My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Venison BLT Cheeseburgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wild Kitchen - New Post - Venison BLT Cheeseburgers

I've missed the green screen! My computer was out of commission for over a week and I wasn't able to write anything new. But I'm back!

Click image for larger version

Name:	34 Venison BLT Cheeseburgers (420x420).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	25092949

In this recipe I share my amateurish experience will indirect heat on the bbq pit. I learned from a few mistakes, but we ended up with a delicious bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed supper. I hope you enjoy, and if you have any tips or advice please consider leaving a comment on my website. Oh, and please don't judge me for the video. My camera man (me) didn't do a very good job and it was HOT and SUNNY.

Get. In. My. Belly.

Comment

LOL, fire starter thingy! Too cool.

Comment

I want one. Or 12. Looks awesome.

Comment

Oh Yum! On my list to try!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

That looks delicious

Comment

Looks great...I get sausage made every year that has cheese in it...high heat cheese has a low melting point..I see you used cheddar...I have no idea what he uses but when I smoke the sausage slow it stays fairly firm...
                Last edited by SwampRanger; 08-13-2016, 08:47 PM. Reason: Edit

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                  Looks great...I get sausage made every year that has cheese in it...high heat cheese has a low melting point..I see you used cheddar...I have no idea what he uses but when I smoke the sausage slow it stays fairly firm...
                  There is a difference between the cheddar I get at Wal-Mart and the high quality stuff they use at processors. I did want it to melt, but melt slowly. I was happy with the cheddar, but I would have preferred to have taken the time to let it rest before cutting into it.

Comment

I tried this today and it was pretty darn good. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Coachs Wife View Post
                      There is a difference between the cheddar I get at Wal-Mart and the high quality stuff they use at processors. I did want it to melt, but melt slowly. I was happy with the cheddar, but I would have preferred to have taken the time to let it rest before cutting into it.
                      I missed this one... and it had a video! Awesome recipe and nice video

A couple of things since you asked for feedback (I sometimes read all the way to the bottom...)

That weber charcoal thingy... it is called a chimney starter. Now you know

Technically, they way I have been taught, you were smoking and not grilling... and that is an important distinction for a couple of reasons because it has an impact on your results.

When you grill, you are cooking directly over a flame (unless you are using your grill to cook indirectly.... which is still called grilling... but there is still a major point to this...) The point is when you grill, the temps are high. If you are directly grilling over the flame, you are cooking at 350+ degree temperatures. Things will cook faster. Even when you are using indirect grilling (usually not using the center burner) you are typically still at 350+ degree temperatures.

When you smoke, you are doing indirect cooking and there is no flame under the food. The temps are much lower (in the 200-250 degree range.) This has 2 impacts.

1) When smoking, if you look at the outside, it will look done a lot sooner than it will be done inside. I think you witnessed that for yourself first hand. Smoking times are typically many factors longer than grilling because of the amount of heat that is surrounding the meat.

2) Cheese usually has a pretty low melting temperature... somewhere around 150 degrees or something like that. When you smoke, it takes a lot longer for that internal temperature to reach that temperature or higher and therefor you can often times get away with regular temp cheese. Also note that not all Cheddar is made the same... I've heard that "Mexican Cheddar" has a lot higher melting point... they make high temp cheese higher melting point by adding stuff to it... so who knows what is in "Mexican style cheese!" Back to my point though... when you grill, you often times get the temperatures higher quicker and your run the risk of the cheese melting off very quickly... and running out leaving you a hollow spot where the cheese was.

Great job by the way. My wife starting grilling years ago and now does the major share of grilling these days. If I am grilling, you will find me asking my her how much time each side for the brats or the boudin . Because I don't own the grill any more... I now run the smoker (it is an electric though) which she hasn't touched.... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        I missed this one... and it had a video! Awesome recipe and nice video
                        Thanks for the tips! We broke the wheels off our pit so my training days are on hold until we get it stabilized.

Comment

Working...
                        X