grainger hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grainger hunt

now that deer season is almost over...anyone interested in getting a hunt going out there,the reason i ask is because i have never been there and havent a clue where to go....i know they have grainger ranger outing comming up soon but dont know when...thanks for looking

Hillbilly,

Live up the road from you in Georgetown. Count me in. Been here 1.5 yrs and have not made it out yet......so I dont know much other than what one of the park workers told me. Short drive, walk in the woods, chance to put something down - heck yeah.

Keep details posted!

John

Comment

cool, i have a friend thats getting a bow for xmass,looking to do some scouting and checking out if we can bait and how,next weekend seeing how its looking like a 3 day weekend. also i got a sack of corn soaking in cheap beer i was told it works pretty well dont know for sure

Comment

Baiting is allowed at Granger. Let me know when you are headed out that way, I might be able to join you.

I buried a couple gallons of sour corn out there a while back. Next morning it looked like a land mine crater.

There's lots of hogs out there, but I've never been able to catch up with them. I've been thinking the best way to do it is for a few guys to set up a spot and keep it baited every day. I
        can't get out there often enough to do it myself, but I could help out once a week or so.

Comment

sour corn? how deep did you bury it? and how far off the road did you go?

Comment

I found what looked like pretty fresh sign, and buried it about 2' down. They hit it before I got back the next morning.

Finding sign out there is never a problem. I've just never been able to find pigs.

Comment

i guess thats why they call it hunting.....what road do you park on or where? and if your baiting do you still have to wear orange and if so how much,that way i can outfit my friend...also which works best, ground blind or tree stand?

Comment

Originally posted by pflugerville hillbilly View Post
                i guess thats why they call it hunting.....what road do you park on or where? and if your baiting do you still have to wear orange and if so how much,that way i can outfit my friend...also which works best, ground blind or tree stand?

I keep telling you I've never killed a hog out there, I'm probably not the best guy to tell you where and how to hunt

You do have to wear orange, hat and vest, unless you are hunting doves or ducks. From what I have heard, they will ding you for it if they see you without your orange.

Comment

remember not only the orange, but both of you need the $48 annual hunting permit you can buy anywhere hunting/fishing licenses are sold.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJon View Post
                    I keep telling you I've never killed a hog out there, I'm probably not the best guy to tell you where and how to hunt

You do have to wear orange, hat and vest, unless you are hunting doves or ducks. From what I have heard, they will ding you for it if they see you without your orange.
                    well when you go, do you hunt from tree or ground? because i have 2 tree and 2 ground blinds, i read alot of people dont get anything either

Comment

I've done it all. Ground blinds, climbers, spot and stalk (just without the spot). There are good trees for climbing stands. They all work the same for me

Bring some small game heads, there's plenty of squirrels and rabbits. Seems like I see deer out there all the time, and turkeys every once in a while. Armadillos, too, but I've never been that hungry.

You should at least go home with some poison ivy

Comment

how did you do your corn?.....i put a 5 gallon homer bucket full of corn and a 12 pack of chear beer,how soaked must i get the corn?...anybody out there do this before??we are going to tpw on wensday to get the permit and books.i know i can go down the street to get it but i dont want to wait for the books...looking to go bait on fri and hunt on sat/sun

Comment

Fill your bucket 1/2 to 2/3 with corn, it swells up. I just cover it with water, add one beer, put the top on loosely and sit it out in the sun for a week or so. you might need to add water every so often. It will get stinky pretty soon, you will notice.

Comment

I am in I know a couple of spots to try. Tex Jon was that you burying corn back behind the dam if so they where hitting that spot hard

Comment

i guesse i better move it out of the garage..... whats a good time to bury it in the morning or the afternoon and can you bait and hunt the same day if not, who is up for sat morning hunt and where do we check in to hunt the dam? sound off if interested.....

Comment

Working...
                              X