X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High fence across a lake?

I just bought another 70 acres.
    I plan to have a 12 acer lake built.
    It will back water up on another property as well as mine.
    In the end, I will need to fence across about 100 yards of water about 12 foot deep in the middle.
    what is the best way to do this?
    I was thinking about running a cable Bank to bank and hanging the fence from it.
    Anybody already sorted this out on their place?
    Thanks
    Buff

Hmmm I think you are already on to a great idea with the cable. I'm going to do a little research on this.

Comment

I assume the other property owner is OK with the water? Sorry no help on the fence.

Comment

There's several reputable high fence companies on the internet here in Texas that I'm sure can offer several suggestions. Surely this wouldn't be their first either. Good Luck1

Comment

After the dirt work is done on the lake you could cement some thick galvanized pipe in the ground and make sure its tall enough to reach the water surface plus however tall your fence is. Just make sure you do that before you flood the lake!

Comment

Better check with a lawyer about them crossing the boundry while in a boat. You own the land and the state owns the water. That's what I have been told. I know it's that way with government conservation dams. They cannot get out of the boat on your land but free to boat anywhere on the lake.

Comment

Anything I say or advise may raise your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                Better check with a lawyer about them crossing the boundry while in a boat. You own the land and the state owns the water. That's what I have been told. I know it's that way with government conservation dams. They cannot get out of the boat on your land but free to boat anywhere on the lake.
                That's only for navigable water not a private pond.

I would run cable and hang chain link from it like a shower curtain. You might have to set some big poles in the lake bed about every 20 foot to hold up the weight.

Comment

I have a tendency to overbuild things, & in my mind, this is going to be a pretty good undertaking.

Visualizing this off the top of my head, this is how I'd do it.....

All my posts & corners would be 3" pipe, and I would DRIVE them with a trackhoe. You can get them DEEP this way. I would get them as deep as I could. I'd have to have some posts in the water, and they're gonna need to be set pretty deep. You're looking at a 25' stick alteast depending on how deep you can get the posts, and how tall the net wire is.
                  The posts in the water would also get stiff legs, perp. to the fence. You would never see them, as they would be under water. I would do two strands of cable, one on top, and one on bottom(of the wire). As far as the spacing on the posts..........the cable is going to help keep the wire straight, so you could probably get by with 15'...maybe 20.

Build your H Braces stout, as they are holding all the weight. Double H's w/a leg brace.

Maybe overkill, but not in my mind.

Comment

One thought came to my mind--how are you going to replace the wire once it rusts away?

Comment

So when will the first duck hunt be

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                        Anything I say or advise may raise your taxes.

WOW
                        That is so NOT funny

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          One thought came to my mind--how are you going to replace the wire once it rusts away?
                          I figure good wire will last 20 years.
                          Im 55 now so in 20 years I most likely will not care how my kids change it out

Comment

What about a batting cage net.

Comment

Contact le fence company

Comment

Working...
                              X