Ancestry.com 23 and me? Who's done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancestry.com 23 and me? Who's done it

Who has paid for their DNA to be researched and ancestry info? I have been considering it as we have no idea where we are from and I just found out they can inform you what you are more susceptible to as far as illness or issues later in life. I was curious who has done it, and how was it? Very informative? What service did you use, and would you use it again?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No help here, but in for the responses. Supposedly I'm part Cherokee, best I can tell from looking at records, @10%, be nice to know. Otherwise it's just 100% Arkansas (no Arky) redneck.

Comment

2050z has done one of em with some success. He has a thread around here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Who has paid for their DNA to be researched and ancestry info? I have been considering it as we have no idea where we are from and I just found out they can inform you what you are more susceptible to as far as illness or issues later in life. I was curious who has done it, and how was it? Very informative? What service did you use, and would you use it again?

It’s a terrible test, from a medical perspective. It’s fine as a recreational test (ie. Where am I from and do I have genes for unibrow). If you want to know about serious genetic disease that may run in your family (such as cardiovascular disease, hereditary cancers, etc.), shoot me a PM.

Comment

I had considered it but after hearing of friends finding long lost siblings I didn't think I wanted to chance it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

I’ve been considering as I really have no idea where we are from. Supposedly my grandmas family is Irish, but everybody on our records has been born in the US back to early 1800s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              I had considered it but after hearing of friends finding long lost siblings I didn't think I wanted to chance it.
              You would be amazed at the rate of non-paternity.

Comment

I have done the DNA ancestry test. It is fairly neat, but I knew most of my info. But to really get the total good of the offer, you must sign up for their premium service to really take advantage of your new connection

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                  You would be amazed at the rate of non-paternity.
                  I bet and then there are long lost children who have been looking for their father....

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    I bet and then there are long lost children who have been looking for their father....

Good point

I changed my mind [emoji51][emoji23][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing like thinking you are just about retired only to find out you are on the hook for 18 years of child support

Comment

I am adopted and do not have a clue. Nothing.
                        Might try it....

Comment

I’m following as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            I am adopted and do not have a clue. Nothing.
                            Might try it....
                            I have a buddy who is in the same boat and he didn't find his birth parents but found a lot of good info

Comment

I do not want to name any names, but I know of one instance where a person was abandoned shortly after birth. Through this service the birth mother was found, as was the paternal father (who did not know he was a dad) and this person discovered a whole new family. The birth mother abandoned this person due to alcoholism and only admitted to this after she knew for certain she could no longer face charges or be responsible. Everyone one else - both grand mothers, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. were excited to learn of this person's existence, and the wonderful person that they had grown to become.

Apparently if anyone in your gene pool submitted a sample they can track 'em down.
                              Last edited by TX_Kevin; 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X