Metal Home Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Home Construction

My wife and I ( and 3 kids) are possibly about to be homeless as we have our house under contract and no place to go!

We are looking at a metal constructed home and have some questions about them. Do any of you guys (and gals) have any knowledge of a metal home? Do any of y’all work or own any metal home business? I’d be happy to throw some work your way if possible.

Anyway, what is the cost of building and finish out (approximate) of a metal home around 2,500 sq ft?

What are the benefits and any negatives of a metal home?

What would you change about yours if you could?

Any specific “do’s” and “do not’s” I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuned in... we will be building a house within a year and have considered a metal home.

Skinny

Comment

Not much cheaper than a regular home in my opinion

Comment

In our experience if you are paying a builder then you might save some but not a ton. The popularity of barndos and metal homes have nullified the savings from what I have seen. Again I think you may save a little but if you are going metal frame then adding wooden stud walls I don’t see how it could be cheaper. Or if you went with metal studs I think it’s even more expensive and a whole new can of worms. I saw too many negatives to go that direction either time we built

Comment

As far as pricing it can change a ton with different factors like insulation, hvac, slab design, and finish out. I have heard on the gulf coast contracting yourself you may get it finished for $80/ft but builders will be from $100 per square foot on to $140 and up depending on how nice you make it

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
            As far as pricing it can change a ton with different factors like insulation, hvac, slab design, and finish out. I have heard on the gulf coast contracting yourself you may get it finished for $80/ft but builders will be from $100 per square foot on to $140 and up depending on how nice you make it

I’d like to keep it around $115/ sq ft. Thinking about stained slab floors and some other cost saving measures. We will be willing to pay for certain aspects like closed cell spray in insulation and a really nice tub for my wife.

Comment

Mueller now has a house kit:

Custom steel buildings from living spaces to storage spaces, from workshops to commercial buildings. Mueller has branch locations in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

That is the price for a bolt together shell.

Of course it is customizable

I talked to a Mueller rep at the Stock Show back in January. It looks pretty nice.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Insurance is slightly cheaper.

Comment

Mueller products and kits suck
                  Trust me they are over priced mfg crap
                  We build custom homes all the time for 110-120$ per sq ft.
                  We are in the dfw area
                  No termites, no rotting wood, no fire just a few of the perks
                  Only negative is you can’t drive a nail in walls you have to use a screw lol

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                    Mueller products and kits suck
                    Trust me they are over priced mfg crap
                    We build custom homes all the time for 110-120$ per sq ft.
                    We are in the dfw area
                    No termites, no rotting wood, no fire just a few of the perks
                    Only negative is you can’t drive a nail in walls you have to use a screw lol

Sasqy:

Why do you say that? Do you work for a builder? If so, would your company be interested in doing a job in Bryan/CS area?

Comment

My partner builds homes but only in the dfw area
                      Bryan college station would be too far
                      I just don’t want anyone getting junk and mueller kits are not all they’re cracked up to be that’s all

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                        My partner builds homes but only in the dfw area
                        Bryan college station would be too far
                        I just don’t want anyone getting junk and mueller kits are not all they’re cracked up to be that’s all
                        I'm just curious why you consider them junk?

Comment

We love our metal building home. You can have an open floor plan and pretty much design the layout however you want to. We built ours for 150-160k for 2400 sq ft of living area and 1200sq ft of porches. Some of that includes well electricity driveway ect.

Comment

The proposed 25% tariff on imported steel is going to increase the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              I'm just curious why you consider them junk?
                              Their fabrication doesn’t line up very well, bolt holes and plates.
                              They span maximum distances with small material.
                              They use Zpurlin for their roof lathes which is flimsy.
                              They rely on the sheet metal to give the frame strength.
                              A good frame should not sway around before sheathing.
                              The price for pre engineered buildings doesn’t justify their product.
                              Find yourself a good contractor and just have one made from scratch without a kit.
                              I’m just saying there are better options IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X