Good Family Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Family Dog?

Don't know how I posted the other on in the classifieds! Try again!

My wife and I are wanting to get a good outside dog for our soon to be new home. We have a 2.5 year old boy, and we are wanting a good family dog he can grow up with. I like the GSPs and she likes golden retrievers but open to anything really. What seems to be a good dog that can take the Texas heat living out doors? I am also building a shop so it will always have plenty of shade. I know all dogs can be different, but generally speaking what is a good dog to play with kids and not tear up everything? Would most likely be a female.

Here you go

Comment

It's hard to beat a lab

Comment

My next will be a rescue. I just hope it has German working lines, being a family pet and all. ��

Comment

My best ones have been rescues from the local pound and a rescue that showed up to the ranch. One is Catahoula/hound, the other is Catahoula and ?? my 3rd is full blood hound. They all 3 are inside/outside and very good with kids.

Comment

I would strongly suggest a rescue dog. We got a JR mix about a year ago and he’s the best dog I’ve ever had.
            Attached Files

Comment

Golden Retriever, without a doubt for a family dog!!!

Comment

Remember one thing. The bigger the dog, the bigger the land mines

Comment

Our little Scout, JRT female has been a great dog the last year and a half. She loves my daughter and my daughter loves her. She does great at letting us know that something is out of place as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7709.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24535253

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a Cur Dog, Blackmouth, Catahoula or a Blue Lacy. They are good all around dogs.

Comment

Get a rescue mutt. You can determine it's personality, etc. early on without waiting for a puppy to grow up and surprise you.

The dog is gonna get lonely outside by itself. Might consider getting two, or letting it in part of the time.

Comment

do some reading on boxers before you decide,,,,

short hair better in heat,.
                        family friendly,
                        defensive of family especially children, but not aggressive,
                        fearless in a fight,
                        very powerful jaws should the need ever arise,
                        very easy to train,
                        very loving and affectionate,
                        not know for turning on family
                        even pretty friendly with other animals, unless trained not to be
                        they can hunt and they can catch if you need a hunting dog,
                        very alert as a watch dog, i have had labs for 30 years,,
                        the boxer is a better watch/alert/guard dog

most people do not think of them as a hunting breed but they were bred for it in the begging the trait remains strong...

they will do their best to keep you entertained and are very comical often..

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          Get a rescue mutt. You can determine it's personality, etc. early on without waiting for a puppy to grow up and surprise you.

The dog is gonna get lonely outside by itself. Might consider getting two, or letting it in part of the time.
                          My father in law is next door, and he has a pointer and a lab

Comment

Our corgi is awesome, want to get another lab too. My chocolate made it to 13 1/2. Our corgi is a purebred but we got her off rescueme.org as a puppy

Comment

Lab

Comment

Working...
                              X