With the DC, it will enable you to weld just about any thing. All the specialty rods are DC.

Comment

I think I may just go with a mig then I am always open to learning new skills for sure and the mig just seems like it may be easier as well.

Comment

Swing by your local Home Depot, they have a welder's hand book that is inexpensive and you can learn about and review all forms of welding $16. It covers all aspects of welding. Mig welding with gas or using flux core wire is easy to learn. If you can weld with a stick welder, then you can weld with a Mig. Miller and Lincoln are both great machines. I have both and they both work well. In choosing a wire welder, decide the thickest metal you will want to weld with it to help determine the amp range you need, the duty cycle, and if it has tapped or infinite adjustments. If this is a low cost venture, you might consider a the Lincoln 180HD at HD, it is inexpensive, (has tapped settings) comes with all the parts to run it with shielding gas or without to run flux core wire. It is at the low end of the market, but works well. I have one and use it often. You can also get it for a bit more money with infinite adjustments. I have several migs Miller and Lincoln and have them setup to run different setups (processes) depending on what I am welding. Last year I welded a bunch of drill stem pipe together for H frames for fences, using the Lincoln 180 with flux core wire off a generator in the field. This setup worked very well. You also can't go wrong with a miller 210. Ours is setup with a spool gun to weld aluminum. Just take your time and find the right machine for your needs.

Comment

I can teach you aluminum if your interested.
                    I just bought a Trailblazer 325 EFI.
                    Already had the 30a spoolgun to go with it

Comment

Run up for a few hours some day and I'll give you a quick lesson on mig welding. It's truly simple..

Comment

Mig is a lot faster and easier to use. A lot cleaner too if you use gas shielding. Its also a lot easier to tack parts together with as you don't have to flip down your hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                          Run up for a few hours some day and I'll give you a quick lesson on mig welding. It's truly simple..
                          would love to take you up on the offer Ol Thumper would be great... I'll pm you my number maybe we can get a time setup soon Sir.

Comment

MIT welding is the way to go I prefer miller or hobart over Lincoln welders. I seem to be able to lay a better bead with those 2. I suggest you go and get a hobart 190 it will serve you well and not break the bank. Also don't buy a welding cart those make great first projects.

Comment

Working...
                            X