Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Nilgai hunt booked!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a 308 with 165 GMK's should do the trick no problem if you make a good shot.

Comment

It would probably work but I would opt for a tougher bullet that a Sierra Gameking. There is a reason that most outfitters recommend or require a minimum of .300 Magnum.

Comment

.308 is fine

Folded this one up with a .308/168gr winchester silvertip.....they never un-track if you shoot them a little high.
        Last edited by Low Lander; 06-17-2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I have guided several hunters and killed several bulls myself. I used a 165 gr hornady 30-06 and would get a full bullet mushroom every time and about 60% of the time full pass through on behind the shoulder shots breaking ribs on both sides. Many times the bullets that did not pass all the way through we found just under the skin on opposite sides. I have also killed them with 270 140 gr partitions. Clients had luck with magnums and non-magnum loads. I think if you stick to a bonded type bullet at or above 150 gr and you have a good shot placement you will be fine. They are tough animals. Have fund and good luck.

Comment

Good luck. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              I had a guy that was shooting 150 grain remington core lokt's out of a 30-06. his first shot was too far back and into the guts. after we chased it down, we found it with it's head in a water trough. It stood up and he shot it in the neck from about 65 yards away. I told him to keep shooting until it was dead. He had to hit it 3 times total in the neck from 65-80 yards away. not a single bullet passed through the neck. He was putting them in a good spot but those bullets just weren't penetrating for ****. so, shoot a good bullet.

I've seen them killed with .243 and 25-06, but that's not ideal. head on shots in the white throat patch is a good spot. I have a buddy that's killed a couple hundred of them, and his favorite shot was head on, dead center in the chest. If you can get a quartering away shot and tuck one up behind the shoulder bones, that works pretty good too. High shoulder shots that might hit back and be high in the lungs will usually lead to a long trailing. the hide on their lower neck and shoulders is very thick, so 300 yards with a .308 wouldn't be my first choice.
              That exact same thing happened to me same bullet and caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                IMO most people over think, nilgie and elk , a good .30cal will kill them DRT I have seen them killed with British 303 ,7x57 .270 .dont rush your shot and just punch a good hole in them
                It's not over thought at all..
                Nilgai BULLS are extremely tuff animals with VERY thick skin.. The ranches that sell these hunts want you to do your best to drop them or at least get a complete pass through. These things can run forever even when they are hit good.. No pass through means no blood trail and without one finding one in the thick brush is next to impossible..

I've seen the ski. On big mature bulls up to 1.5 inch thick in the neck/shoulder area with most being at least 3/4"-1" thick..

That being said I know a guy who killed one with a .243.
                Right below the era hole.
                The big guns are a better choice IMO but it can be done with smaller calibers but your chances of loosing one do go way up..

Comment

MySRT8U, when you kill the bull and cape it out, pick the cape up. with the head and cape they probably weigh about 80 pounds! good luck, they're a fun animal to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    It's not over thought at all..
                    Nilgai BULLS are extremely tuff animals with VERY thick skin.. The ranches that sell these hunts want you to do your best to drop them or at least get a complete pass through. These things can run forever even when they are hit good.. No pass through means no blood trail and without one finding one in the thick brush is next to impossible..

I've seen the ski. On big mature bulls up to 1.5 inch thick in the neck/shoulder area with most being at least 3/4"-1" thick..

That being said I know a guy who killed one with a .243.
                    Right below the era hole.
                    The big guns are a better choice IMO but it can be done with smaller calibers but your chances of loosing one do go way up..

Nilgai Bullls:
                    These beasts are tough! I put 3 rounds of 7Mag in the first of my bulls. First round was center high and right into the rear lung. He continued running without a skip. Next hit was just behind that in the gut. He went down after the 3rd round hit him in the high neck.

I avoid the mid-base neck area. Nothing passes through there.

Comment

Spend more time studying their vitals if you're a life long deer hunter. They're much more forward and upright than those on a deer and it's really easy to hit an area too far back that may eventually kill them, but not in time for you to collect them.

I'd say the stories on them are both founded in reality and exaggerated based on my experience. My buddy shot a pretty big bull with a .270 and it went like 20 yards and piled up. I shot a cow with my .308 and MIGHT have hit her an inch back of ideal and she ran for like 5 hours. Kept laying down, but always jumped before I could get a shot off.

Point being: Make your shot and you'll be fine.

Comment

Here's one of mine that made the books.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. It definitely gives me something to think about! I may have to break the 7mag out for this one. I am definitely very excited. This has been a bucket list hunt for me for a long, long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've witnessed a lot of success with 7Mag or any fast moving 30 cal

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                              Thanks for the advice guys. It definitely gives me something to think about! I may have to break the 7mag out for this one. I am definitely very excited. This has been a bucket list hunt for me for a long, long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              If you have a 7mm Mag by all means use it.. Without hesitation over the .308.
                              Shoot a heavy(160gr+)Barnes or Nosler Partion bullet.
                              The extra power will do you well..

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                Here's one of mine that made the books.
                                Great bull.. Who do you hunt with? I have the Nilgai itch very bad again....

Comment

Working...
                                X