Impressed with my Congressman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressed with my Congressman

Met with Congressman Louie Gohmert yesterday- sharp guy. He seems to know what needs to be done that is in our best interest and will keep fighting the battle. He brought up something that I hadn't thought about when it comes to that nut job in NKorea- it isn't whether he shoots a missile hitting the US with a hydrogen bomb...it's whether he shoots one up into the atmosphere above the US and detonates is. That would completely wipe out the electrical grid in the US- except Texas. He told us that Texas is on a separate grid and the we are doing things to protect our grid against something like this. He also talked about trying to get Obamacare repealed and replaced- the time frame is short to try to get something passed while only 51 votes are needed in the Senate. After talking to him I am proud to have him representing us east Texans.

Those are good points and I'm glad to hear my faith in Gohmert was not unfounded.

Comment

I believe he is wise to be concerned. A few years ago there was a study commissioned by Congress to look into the dangers of an EMP attack on the United States. The study was too long to get through, but just reading the executive summary was terrifying. . The study looked at what would happen if an EMP was launched from a barge offshore and knocked out power to a large geographical area like the eastern seaboard. They estimated that it could result in the deaths of something like 10% of the population in the affected area if the power outage lasted just 30 days. That sounds like an outlandish number of dead - mostly from disease, lack of medical care in emergencies and what they termed "civil unrest". Scary stuff.

Comment

I had read that with out power for 1 year, the U.S. would be 90% depopulated. It's very serious.

Comment

So, what is the rebuilding process after something like an EMP blast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
            So, what is the rebuilding process after something like an EMP blast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Depends what our new Overlords want....

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              I had read that with out power for 1 year, the U.S. would be 90% depopulated. It's very serious.
              That may be a little high LOL. Seriously doubt we go from 350 million people down to 35 million.

But this is something I've thought about. No electricity and it would be chaos. Think no AC is bad? What about no one having a fridge to keep food cold? No milk, cheese, meat, fruits etc.. No gas pumps. All the liberals with electric cars would not be able to make it to Whole Foods

Stock markets crash for real. People would go nuts.

But don't worry. That would be the ONE time people really need help from the government via food stamps etc..But they probably wouldn't be there to help at that point. They could say You conservatives always wanted to cut these programs so we're cutting them for you!

Comment

The actual effect an EMP could have and is really unknown and widely debated. Some say it could be dire like above, some say it could knock out a city, some say it would be nothing at all. Given how those who govern us work, my first thought is they'll blow it out of proportion in order to get a bigger budget.

If you want some entertaining reading material about this (Fiction). Read "One Second After", "One Year After" and "The Final Day" by William R. Forstchen. Very entertaining books.

Comment

I've thought about how it would be to live through one of those attacks. You're sitting at work or at home and the power goes off - no big deal. Then you pick up your phone and it doesn't work. Over the next few hours people start to sense that something big has happened. Panic ensues quickly - the run you see on grocery stores before a hurricane would pale in comparison. Stores can't ring anything up or keep people out so everybody just starts hauling off everything they can carry. Within a week I can see the people who don't have stuff will try and go get it from those that do and social order completely unravels. I hope the risk is overblown.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    That may be a little high LOL. Seriously doubt we go from 350 million people down to 35 million.

But this is something I've thought about. No electricity and it would be chaos. Think no AC is bad? What about no one having a fridge to keep food cold? No milk, cheese, meat, fruits etc.. No gas pumps. All the liberals with electric cars would not be able to make it to Whole Foods

Stock markets crash for real. People would go nuts.

But don't worry. That would be the ONE time people really need help from the government via food stamps etc..But they probably wouldn't be there to help at that point. They could say You conservatives always wanted to cut these programs so we're cutting them for you!
                    Hell, he might be right. Consider something like 80% of the US lives in urban areas and how dependent the whole country is on electricity to run properly. If there's no rapid action plan to keep supply lines of food going to the cities, then all the grocery stores will be empty within a week, and people will run out of food in another week or so. You'll have riots, mass looting, and open warfare in the streets. And once that's done, the winning group or groups will be moving to rural areas looking for more food. More warfare as people won't give up their land/food willingly.

In my opinion, the President would have to take rapid action in such a case: declare martial law, federalize all law enforcement, and deploy the military to keep the country from eating itself alive. Unfortunately that's like a nightmare scenario for democracy. Better we (as a country) prep for such an event and develop ways to mitigate the effects of an EMP.

Comment

Twelve states have launched initiatives to protect the electrical grid from the dangers of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP), which could be generated by a nuclear explosion in space or a solar storm. Electromagnetic energy from an EMP can disrupt electric signals on which the electrical grid relies.

Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and Washington have, in different ways, demanded that utilities upgrade their systems to protect against EMPs. “There is a lot of activity at the state levels, growing activity I hope,” executive director of EMP Task Force on National and Homeland Security, Peter Pry told Watchdog.org, “and all of it kind of driven by frustration that Washington has had half a decade, and it hasn’t done anything.”

Comment

It would be bad to knock out the grid but not as dire as it is made out to be. We all here have seen Hurricanes come through and knock out one of the largest cities in the nations grid over and over again. Im sure it would get back up and running within a year nationwide. There would be much more to worry about at that point because everyone of us at the point a nuke was launched at us would be in OD Green with a rifle in hand and on our way to kill and be killed.

Comment

At least people would be forced to work. And learn how to hunt and actually grow things. It boggles my mind how people can't do anything anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            At least people would be forced to work. And learn how to hunt and actually grow things. It boggles my mind how people can't do anything anymore.
                            Hahaha, optimistic much?

They would form tribes in the urban areas and kill each other for existing resources. Then when those ran out they would just die off.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              Hahaha, optimistic much?

They would form tribes in the urban areas and kill each other for existing resources. Then when those ran out they would just die off.
                              Got to look at the positives! I'd get to live at the ranch and hunt full time.Plus the wife couldn't ask me what's for dinner. It's whatever I see and shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X