Laguna Atascosa Special hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
    They're doing two special firearm exotic hunts. Just posted to their Facebook Page about 45 minutes ago. April 7-8 and April 14-45. Will do 40 permits each hunt first come first serve. Permits available March 5-9 8am-4pm. Cash only, one permit per person

Units 3, 5, and 8
    That second hunt is a long one.

Comment

I missed cost of permit

Comment

My understanding is $60

Comment

Dang, I sure want to do this. Just need to figure out(guess) how early I need to be in line to get one of the permits.

Comment

So the first 40 that show up get a permit. Wonder what time they open the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              Dang, I sure want to do this. Just need to figure out(guess) how early I need to be in line to get one of the permits.
              I'd guess the line will be there Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                probably real bad early. It's not worth the drive from Fort Worth just for a chance then to head back down for the hunt to me. Just sharing the info for folks that are closer.

You gotta be there early on a Monday morning 3/5 to purchase a permit for an April hunt. In other words you'll be driving straight back home if you get a permit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                  I'd guess the line will be there Sunday afternoon.
                  yeah, kinda what I am thinking.

The folks that live in the RGV miss out on a lot of stuff due to distance, nice that they have something close by.

Comment

Permits for all the hunts at LANWR were first come first serve up until a couple of years ago. Like others have said it's some of the only public land for hunting we have in that area. If I still lived down there I would give it a shot.
                    Last edited by SneakyPhil; 02-16-2018, 08:00 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I live about 20 minutes away and don't know if I want to spend 10-12 hours in line to get a permit. I am sure there will be folks camping overnight. Only 40 permits for each hunt is only 80 people. Hunting allowed in only sections 3, 5, and 8. I really do not see how this will put a dent in the nilgai population there. They'll be luck to harvest 20 total.

Comment

Do you guys really think you need to camp out to get a permit, as my buddy and his wife in Raymondville are going to try to get some permits

Comment

2nd question, I see they accommodate some handicapped hunters I would love to hear more about that

Comment

I don't think camping is required

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                              I don't think camping is required
                              "Camp out" be there 5-8 hour before the gates open

Comment

Getting there the day before wasn't required back when they were first come first served years back, but now that more people know about it things may be different.

Handicapped hunters can use ATVS on park roads with the proper permit and paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                                X