Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Ricochet83
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default Jewell Trigger

Anyone do a trigger swap with a Jewel trigger on a Remington 700 Long Range? How did you like it compared to like a Timney or the others?
Ricochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
arcfiddler
Four Point

Hunt In: Finally inside the high fence
Default Jewel

Once you get past the price tag there are no regrets. Smooth as a mouse pissing on cotten! I have 3 on rem 700ís and love them.
arcfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Dkincaid
Eight Point

Those jewels are super sweet triggers for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
XR650RRider
Six Point

Jewell is great, have 4 of them (2 @ 1-1/2 oz) but for 700 also look at single stage Bix n' Andy TacSport, I've bought 2 of them and I believe they are even more consistent pull to pull as Jewell, the TacSport will go down to 10 oz. I have one waiting on new APR group build, Timney 510 will be yanked upon arrival.
XR650RRider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Ricochet83
Four Point

I have been doing some research and it all looks like the Jewell's are the way to go.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Buy once.....cry once.....and cheaper in the long run.

Only trigger I will use in my 700s.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
Ricochet83
Four Point

So i am assuming the HVR model; would be the one for the long range in 7 mag does anyone know?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

I have an extra one that I took off of a build if you are interested. It is the HVR without bolt release and currently set at 8oz. I have 4 Jewells and a Triggertech Diamond on bolt guns. They are very nice.
JakeGraves is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet83 View Post
So i am assuming the HVR model; would be the one for the long range in 7 mag does anyone know?
HVR = Hunting, Varmint Rifle

A, B, or C springs are used to adjust trigger pull weight from 1.5 ozs. to 48 ozs.

Pretty sure they come set from the factory at 1 lb. (spring A = 8 ozs. to 48 ozs. weight) , since you have a Rem 700 make sure you get the trigger that has the bolt release and safety (top or bottom)

WARNING: after shooting, you will be selling all your junk factory triggers to buy more Jewells.
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

I did. It’s a really nice trigger.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Take this for what it is worth since I am by no means am an expert or marksman but I have a Jewell trigger and I absolutely love it.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
SOLID EAGLE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Great trigger, Texas company too.
SOLID EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #13
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
Jewell is great, have 4 of them (2 @ 1-1/2 oz) but for 700 also look at single stage Bix n' Andy TacSport, I've bought 2 of them and I believe they are even more consistent pull to pull as Jewell, the TacSport will go down to 10 oz. I have one waiting on new APR group build, Timney 510 will be yanked upon arrival.

This is the only trigger I would choose over a Jewell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
XR650RRider
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This is the only trigger I would choose over a Jewell.
The 2 ball bearings yield a very crisp break and using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge, they break at the exact same pull weight every time. After owning Jewells it's hard to imagine a better trigger but there are lots of Jewell's being replaced especially the benchrest triggers, they can be set down to 0.1 oz. For a hunting trigger, the TacSport has a pin that prevents an accidental movement of the safety lever, but you just push over a little to release. Carrying rifle on a sling, it's an advantage over the Jewell. Don't get me wrong, I won't be replacing all my Jewell's but when I buy a new one, it'll be Bix n' Andy.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 04-30-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
WARNING: after shooting, you will be selling all your junk factory triggers to buy more Jewells.
you can sell junk factory triggers?!?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Most of The older 700 triggers can be adjusted down to satisfactory hunting weights & I really don't mind those 'junk' triggers on the few I haven't replaced...it's just REALLY nice having that adjustment on the Jewell & being able to tune them down at the range for paper work & add some back for the field with a simple tiny allen.

I've also gotten fond of the skinny shoe the Jewells have...combine that with the the fact of learning the company I work for (mfg division) does the actual surface grinding on the side plates for Jewell in San Antonio is sort of a neat plus for me after 30 years of using their triggers.

I've got one Calvin Elite on a model 7 & it is a fine trigger but still prefer the Jewell shoe vs their smooth / rounded...I'm not familiar with the bix n andy & first I've heard of them. The Jewell can get down to 1.5oz if needed for br work so the 10oz isn't all that special, but it's still Impressive to hear of another top shelf in the mix.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #17
XR650RRider
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
The Jewell can get down to 1.5oz if needed for br work so the 10oz isn't all that special, but it's still Impressive to hear of another top shelf in the mix.
The benchrest version goes down to 1/10 of an ounce.
The TacSport is 10 oz.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Artos
Pope & Young

"For me", It's hard to fathom being able to control anything under 1.5oz & think most would agree if you have spent any amount of time behind one...it's barely enough to have the needed control to get into it & expect it to go off when you want it to while watching flags & mirage. It would be very interesting to try one under 1oz to see if it was even manageable.

I briefly looked at them and thought the design was fascinating. I would need to research it more but would be worried about a hunting trigger getting cruded up...I didn't mind my jewell the previous year & had a hang fire while finally getting a chance on elusive cull we called 'the ghost'. It was my fault & was filthy when I removed the stock. Now all my jewells get a lighter fluid bath at the end of the season. The bix appears to have a bunch more moving parts with the bearing design?? Just something for me to consider in the dusty environment down here.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #19
XR650RRider
Six Point

One of their advantages was piercing a primer and the Jewell was out of commission but the Bix n' Andy keeps going. No lighter fluid with BnA, brake cleaner only and ran absolutely dry. After you shoot a while with 1.5 oz (1 of my Panda's actually tests at 1oz and was tuned), you do learn that you can rest your finger on it (as light a touch as a butterfly) and you start to feel the slight differences from pull to pull. The Jewell's are usually taken apart and side plates polished to make them more repeatable. The competition Bix n' Andy's don't require it. Supposedly Tony Boyer made the switch, so that says a lot.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 04-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
Artos
Pope & Young

I haven't checked out what's winning short range br on the equipment list on benchrest.com in quite some time & assume they are still posting...I'm actually getting 'a little' back into it with my 6BR & am running a Shilen 1.5oz & quite happy with it. First br trigger other than jewell I've ever had & operated & very similar in feel.

I would imagine there are several top players trying the bix these days...they are sort of a fickle bunch & like testing the newest and greatest gadget.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #21
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
I have a TacSport in my newest rifle and itís amazing
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #22
ptaylortx
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County

I run Jewell triggers on my custom precision rifles. They hardly see anything other than paper and steel. For all my hunting rifles, I prefer Timney 510. I set them at 2lbs and like the wider trigger shoe for cold fingers during hunting season.
ptaylortx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #23
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Jewell is an Omega of the timepiece world as compared to the Timney which is a Seiko.
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top