No announcement yet.

Why health insurance costs so much these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna break this down to the way I see it. My lunch costs me $5. When I buy lunch for me and a guy at work, it costs me $10. Add another guy to that and it's $15. Now, 20 years ago my lunch would have cost me $3 instead of $5, two lunches $6 instead of $10, etc. Now, for arguments sake let's say I bought my lunch, 2 coworkers lunch, and lunch for the 100 able bodied bums that hang out around all the restaurants. That's $15 for me and my coworkers, and an additional $500 for all the bums who don't work. Total cost of my initial $5 lunch= $515, before taxes of course.

Comment

Take that scenario and imagine the government mandating you buy those bums lunch, otherwise get taxed for $600 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
        I'm gonna break this down to the way I see it. My lunch costs me $5. When I buy lunch for me and a guy at work, it costs me $10. Add another guy to that and it's $15. Now, 20 years ago my lunch would have cost me $3 instead of $5, two lunches $6 instead of $10, etc. Now, for arguments sake let's say I bought my lunch, 2 coworkers lunch, and lunch for the 100 able bodied bums that hang out around all the restaurants. That's $15 for me and my coworkers, and an additional $500 for all the bums who don't work. Total cost of my initial $5 lunch= $515, before taxes of course.
        You forget that your sandwich shop gets volume price discounts so if you dont buy sandwiches for three of your coworkers the shop only needs to buy 25% of the meat they normally do (so the cost of a pound of meat goes up) and also they dont need to hire as many sandwich makers or even lease so many sq ft to house their sandwich shop.

Many areas are effected by this.

#trickledowneconomics

Comment

Which would all be solved if people were held accountable for their own welfare, and paid for their own stuff. My comment was to reflect that prices on insurance soared due to each one of us paying for several other people who are not paying. As far as the sandwich shop goes, they weren't getting that business before, and my sandwich was $5, because the bums that I was forced to buy sandwiches for don't buy sandwiches anyway.

#payforyourownstuffandtrickledowneconimcsisnotpred icatedontheconsumerpayingforotherconsumers.

Figure that one out

Comment

Which would all be solved if people were held accountable for their own welfare, and paid for their own stuff. My comment was to reflect that prices on insurance soared due to each one of us paying for several other people who are not paying. As far as the sandwich shop goes, they weren't getting that business before, and my sandwich was $5, because the bums that I was forced to buy sandwiches for don't buy sandwiches anyway.

#payforyourownstuffandtrickledowneconimcsisnotpred icatedontheconsumerpayingforotherconsumers.

Figure that one out
            When did our current medical payment system come into place?
            In the 1950s if you went to the ER would you be turned away if you didn't have enough money to pay?
            1960s?
            70s?
            The system we have is not new.
            There have ALWAYS been bums that did not pay their medical bills.

Stop with the blame game.

Why was no one complaining about paying for medical coverage for bums in the 60s?

Healthcare costs have been steadily rising and outpacing inflation for over 50 years!
            But now everyone wants to cry bloody murder.

Why???

Were kids getting Ritalin and other treatments for ADD/ADHD in the 60s?
            Or were they just told to go stand in the corner?
            What about Autism?
            Autism care is expensive and fairly new to healthcare costs.
            So that increases your premiums too.
            Your paying for folks kids that need autism care even if your kid doesn't have it.

Politicians use discussions like these as a wedge to keep "liberals" and "conservatives" at each other's throats.
            But you see what happened once the "conservatives" got complete power to fully repeal Obamacare......
            They left it FULLY INTACT just as Obama wrote it
            Why?
            Are you guys not questioning why?
            Stop letting then divide us!

Please look into this, go find how many REPUBLICAN politicians voted AGAINST a full repeal of Obamacare

And ask them WHY they voted against a full repeal if Obamacare is so bad.

Stop the divide

Again, Republicans did this

Comment

Look at the above link
              It shows annual health care costs
              You will see DOUBLE DIGIT percent increases every year since 1960
              Except when Obama was in office those increases were in the 4% - 5% range

Stop being fooled

Comment

Look, I don't want to get in an argument. With that being said, look at the raw numbers. When we picked up all these people who did not have insurance our rates began to climb. When the government said that pre-existing conditions should be covered that caused even more inflation. When the government said we are REQUIRED BY LAW to have health insurance or pay a penalty, insurance costs went up. It went up because the GOVERNMENT dictated that we had no viable option other than getting insurance, insurers were gonna be required to cover things that happened 20 years ago, we added millions of people that did not have healthcare and could not afford healthcare which we have to cover with higher premiums and deductibles, plus a large amount of insurers couldn't comply with new regs, so they closed shop. Leaving just a few crooked insurance companies standing. When I was 19 I got in a bad car wreck, my friend drove me to the hospital ER. I went in for X-rays, received medical treatment and was required to stay for a day before I was released. I had no insurance and received a bill. I paid on that bill for about 5 years to pay it off. There were options to everyone before this mess was implemented, without the government controlling it. I look at the timeline. Pre-Obamacare, insurance was $82 every 2 weeks from my check, this included dental and short/long term disability, life insurance etc. and deductible was around $1200. Post-Obamacare, insurance is $168 every 2 weeks, no dental or life insurance. Deductible is around 8k. Doctor visits went from $25 to $50. The insurance company is allowed to charge me an additional $50 a month because I am an occasional tobacco user.

Comment

Look, I don't want to get in an argument. With that being said, look at the raw numbers. When we picked up all these people who did not have insurance our rates began to climb. When the government said that pre-existing conditions should be covered that caused even more inflation. When the government said we are REQUIRED BY LAW to have health insurance or pay a penalty, insurance costs went up. It went up because the GOVERNMENT dictated that we had no viable option other than getting insurance, insurers were gonna be required to cover things that happened 20 years ago, we added millions of people that did not have healthcare and could not afford healthcare which we have to cover with higher premiums and deductibles, plus a large amount of insurers couldn't comply with new regs, so they closed shop. Leaving just a few crooked insurance companies standing. When I was 19 I got in a bad car wreck, my friend drove me to the hospital ER. I went in for X-rays, received medical treatment and was required to stay for a day before I was released. I had no insurance and received a bill. I paid on that bill for about 5 years to pay it off. There were options to everyone before this mess was implemented, without the government controlling it. I look at the timeline. Pre-Obamacare, insurance was $82 every 2 weeks from my check, this included dental and short/long term disability, life insurance etc. and deductible was around $1200. Post-Obamacare, insurance is $168 every 2 weeks, no dental or life insurance. Deductible is around 8k. Doctor visits went from $25 to $50. The insurance company is allowed to charge me an additional $50 a month because I am an occasional tobacco user.
                  I sent you a link with all the numbers since 1960
                  You're being so stubborn you don't even want to look at the data.
                  But you don't want to argue.
                  Neither do i that's why I left you the link with the simple table of numbers so you won't be ignorant anymore.
                  Ignorant = one without the knowledge
                  I'm trying to enlighten you
                  Show you that healthcare costs have been growing at over 10% per year for over 50years
                  And the last 10 year's it has only grown 5% per year

But you want to complain about the last 5 years of increases at 5% per year, when I'm trying to point out to you that the 45 years prior to that the costs increased 10% per year

You're being stubborn right now
                  You only see what you want to see

I understand your pain at your pocketbook but I'm trying to show you that the fix has been in for over 50 years.
                  Just look at the data.
                  It's more simple than balancing a checkbook.
                  Last edited by texansfan; 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

When the government said we are REQUIRED BY LAW to have health insurance or pay a penalty, insurance costs went up. It went up because the GOVERNMENT dictated that we had no viable option other than getting insurance.
                    Ask your current REPUBLICAN politicians why won't they do a FULL REPEAL of this law then?
                    Ask them.

I don't think you're ready for the answer.
                    You do realize that REPUBLICANS have voted to KEEP this mean health insurance law on the books EXACTLY AS OBAMA PENNED IT,right?

For what reason(s)?

Nobody is asking the tough questions.
                    Why won't they fully repeal Obamacare?
                    Obama is smoking a joint with Branson on Necker Island somewhere and we are still bickering about what he wrote years ago that we can so easily unwrite

But why won't we.
                    Have I asked that question before?

Why are REPUBLICANS, namely JOHN MCCAIN, leaving Obamacare on the books.

Keep ranting about liberals when Republicans are giving us the shaft.

When these REPUBLICANS in office outlaw our bumpstop triggers then maybe just maybe y'all will see the light.
                    Last edited by texansfan; 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--Jan. 23, 2017-- Today eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) (eHealth.com), the nation’s first and largest private online health insurance exchange, released an analysis of individual and family health insurance shopping trends for the first two months of the 2017 open enrollment period.

So here is one source for the increased premiums we pay since Obamacare

Comment

https://news.ehealthinsurance.com/ne...-shopping-data

So here is one source for the increased premiums we pay since Obamacare
                        You're pretty smart and adept enough to Google on your smartphone. Can you ask the Republican politicians that voted against a FULL REPEAL why they did so?

There were 39 republicans that voted against Obamacare on Christmas Eve in 2009.
                        Of those that are senators today, let's find out why they are not 100% committed to repealing Obamacare.

Comment

My congressman and senator are staying the course. I live next door to my congressmans son, and keep my senator's email on my favorites list. I'm right there with you on the on holding the others accountable.

Comment

Working...
                          X