Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default Range Rover, Land Rover questions ?

Anyone drive one ? What ya think about them ? And idea what the resale value are so low ?
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

No body wants to own one with out a warranty. Jaguar, Porsche, and Land rover are super expensive to maintain. They all have second owner programs. Third owner pays..........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

A lot depends on the year and model, and how it has been cared for. What are you looking at?
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
44mAG
Ten Point

I have heard that besides the status symbol part of it, they are horrible vehicles to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

They are the nicest place to wait for a tow truck. If you want the capability buy a Land Cruiser.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
Strummer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
A lot depends on the year and model, and how it has been cared for. What are you looking at?

About a 2012. To 2014
Old 05-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I have owned a LOT of vehicles...but my older (late 90's) Land Rover was the worst vehicle I ever owned. Rode like a dream but had issue after issue. I heard not much has changed after they get some miles on them.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Strummer
Pope & Young

What about Acuraís or infinityís ?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
My wife has a 2011 Infinity G37 sedan with 140k trouble free miles. Sheís considered getting another Infinity suv in the next few months.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

I have 150k miles on a 2010 range rover sport and it's been a great ride. My wife and I switch back and forth driving it.

It's the 510hp supercharged model and it hauls tail. I have hurt lots of mustang drivers feelings in that ride!

Only bad thing is the gas mileage is not so good.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Dlion0721
Spike

Hunt In: Matagorda

I’ve only driven Land Rovers for the past decade and love them. I’ve had a 2003 Discovery, 2010 LR4 and a 2012 Range Rover. All have been terrific vehicles, reliable, comfortable, etc. Routine maintenance is more expensive than some vehicles but most know that going in.

Edit it to add I drove all of these vehicles pretty hard - Discovery was bought with 60k miles on it and I sold it when it had 130k miles, LR4 had 20k miles when bought and sold it at 115k and RR had 35k miles when bought and still driving it at 88k miles.

Last edited by Dlion0721; 05-04-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Dlion0721 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
mikerosa
Eight Point

Long time car dealer here and worked for Land Rover.

They are impossible to fix once they break. TaTa is making them a little better but still not good.

Had a deal last week kick from Ally Bank because the ESC on this Range Rover was $8890.

Buy something else like an Escalade maybe ?

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #13
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Buy a Lexus GX460.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #14
Johnny44
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
They are the nicest place to wait for a tow truck.
This is spot on my experience on each one I owned. I NEVER went on a trip without a breakdown or broken component. Sure, it was under warranty but I didn’t recoup the thousands of lost dollars cutting my trips short and either limping back to a dealer or having to get it hauled to one.

One trip I had three different parts broken in my air suspension and was hell bent on making it from upper Maine down to the dealer in Alexandria Virginia so I could save some money and lodge on Bolling AFB close by. By the time I arrived I had done over 40,000 damage and had sparks flying from other things that failed.

They fixed it...When I got back to San Antonio the dealer told me I wasn’t the typical Land Rover user because I slept in it and actually used it. That was the last day I owned a Land Rover

Trash, every dang one of them.

Last edited by Johnny44; 05-05-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #15
Johnny44
Eight Point

Oh and the routine maintenance is BS. Before each trip I had a documented inspection performed and the completely missed certain items that I knew for sure were gonna fail.

They suck, but buddy they are the best place to wait.

The best you are going to get is a rare bird, its a 2005 LR3 with the Ford V6 and an air suspension to shock and spring conversion kit from Atlantic British.

Plus they have a weird dealer Mafia

Wait, heres the funny part...I went to a GMC and two things happened. First, every time it rained my wife said “My Land Rover never slid around like this”, and I’ll be danged if it weren't in the shop more than the Range/Land Rovers until I got rid of it too. It was much easier to make it to a GMC dealer though.

Last edited by Johnny44; 05-05-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #16
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I’ve never owned a Range Rover but my friends that have feel like most of the guys on here have stated, just not very reliable. We’ve had great experiences with Lexus and Infiniti, both have been extremely reliable.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

We have the 2016 RR supercharged. It’s the best and most impressive SUV I’ve ever driven and I’m terrified about its future past the warranty.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #18
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Both awesome vehicles.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #19
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
We've owned multiple Infiniti SUVs and wouldn't hesitate to own another. Have only heard good things about Acuras too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #20
mikerosa
Eight Point

Oh forgot to add this.

If you like a Range Rover, you will love the BMW X5. Why ? They are pretty much the same derivative.

How so ?

BMW owned Land Rover before selling it to Ford. In 2003 Land Rover introduced the next generation Range Rover. Many of the parts from the new Range Rover interchanged with the X5. The 4.4 engine was all BMW.

BMW took the off road tidbits from Land Rovers 3 models , Range Rover, Discovery and Freelander to develop their own line up of SUVís to supplement the awesome auto line up of BMW. BMW then sold the company to Ford.

Being the 4.4 had patent rights to BMW, Ford had to pay for each engine. Ford eventually produced the LR3 with a 300 HP in order to stare down BMW and their demands for engine royalties.

So all in all, that BMW X5 is about as close as you will find to a Range Rover. Developers have tweaked them since, but by and large, look at them both, not much has changed. Land Rover came out with the Super Sport/Charged a mini Luxury Rover later. Not sure if itís Ford Explorer or not. But the tail gate on the Range Rover looks like it could interchange with the Ford Explorer.

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #21
Strummer
Pope & Young

Well thanks guys , Range Rover is out of the picture. I knew there had to be a reason the resale was so low. Was finding 2012- 2104 for around 16 to 20 grand . Anywhere from 80 to 100k miles
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Too rich for my blood.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:

Wife is on her 2nd Infiniti SUV. Her 2013 has 108,000 miles on it and has never given us a problem. The regular maintenance at the dealership is ridiculously expensive, but itís a dang fine car.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

The resale value is low because they are garbage.

Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, all make better SUVs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #25
Dlion0721
Spike

Quote:
Well thanks guys , Range Rover is out of the picture. I knew there had to be a reason the resale was so low. Was finding 2012- 2104 for around 16 to 20 grand . Anywhere from 80 to 100k miles
I’m about to trade in my 2012 RR with 85k miles on it for $19.5k and probably get a Yukon. I don’t think that is that low of a resale value for a 7 year old vehicle with close to 100k miles on it. Range Rovers are not that much more expensive than any other SUV out there (especially before the current body style). Sure they don’t hold resale like a LX but not many vehicles do. I imagine it is on par with the Cadillacs, BMWs, etc. I know everybody likes to toss in how expensive and unreliable these vehicles are but it just hasn’t been my experience (owning three different LR vehicles) or the experience of every friend of mine who has one. Most people I know who drive LRs continue to do so until they need a type of vehicle LR doesn’t make (as I am about to do).

All that said if I was getting a vehicle in the $16k-$20k range I would steer clear of any luxury vehicle (other than Lexus). Even if nothing goes wrong maintenance is always going to cost considerably more than say a Chevy, Ford or Toyota product and as a vehicle ages I always try to do more routine maintenance than for a newer vehicle. I love LandCruisers and probably would just get as new of one of those that fits the budget.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #26
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Didnít go through all of the responses but I bought one (slightly used) for my wife several years ago. While we owned it the warranty expired. The repair costs are just stupid. The one that made me blow my gasket and sell it was the bill for just shy of $1,100 to CHANGE THE BRAKE PADS.

That Range Rover rode like a dream and was an awesome vehicle to ride in a drive. I just didnít like what the experience when it went to the shop.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Dlion0721
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
Didnít go through all of the responses but I bought one (slightly used) for my wife several years ago. While we owned it the warranty expired. The repair costs are just stupid. The one that made me blow my gasket and sell it was the bill for just shy of $1,100 to CHANGE THE BRAKE PADS.

That Range Rover rode like a dream and was an awesome vehicle to ride in a drive. I just didnít like what the experience when it went to the shop.
Out of curiosity is this at a dealership? I had this done two weeks ago and just looked at the bill and it was $563 at the shop I take my RR too (no idea how this price compares to other vehicle makes). I have never owned a LR in warranty so have never used a dealership for repairs so just curious.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #28
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

We donít have a dealership here but there is a factory certified repair center. I called several actual dealers and their pricing was comparable.

In all fairness, this was 8 years ago.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #29
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
We donít have a dealership here but there is a factory certified repair center. I called several actual dealers and their pricing was comparable.

In all fairness, this was 8 years ago.
Worse now. I got quoted 3k for brake pads at 20k miles. Went to a specialty import car place and got it done for much, much less.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Some correct info and lots of misinformation in here. Reliability and problems will vary with each model and year. I’ve owned 5 Land Rovers personally, and my wife currently drives an 08 Range Rover Supercharged, and my dad drives a 15 LR4.

The P38 Range Rovers and the Dicovery II’s were the worst of them all IMO. Ford rushed to turn out a new product as soon as they bought Land Rover and they will all have a laundry list of failures at some point, including head gaskets, engine blocks cracking, etc.

The 03-05 Range Rovers did use a BMW engine and some electronics, but that’s where the similarities end with an X5. My wife had an 08 before her Range Rover and it was just a car with a taller body on it. I did a U-turn over a median with it once and it felt like it was going to rip in half. We got rid of it when it needed new catalytic converters to the tune of $5,000 when it was 3k miles out of warranty. BMW NA told me to get bent. The interior was also equivalent to an old Hyundai after being in a Range Rover.

The 06+ Range Rovers use a Jaguar engine that is solid, but it was adapted to the platform with some electronics that had minor issues. 08-10 are pretty dang bulletproof, I’m not as familiar with the newer models.

Hers has 133k miles on it, besides brakes, oil changes, and tires, the only work I’ve done in it was replace an air strut. It was under $500 and took me less than an hour to install. To be fair, the TPMS does throw a “check tire pressure” code intermittently, the lower front control arm bushings are getting worn and need to be replaced, and the return spring inside the door lock broke the other day. The door still opens fine but the key doesn’t re-center itself.

If you want one purely because they are cheap secondhand they aren’t the car for you. If you want one of the best driving vehicles there is and are willing to put up with some maintenance and temperament from time to time, they are worth looking at. Hers had a sticker of $98,500 new, we paid $26,000 for it. There isn’t a better balance of performance and comfort IMO, and I’ve driven quite a few high end vehicles.

I’ll bet most 08+ Range Rovers will have cheaper repair bills than 08+ 3/4 ton diesels, to put that in perspective.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-05-2019 at 08:01 PM.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #31
Deer Tamales
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan/Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Buy a Lexus GX460.
This is what we did. When trading in my wifeís Acura we looked at al the luxury suvís. Narrowed it down to an Escalade and a Lexus. Wife says she will never own anything but a Lexus now. Ours has the v8 and is a blast to drive.
Deer Tamales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #32
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Tamales View Post
This is what we did. When trading in my wifeís Acura we looked at al the luxury suvís. Narrowed it down to an Escalade and a Lexus. Wife says she will never own anything but a Lexus now. Ours has the v8 and is a blast to drive.
I get out of my old Z71 and into that thing, and it feels like driving a **** yacht. So smooth and powerful.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #33
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Tamales View Post
We had two in a row, and by we, I mean my wife. They drove great, but I absolutely hated the breaks with a passion. Bought an Infiniti qx80, and I love it in comparison. Still has a few things that need improvement in my mind, but it's way better than the Lexus in my opinion. But I like the ride and feel of a truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smell the Glove View Post
Worse now. I got quoted 3k for brake pads at 20k miles. Went to a specialty import car place and got it done for much, much less.

Why would any vehicle need brake pads at 20k miles?!?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
Full Throttle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Wife is driving a new 2019 Velar. Fun little car to drive. I leased it as Iíve heard the horror stories as well. Will turn it in in 4 years. Momma wanted one so thatís what we got...

Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #36
bswift355
Four Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

My wife loves her Range Rover Sport supercharged. She is on her third one (2019). We trade in every three years. Never had an issue. She wont own anything else. 515 hp AWD is fun to drive. I have had it off road and used it during the floods. **** thing is bulletproof. They sucked when ford use to own them.
bswift355 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #37
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Why would any vehicle need brake pads at 20k miles?!?
Or gets mad at someone charging a price for a job they dont want to do in 30 or so minutes.. knowing they bought a luxury vehicle that comes with upsold maintenance.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #38
Strummer
Pope & Young

The Range Rover is off the list , looking at Acura,infinity and Lexus . Seen a Benz I might look at too .
Old 05-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #39
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

My wife has the LR4...Ö.definitely bullet proof, zero complaints! I cant wait until they deaux a truck someday!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Wife is driving a new 2019 Velar. Fun little car to drive. I leased it as Iíve heard the horror stories as well. Will turn it in in 4 years. Momma wanted one so thatís what we got...

We are looking at the VELAR as we talk about RR. That thing is beautiful and sexy as heck, but the wife is in love with her LR4!!!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #40
Payne346
Eight Point

Quote:
The Range Rover is off the list , looking at Acura,infinity and Lexus . Seen a Benz I might look at too .
Just my 2cents here....CPO Benz is the way to go. Have owned 2 now and the warranty is the best Iíve seen. You get 3 years bumper to bumper and all maintenance paid for too. You can save 20-30% buying certified pre-owned. Best service by far I have ever experienced as well.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top