Dove opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove opener

There's no day like the first day of hunting season. Went out this morning on our 25 acres, a little late, around 9 a.m. - it took a minute to finish that biscuits and gravy.

I'm out here just outside of Evant, halfway between Lampasas and Hamilton.

I bagged two and missed 10 more that jumped me from behind or out of nowhere. Those buggers are sneaky! It's harder to spot them by yourself, too - you look left, and they fly right. I swear those birds know when you're not looking. You can stand there staring at an empty sky for an hour, then look down for half a second to scratch an itch, and whooooooosh, they'll fly right over you. I mean, what the.........

I'm using an 11-87 with the "black box" Winchester Super Sport sporting clays ammo. 1 1/8 - 7 1/2's. It costs a couple bucks more a box, but you get really good patterns and performance. Modified choke.

Good luck to everybody. It's shootin' time!
    Last edited by Ruark; 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM.

Good luck everyone, I won't be able to make it out until Saturday

Comment

Didn't hunt this morning but got the smoker fired up at a buddy's and headed that way shortly to shoot some skeet. Gotta get some batteries for the mojos on the way and will be set for this afternoon.

HG

Comment

Went 8 for 13 this morning. They love the mojo, but the best way to bring them in is to put down your shotgun and either, 1. relieve yourself, 2. put in a dip of snuff, 3. eat a snack and get a drink of water, or 4. pack all your stuff and head back to the truck. You're certain to see birds when you have your hands full of something other than shotgun.

Comment

Working...
        X