Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
HUNTnTAIL
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer/Burnet/Sterling City
Default What kind of fuel mileage are you getting in your Eco Boost?

Just wondering what kind of fuel mileage you are getting in your 4 door 4x4 Eco Boost. I drive about 150 miles a day in my 3500 dually. Getting tired of putting in 120$ every couple of days and thinking about getting a new Eco boost F150. I would probably put replacement bumpers on the front and back plus put 285 tires on it. I need to know if the add ons will make the fuel mileage go down significantly. Thanks in advance

Has anyone gone from a mega cab dually to an Eco boost or from a diesel to an Eco boost and how do you like it. It just seems hard to go from diesels to an Eco boost. I don't want to be T'd off if I get one and wish I would have stayed with a diesel

Last edited by HUNTnTAIL; 01-08-2013 at 05:53 PM.
HUNTnTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Mine stock babying it was getting 18-20 on hwy 16 in town. Bigger tires, leveling kit and a grill guard(not replacement bumper) and now im at 16 and 13-14. Add ons hurt the mileage alot on the eco. It still hauls arse and pulls like a mother!!! I strongly recommend it. Oh and I no longer baby it, I drove it like I stole it!!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Ride_Klein
Eight Point

Hunt In: Denton, Cooke

It should be called an eco or boost. My 2012 fx4 crew cab bone stock will run 21 on the highway al day long.... if you can stay at 65 or under. Fat chance of that. 18mpg at 70... 16mpg at 80.

The city yields right at 16mpg. Don't baby it, but don't hot rod it either.
Ride_Klein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
txnduckhntr
Banned!!!

Hunt In: smiley/gonzales county

i havent checked my mileage, but it will pull my 24ft gooseneck full of mama cows no problemo. im impressed
txnduckhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Rounder
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I know you asked about Eco boost but I figured I'd give you perspective on the 5.0. I bought mine new right before Thanksgiving and have just under 5k miles on it. I've gotten about 15 mph in the city and got just over 17 mpg on a couple hundred mile trip with the cruise control sat on 82.
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
lsmith
Eight Point

Hunt In: Christoval, Tx

If I keep mine under 70 I average 18.6 combined. Going back and forth to the lease 5 hours averaging 80 mph loaded I get 16.5-17. It pulls like a diesel.... I love this truck !!!!!2.5" leveling kit is only mod do far..
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River, Lamar, Delta and The H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
If I keep mine under 70 I average 18.6 combined. Going back and forth to the lease 5 hours averaging 80 mph loaded I get 16.5-17. It pulls like a diesel.... I love this truck !!!!!2.5" leveling kit is only mod do far..
Haha! Now that's funny! I'm assuming you haven't pulled anything besides a lawn mower trailer and have never pulled anything with a diesel.
J. Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
txnduckhntr
Banned!!!

Hunt In: smiley/gonzales county

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Colwell View Post
Haha! Now that's funny! I'm assuming you haven't pulled anything besides a lawn mower trailer and have never pulled anything with a diesel.
the 2004 f250 diesel i traded in was a dog compared to my ecoboost.
txnduckhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnduckhntr View Post
What kind of acceleration does it have if you put your foot in it to pass someone?
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnduckhntr View Post
Ok, if you say so but hook up 20k lbs or hook a decent load up and go pull Ranger Hill and see how the Ecoboost pulls for ya. Both may be good at what they were designed for but trying to compare the 2 is like apples and oranges.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
lnester
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

16.8 mpg in the city. About 18 mpg on the highway if I keep it around 70. This is for an FX4, stock tires.
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
lsmith
Eight Point

Come on colwell... U really want to hook up a half ton truck to 20,000 lbs???? It is the best motor out there in a half ton. It pulls a 21' bay boat better than my dads 3/4 ton with the Chevy 6.0 in it. And I've seen the 6.0 walk off from diesels loaded with 14,000 of hay behind them. If you don't have one then why are you even posting?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

Mine is at 15.8 right now and I haven't reset it in a while and have a really short stop and go commute. Mostly city driving. When I reset and get on a toll road and put on cruise control at 65 or so it goes up to about 20 mpg.
UncleCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
HUNTnTAIL
Ten Point

Thanks for the responses
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Come on colwell... U really want to hook up a half ton truck to 20,000 lbs???? It is the best motor out there in a half ton. It pulls a 21' bay boat better than my dads 3/4 ton with the Chevy 6.0 in it. And I've seen the 6.0 walk off from diesels loaded with 14,000 of hay behind them. If you don't have one then why are you even posting?
No, I absolutely wouldn't and wouldn't compare them to a diesel. FYI, no I don't own one but have rode and drove one. I was just reading how yall brag about getting 18 mpg out of a 1/2 ton and couldn't resist when the guy tried comparing the 2. Also more thing, who are you to question why posted and tell me when I can post?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
BIG IRON
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Quote:
Because you are threatening his manhood
BIG IRON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
lsmith
Eight Point

Not threatened just wondering why someone who doesn't have one would talk trash about one....the guy asked for real world input... Not bs
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Ok I only stated that it wouldn't pull like a diesel but was good at what it was designed for. As I see it, some other people have been mis-representing. No harm or bashing intended.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
You sir, are going to cause an expensive action if you continue to speak that way.... You will convince me to go out and get one of these and at this point in time I cant really afford one!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
DapperDan
Pope & Young

So, as far as gas goes, anyone got some input between the big tundra and the ecco boost? Both 4 door and 4x4.... just wondering how they compare.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis_1313 View Post
So, as far as gas goes, anyone got some input between the big tundra and the ecco boost? Both 4 door and 4x4.... just wondering how they compare.
I'm may get scolded here since I'm not allowed to post on this thread but I would pick the one that starts with "F" and ends with "D" for various reasons.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm may get scolded here since I'm not allowed to post on this thread but I would pick the one that starts with "F" and ends with "D" for various reasons.
Hmmm... interesting. I have a tacoma and its been the toughest truck ive ever seen. Ive put it places some wouldnt put an atv. 250,000 miles and its still here. I have some friends with the tundra and love em say they have great power, but fuel mileage sucks bad...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
J. Colwell
Ten Point

I bought a new Toyota back in the 90's and it was a piece. I've got a buddy that owns 2 Yotas (T100 and Tundra) and they've been great trucks. My dad drives Fords and seems to really like them. Fuel mileage is gonna be a little better with the Ecoboost and just like how the Ford looks and feels better than the Yota. Plus, Ford is an American company and Toyota is Japanese.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
kenforu
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, Colorado, illinois

I have the tundra crewmax and get the same mileage as spoken above for the Eco, 18 hwy 16-17 city 13 towing my 26' trailer but at 70-80 mile an hour with no issues this is my second Toyota and before that I had two ford diesels. Towing mileage was better on the ford but Toyota power is great. J m2c
kenforu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
tribute06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lometa

I've got a 2011 ram 3500 that gets 19 to 21 mpgs on the highway and 16 to 17 in town. Spend a few bucks on your diesel and keep it, especially if you tow anything heavy.
tribute06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
arcfiddler
Four Point

Hunt In: Finally inside the high fence
Default ecobeast

I have a 2011 FX 4 6.5 foot bed, bed cover, stock tires, 3.73 gearing.

I get between 17 to 19 mpg depending on how agressive I am with it. Haven't had it on the highway for any long trips. Still low mileage at less the 11K so I guess it could go to crap down the road.

I will say Ford's extended warranty is a pile of crap. I had and heard of others that found paint defects. I found two that were barely noticeable and later found the bottom of my grill was cracked. Ford took care of the paint defects but wouldn't comp the grill. I went ahead and had the emblems shaved off her and the stickers removed while in the body shop for spite.

I have some nasty little stickers I send in with every payment on the back of the envelope.

I don't like the mickey mouse little air deflecter gizmo under the engine ( owners manual reccommends you remove before off roading), don't like the fact there is no dip stick for the tranny, or like the wiring harnes external to the frame on the drivers side.

I didn't buy it to go plowing through the woods in 4 wheel drive ( I have an old Chevy 1 ton that does that pretty good). It works for what I bought it for and thus far no complaints. You stick your foot in it and its gone. Amazingly quite and handles like a sports car. Wasn't sure about the sissy step and grab bar in the tailgate. Guess I must be becoming a sissy or just getting old as its actually pretty handy.

I had hell dealing with the local ford folks to purchase and ended up buying mine from woodhouse ford in Blair, Nebraska and having it shipped to me.

You may give them a holler if not in a hurry as you will be shocked at how much you could save even after you pay shipping and registration / tax on this end.

Have not towed anything with it yet but my buddy pulled a trailer to his deer lease with his with a 4x4 crew cab chevy 1 ton on the trailer and tried to run 70 every chance he got and had no problems other than the mileage going to crap.
arcfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
HUNTnTAIL
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribute06 View Post
I've got a 2011 ram 3500 that gets 19 to 21 mpgs on the highway and 16 to 17 in town. Spend a few bucks on your diesel and keep it, especially if you tow anything heavy.
That's what I got is a 2011. I thought about getting the delete kit and all that but the thing is I don't hardly pull anything anymore. I'm a sales rep and use my own truck for work and drive a bunch. I figure the f150 might be a lot easier to drive around and easier at the pumps
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTnTAIL View Post
That's what I got is a 2011. I thought about getting the delete kit and all that but the thing is I don't hardly pull anything anymore. I'm a sales rep and use my own truck for work and drive a bunch. I figure the f150 might be a lot easier to drive around and easier at the pumps
Here's something for you to think about, take the money your going to lose on the one you have, what it takes to get into a new one, the little you may gain by driving a gas and how many miles it would take to possibly even come out ahead. I would suggest you really think about it before you make a move you could possibly regret. Good luck on your decision!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
tribute06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lometa

if you decide to keep it definitely do the deletes. the truck is unreal without out all that crap on them. good luck with your decision.
tribute06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
HUNTnTAIL
Ten Point

Quote:
Here's something for you to think about, take the money your going to lose on the one you have, what it takes to get into a new one, the little you may gain by driving a gas and how many miles it would take to possibly even come out ahead. I would suggest you really think about it before you make a move you could possibly regret. Good luck on your decision!
Thanks for the input. That's what I am thinking. It's not like I can't afford the diesel but I could be blowing the money on other things like guns and etc
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #31
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Why not get a commuter car for the drive to work? That many miles will pay for itself in fuel savings alone at 30+mpg.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

I've got a 2013, platinum, 3.55, Fox coilovers with reservoirs and 305/55 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Got 15 according to the computer setting the cruise at 75 to New Orleans and back. I have not corrected the speedometer for the bigger tires, so I'd assume mileage should really be a little better than what the computer says.

Before the lift and tires I got 18 on a trip to Paris with it empty, then 12.5 towing a 20' steel deck car hauler with a 4500 pound concrete burial vault from Amarillo back to Rosenberg.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #33
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX AND IL

PM sent! 11.8 mpg normal driving This will be the last Ford I ever buy! They have screwed me for the last 29000 miles! Lol not sure how much longer I can't take it before I trade this POS in....
Ecoboost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Ecoboost
Ten Point

BTW I will trade you for your truck!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoboost View Post
PM sent! 11.8 mpg normal driving This will be the last Ford I ever buy! They have screwed me for the last 29000 miles! Lol not sure how much longer I can't take it before I trade this POS in....
How r u getting 11.8???????? Something has to be seriously wrong.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Yup the 33" x 13" on 20 x 10 wheels and a 3" lift oh and I guess it uses more gas running on 3 cylinders for some reason.... Lol
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Hang on I will get u a pic of what it says right now!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #38
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357709528.864682.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  51.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357709544.450234.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  55.4 KB

Sorry I was wrong 11.2 lmfao!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #39
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoboost View Post
Yup the 33" x 13" on 20 x 10 wheels and a 3" lift oh and I guess it uses more gas running on 3 cylinders for some reason.... Lol
Burn more on 3 cylinders??? That doesnt sound right at all... im assuming that its supposed to run on 3 if your cruising or kick in to 6 if you are accelerating or towing?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #40
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Wow.... that sucks bad. Im sorry but i would not be happy at all. So the tires and rims and lift are sucking it down that bad? That aint good cause i kind of wanted to go that route myself..
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #41
Ecoboost
Ten Point

No it's a POS and every time it rains it goes into a limp mode... Ford says the inter cooler is building up condensation because it is to efficient! So that covered up part of it with a piece of plastic shroud of some sort. Then the flashed the ECU so that when this stuff happens the check engine light doesn't come on anymore! Ford doesn't know how to fix this yet.... This is the worst $35000 I've ever spent! Lesson learned! Ford can stick it you know where!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #42
DapperDan
Pope & Young

I sure hate to hear that. Is this a common problem with them? Seems like at your mileage i should just get another yota. If the new tundra is like my 02 tacoma then it is a beast cause that little truck has been put through the ringer. I even forgot to change the oil once for over 20k miles!!!!!!!! Not exaggerating. Never ran hot and never gave me ant problems. Lacks some of the horse power now and doesnt get as good mileage as it once did but like i said its an 02, 250k miles, rode hard and put up wet.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #43
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Either that or a cummins diesel. I just hate how they are going to the fuel additive or what ever!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #44
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Yes it common. Some get lucky some dont... I like the tocos but never been a fan of the tundra. I test drove a used one that was in bad shape I guess... I guess I will go back to a GM product. I had a hummer H3 before this and never had a single problem oh and got 19 mpgs! Lol
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #45
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Seems like thats with everything these days. Kind of terrible when you hope to be lucky when purchasing new!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #46
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Averaging right around 15 with almost all city driving haardly over 40 MPH and a lot of stop and go. When I do get on the highway it jumps to 20+ depending on speed. Scary fast too when I want it to be. 2012, 6.5' bed, 3.55 gears, stock otherwise.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #47
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

I have a 2012 F150 Crew King Ranch with bed cover and I am getting 17 around town and about 20-21 on highway trips. I have about 8K on it and it seems to be getting better.

I did have the issue with a bell housing leaking and it was in the shop for 10 days, but Ford fixed it. All the trucks built in May of 2012 seem to have this problem from what I have read on the internet.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #48
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis_1313 View Post
I sure hate to hear that. Is this a common problem with them?
I dont know how common it is. I know 5 people plus myself that drive trucks with the ecoboost and none of us have had that problem.
Maybe it was a bad batch of some specific part and its effecting all the trucks made during that run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I have a 2012 F150 Crew King Ranch with bed cover and I am getting 17 around town and about 20-21 on highway trips. I have about 8K on it and it seems to be getting better.

I did have the issue with a bell housing leaking and it was in the shop for 10 days, but Ford fixed it. All the trucks built in May of 2012 seem to have this problem from what I have read on the internet.
I need to check that sticker on my truck and see when it was made. I think it was April or May, but I cant remember.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

I have a 2012 Fx4 ecoboost and I get about 15ish around town. Driving to Louisiana I set my cruise on 70 and dont take it off for 100 miles. (State line to Lafayette) and I get 18 -19.
Driving from Madisonville to The Woodlands I set my cruise at 75 and get ~17mpg, but with traffic it varies alot. I have to run up to 80 to pass someone, then in 2 miles I have to slow down to 60 because of traffic, then I get around them and go back to 75....

My trip computer shows a lifetime mileage of 16.5 and I have 15,000 miles on it. I drive around town in Madisonville, drive from Madisonville to The Woodlands daily during the week for half the month, drive to Houma and drive around town there for half the month.
I have a good 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. If you spend more time on the highway you will probably get better mileage than I am.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #50
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_Klein View Post
It should be called an eco or boost. My 2012 fx4 crew cab bone stock will run 21 on the highway al day long.... if you can stay at 65 or under. Fat chance of that. 18mpg at 70... 16mpg at 80.

The city yields right at 16mpg. Don't baby it, but don't hot rod it either.
This is my exact experience as well.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top