3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    absolutely ridiculous....it was an ad campaign aimed directly at the middle class guys to make them spend more money.

The most juvenile kind of peer pressure...."everyone else is doing it..."

That being said, I have a friend that believed and bought into the nonsense. He spent, nope, scratch that....he FINANCED a $40K engagement ring. They got married, divorced, she kept the ring, and he's still making payments on it.
    That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      absolutely ridiculous....it was an ad campaign aimed directly at the middle class guys to make them spend more money.

The most juvenile kind of peer pressure...."everyone else is doing it..."

That being said, I have a friend that believed and bought into the nonsense. He spent, nope, scratch that....he FINANCED a $40K engagement ring. They got married, divorced, she kept the ring, and he's still making payments on it.
      Lol!! Boy that's a head shaker if I've ever seen one.

Comment

I was informed an "acceptable" ring needs to be 3 months salary?

Must have been a woman that said this.

Comment

Take her and let her pick out a ring. When I did that and she liked the cheapest ring they had I knew I had a keeper. She was more looking for ring style versus big diamond.

And I disagree with all these pessimistic guys. The diamond sector is not looking to make more money, they only want what's best for people in love

Comment

I spent about 2 months salary on one, i wish I had invested that money instead - as nearly 10 years later she could have that same ring and a new car + nicer furniture haha. the ring sits collecting dust half the time

don't get caught up in that game, just get something she will like...shes marrying you not your money.

Comment

I agree that it's 100% a marketing ploy by the diamond folks, but there are girls that want nothing else in life but a fat rock.

You have to weigh what you're getting in the equation. If you're marrying a girl that makes $300k a year and she wants a $40k ring, go right on ahead and give her that ring.

Comment

FORGET THAT RULE !! IT WILL MAKE YOU BROKE IN A HEARTBEAT !!!

Find an amount that works for you and your budget...
                Shop around to find a good dealer...
                Personally, I would call the Dallas World Trade Center and go see a Jeweler up there. WHOLESALE PRICES !!! Means a better deal on your purchase.
                I bought my wifes wing there and we have since upgraded and used them multiple times. They appraise the ring when you purchase it so if you need to get insurance on it, you have an appraisal in hand.

Here is the website of the Jeweler I use: http://cookdiamonds.com/

Comment

Lets say you make 10k a month or 5 k or whatever. Put 3 months worth of diamond on your wife's hand and I think you're making her a target for problems especially she lives in a big city. She can show it off to her girls but still thieves will see an easy target of 30k.

I bought my wife's Diamond separately after shopping around numerous places and then have the ring done she has a respectable ring and it didn't cost me anywhere near 3 month salary.

Comment

No way I would do the 3 month BS. That's way too much money on a ring, but that's just me. This could be your first test to see if ya'll are truly compatible. If she wants a $30k ring and you think that's crazy, pay close attention to this. Everyone has different ideas about what's important in life. Some people are materially driven, some would rather be more practical. When practical and materially driven clash, it usually doesn't end well. Good luck.

Comment

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that will have his 43rd Anniversary this month. When I bought a ring for my wife, we were still in college and I was working part time at a lumber yard. If you held the diamond up to the light, you could barely see "Dr. Pepper" on the diamond. A few years later, when we were more financially secure, I bought her a really nice one. Spend what you can afford.

Comment

Anyone that has to spend that kind of money on a ring to make her happy is in for a lifetime of being a lap dog. God bless them.

Comment

Thirteen years ago when I was ring shopping, I spent pretty close to the 2 months salary on my wife's ring. I think a lot of it depends on the woman, if she is into jewelry and bling then you want to get a really nice ring. To this day, my wife still goes on and on about her amazing her wedding ring looks and how she loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post
                            That was a saying created & promoted by the female species.
                            No actually, De Beers

Comment

How many months salary should a truck be these days? If you finance over 72 or 84 months do you get to divide by 6 or 7, respectively? :-) Heck, some folks spend $75K on a truck and don't make that much on an annual basis. Spend your money how you like, but just keep things in perspective with the other things we blow money on in perpetuity.

Comment

When my wife and I got engaged, I was just out of the military and going to school on the GI bill. We decided to forego an engagement ring. Years later I did buy her a modest diamond. We celebrated our 48th anniversary in January.

Comment

Working...
                                X