Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here refill their 1lb propane bottles themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't, I've heard people talk about refilling the 1lb propane containers..... but, to me, it simply isn't worth it. Three bottles are what, less than $10, and I don't typically even use a full bottle per season, so it would be a waste of time and money to try to monkey with re-filling bottles. Kinda like washing and re-using plastic cutlery.

Comment

I do and the refilled bottles leak, but I made caps for the refilled bottles.

Connect the empty bottle to the bulk bottle. Turn the whole thing upside down and open the bulk bottle. That way you get liquid into the empty bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Fling em View Post
        Get ya one of these and you won't have to worry about refilling the little ones. Hooks straight up to a big bottle which should last a pretty long time.

[ATTACH]898306[/ATTACH]
        Where did you find this ? I’m in need of one .. last winter was very cold .

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
          Got mine at Harbor Freight

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Tractor Supply. Get the in line filter too

Comment

This one was on Amazon.

Comment

I will have to look into this method. My camp trips typically involve using 4-8 canisters for my lanterns.

I have never been a fan of the waste using that many bottles generates, in addition to the cost. Hopefully refilling will cut down on both.

Comment

Lots of "how to videos" on youtube, I have done it, it is very easy to do. Costs $18-20 to get a 20 lb container filled, so you can fill 15-18 1 lb bottles for $20, instead of buying 15 new 1 lb bottles for about $60. It is worth it to me.

Comment

Easy process

Home brew refill tool.I use clean bottles I find around our camp or trash.When the relief valve starts to stick, it's not usable.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                      It is my understanding that the OPD valves (newest that I’m aware of) prevent overfilling and prevent gas transfer when valve is open, but no attachment connected. I’m not aware of any feature preventing liquid flow.

My refills always contain liquid, as evidenced by weight and “sloshing” when shaken.

I have refilled for family out of their Blue Rhino tanks. They are “swap” tanks and I would assume they have the latest and greatest safety doodads.

I am not a propane distribution expert. These are just my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Ooohh. I misunderstood the purpose for these new devices, I guess. I thought they were to prevent liquid flow out of the bottle. It's been awhile since they came out, so I'm just going off of however old memory.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                        Also, crack the valve on the big tank very slowly. It will trigger the flow-stop mechanism if you open it quickly. Once you hear the liquid moving, open it further slowly.

That safety feature stops flow if it thinks a hose has busted somewhere downstream. It needs some back pressure to stay open.

Good info. Thanks

Comment

All the time!

Comment

This works.
                            [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lb0dV-1397c&t=2s"]How To Fill Up A One Pound Propane Bottle - The Right Way and Save $$ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Comment

We started saving bottles last year. Bought what we need and going to try it this year.

Plenty of YouTube videos on different ways to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X