Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mm Rem Mag vs 7mm STW -- What's the difference??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot the STW and with 168gr. Sierra BTHP and 79gr. of powder I get 3200fps. and 30" drop at 500yds sighted in at 100.
    It is WOW on deer and coyotes!!!!!!
    It's in my avitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingershooter View Post
      What casing is the Lazz built on? I notice it is not belted.
      My understanding is It's his own proprietary design....I don't like belts on sharp shouldered rounds. It's just not needed and their original design was to make sure low sloping cases would extract on dangerous game / turn bolts. For the reloader, you have to watch for case stretch around the belt too. They just kinda stuck in the shooting world with the word 'magnum' and even incorporate them on new rounds too??

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        280 Ack Imp (my favorite )..... 57 to 62 grs .... roughly 3000 fps

mine too.....my rig loves N165.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          mine too.....my rig loves N165.

Like preaching to the choir Paul ... Vihtavuori powders are the only way to go

I just bought 16 lbs of N133 and 8 lbs of N130 (24 pounds )

my small caliber wildcats love this stuff

Coyotes HATE it

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Like preaching to the choir Paul ... Vihtavuori powders are the only way to go

I just bought 16 lbs of N133 and 8 lbs of N130 (24 pounds )

my small caliber wildcats love this stuff

Coyotes HATE it
            I use them almost exclusively....the paper usually confirms it for me. I have some other reloading buddies who say I'm silly for paying more & think I'm a powder snob.

N135 and the 6BR with 66-68br pills are a match in heaven!! I almost thought my 35p was broken when working up loads the 1st time.

Comment

If you want to know more about the 7 STW pick Hoytpro2001's brain. He has it down pretty good!

Comment

The biggest difference?

One you can find ammo for... I'll let you figure out which one.

Todd

Comment

STW stands for Shooting Times Western if I remember right. It's a hard to find cartridge unless you reload. I'd stick with the 7MM REM MAG.

Comment

I handload for several people. I've shot a 7mm STW since 1991. I had a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag rechambered to the 7mm STW. It was a wildcat back then. A friend shoots the 7mm RUM. I load 140 Nosler Accubonds for both rifles. With max loads for both rifles, the velocity is dead even. STW-3450fps...RUM 3451fps. However, the STW has a 24 inch tube, whereas the RUM sports a 26 inch barrel. It also takes about 7 more grains of powder for the RUM to reach the velocity of the STW. The STW is more efficient, but I really like the lack of a belt on the RUM. Feeds a lot smoother. Shoot me a PM if I can help any.

Comment

The only thing I didnt like about the STW is that it punishes on both ends

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                        a lot more powder usage.
                        AND recoil!

Comment

jeez i thought i was being fancy when i paid $55 buck for a box of Hornady "custom" Rounds.

Yall lost me at the difference between 7 mag and . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X